View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nails... :-(
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:28 pm 
Penguin

Ok, I have a problem. I cant stop biting my nails. I dont even have nails basically. I try to catch myself doing it but its like I am Addicted to it. Please help, i want to look presentable when people see me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 pm 
born to perform.

Wow just stop. I would think a magician thinks a lot more about presentablility and appearance at all times and what other people perceieve them as. -.-;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:17 am 
born to perform.

Get a manacure before performing and don't bite on your way to a show, or just smack yourself really hard everytime you bit your nails I'm sure you'll stop soon.

Post subject: Re: Nails... :-(
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:43 am 
born to perform.

reminis16 wrote:
Ok, I have a problem. I cant stop biting my nails. I dont even have nails basically. I try to catch myself doing it but its like I am Addicted to it. Please help, I want to look presentable when people see me.

It's a habit that is not easy to overcome. What you really need to do is identify what's happening during the times when you're biting. Are you nervous about something? Is it a particular time of day? etc. Once you have that "nailed", then you might be able to find away to distract yourself during those times. If these times can be identified, try chewing gum during those times. You might try doing a google search for remedies against nail biting, or something like that.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 pm 
born to perform.

Nail-biting, like many other habits, becomes automatic...you don't notice you'r edoing it until you've actually been doing it for a while, and the damage is done. It's not that easy to "just stop."

However, there's this stuff you can buy to help you quit biting your nails. If I remember correctly, it's basically a clear tannic acid solution that you brush on your nails. It is totally harmless, but it tastes awful The idea is that as soon as you put your finger in your mouth, you get this terrible bitter taste which "reminds" you to stop biting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:30 pm 
born to perform.

more than jus remind you, that stuff tastes like [edited]. It stays in your mouth for ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:38 pm 
born to perform.

funny story about that stuff. My friend's brother used to chew his shirts a lot. Some much taht on the front of all his shirts there would be huge holes. This happened to every shirt. THey got that stuff and sprayed it on the shirt. He siad at first it was bad, but then he got used to it. He countinued to chew on his shirts with the stuff on, he became immune to it. It is so funny.

ben winter
ps. for him vinegar worked to stopp chewing the shirts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:31 pm 
born to perform.

biting your nails is often a sign of stress. when my mom got married, and we moved, i started biting my nails, but stopped soon after. is your life stressful? try to relax and have fun, and hopefully you will overcome the urge of biting your nails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:40 pm 
Penguin

The cure for nail-biting is getting braces. That put an end to it for me. I would cut myslf if I tried now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:27 pm 
Penguin

get that crappy tasting nail paint that is clear. It helped me stop a few years back. It is clear and tastes so nasty, it was called no-bite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:30 pm 
Penguin

ps-why the heck did you post this?it has nothing to do with magic, and is not something we can help you with? this should not even be posted in the off topic section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:46 am 

Actually, this is a great place for it to be posted because it has everything to do with magic. Magic is more than just presentation and technique, it's also outward appearance. How to dress and avoiding bad habits that make you look unprofessional should go here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:07 am 
Emperor Penguin

Also Duct tape could work wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:10 am 

So could clipping them so short that it hurts to bite them. I know a few people that this worked for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:50 am 
born to perform.

deriko wrote:
ps-why the heck did you post this?it has nothing to do with magic, and is not something we can help you with? this should not even be posted in the off topic section

Did you know you can edit your post to add something to it, such as, "ps-why the heck did you..."?

It's better than back to back postings by the same person.

You could always where gloves when you perform. Never mind. That won't work. Nail-biting is a hard habit to quit. The problem is that sometimes you're doing it without realizing it. Then once you do, it's too late...or...you can't just leave that nail hanging like that...I'll just bite it off to even it out. Next thing you know, you've bitten it so low that it hurts. Not only is it unsightly, but it's uncomfortable. Good luck on the cure.