View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How old untill you get a resturant job
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:01 pm 
Penguin

im 14 and would like to get a magic job but i dont no if they want a 14 year old doing magic in the resturant im good and all ways get people suronding me at school asking me to do trick and watching me do them and freaking out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 pm 
Penguin

If you are only 14, they aren't going to hire you.
Sorry.
Mostly because almost all restaurants serve beer, wine, ect. and the management will not take responsibility if a drunk hurts you.
They will also doubt your ability to adapt to different situations, a neccecity in restaurant magic.

Please understand, I don't mean that you should give up. Just wait. Try when you're 16-18. You'll be more experienced, know more people, and in the mean time go to see other restaurant performers.

I got my first restaurant at 16 working for tips. I stayed for a year, then left for another restraurant. The owner of the first place saw me at the new one a year later (I was then 18yrs old). He told me that he wasn't sure it was me. My skill, my style, my effects, my patter, my audience management: he said everything was 1000% better. There were effects that I was worried about performing in his restaurant, that I did without thinking now.

My point is that your magic will change alot in a few years. Get a little older, get more experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:39 pm 
Penguin

Thank how do you think i could make many doing magic now like birthday party because alot of people tell me thats what i should do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:45 pm 
Penguin

Birthday parties work. But do them for younger children. Beyond that do a lot of street magic. You might not make any money, but it gets your name out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:51 pm 
Penguin

ya i do magic at school and every one nos me but when i go to do street magic every one doesnt want to see what i want to show them they just asum im no good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:55 pm 
born to perform.

Unfortunately, by the time you are ready to perform for birthday parties for younger children, you will at least be old enough to work in the restaurant. Kids shows is not something you can just jump into and be successful. It takes a lot of research, practice and time. For now you'd be better off on the street begging for tips. Busking is not easy either, but if you try and jump into doing kids shows, you will surely fail. But don't let that stop you from researching. If you're interested in kids shows, then start studying. Check out the kids show forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:03 pm 
Penguin

It is illegal to do street magic for tips ina lot of places and the cops will bust you. Check out your local laws first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:15 pm 

Judging by some of your recent questions, I doubt you have the skill, knowledge, or experience to work hardcore jobs like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:31 pm 
born to perform.

kids are hard, but once you understand them you learn to entertain them and learn what they like easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah I am 14 and have about 6 years experience in magic. I do parties shows for families, at my school, on the street and at hospitals. Now I want to get into table hopping. I'm going to try and get a job. I know I am able to do this because I have over 2 years experience in street magic which goes really great for me. Now to have people sitting at a table and having them know the restaurant has hired you they will watch and not jump all over you and grab your cards and stuff. The audience will be easy to control. So I think I am ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:08 am 

Jordan7 wrote:
Yeah I am 14 and have about 6 years experience in magic. ...Now to have people sitting at a table and having them know the restaurant has hired you they will watch and not jump all over you and grab your cards and stuff. The audience will be easy to control. So I think I am ready.

Well it is obvious that you on't know what you are talking about. At 14 you are way too young to try to get a restaurant job. What do you say when the restaurant asks for a copy of your liability insurance? If you are working restaurants without insurance, you're really too dumb to be doing tricks at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:07 pm 
Penguin

This may sound dumb but what is liability insurance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:34 pm 
born to perform.

It wouldn't be a stupid question, ajs...if you didn't have
-Answers.com
-Wikipedia
-Dictionary.com
-Ask Jeeves
-Google
-Yahoo

The laziness on this forum is absolutely astounding. If you think it's a stupid question, why don't you just look it up? Anyway, here you go, a definition of liability insurance:

Liability insurance is a part of the general insurance system of risk transference. Originally, individuals or companies that faced a common peril, formed a group and created a self-help fund out of which to pay compensation should any member incur loss. The modern system relies on dedicated carriers to offer protection against specified perils in consideration of a premium. Liability insurance is designed to offer specific protection against third party claims, i.e., payment is not typically made to the insured, but rather to someone suffering loss who is not a party to the insurance contract. In general, damage caused intentionally and contractual liability are not covered under liability insurance policies. When a claim is made, the insurance carrier has the right to defend the insured. The legal costs of a defence are not affected by any policy limits, which is useful because they can be significant where long trials are held to determine either fault or the amount of damages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:18 am 

ajs wrote:
This may sound dumb but what is liability insurance?

You're right, it does sound dumb.

By the way the MINIMUM, absolute minimum you need is US$2,000,000.00 Yep that is Two Million U.S. dollars. Now in case you think it is not necessary just think of what if you are doing a "trick" and you accidentally knock over a glass of water (or wine) onto a ladies dress and stain or ruin it. Without liability insurance say goodbye to your (or your parents) car, savings, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:00 pm 
born to perform.

yep i hae both £5,000,000 as a tennis coach and £5,000,000 as a magician, if you drop a watch on someones foot, and they sue, it sounds stupid but you need to be covered, if someone slips over playing tennis, it may not be my fault but i need to be covered.