View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trying to get a Restaurant gig, $200 budget.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:29 am 
Penguin

Ok so, I have been considering doing restaurant magic for a few months now. I finally have enough extra money to start putting together some solid routines and buy any thing extra that may help me out when trying to get the job. At this point I do a lot of card magic. I was reading through these forums looking for some ideas and I see that a main suggestion is to write down your top 3 effects and use those. I sat down and thought about it and my top 3 effects (best reaction) are:

Ultimate Transpo
Razor Blade Eating
Sinful

(probably same reaction as others)and just about any thing with my TT.
Pouring salt into my hand vanishing it and bringing it back by pouring it into a spectators hand seems to be huge.

For some reason out of the MANY effects I do these seem to get amazing reactions. Some times beyond amazing. Now I know that Razor Blade Eating wouldnt be for every one, maybe a group of guys out to have a good time or some people at a bar. Not a family act or some thing for a group of old ladies celebrating their 80th birthday. Other effects I have
been considering are:

Third Degree Burn
Torch to Rose
I would like to get the Flame TT because it seems like I can do a lot of gags and a set of running magic with fire. Produce a flame, grab a flame from a candle on the table or some ones lighter and go into a version of Third Degree Burn I have been thinking about.

Any more suggestions or table magic classics you would recommend would be really appreciated. People also like my card to ceiling but I would have to talk to the owner about that. Like I said I have around $200 to spend on extra effects and things I dont already have. Other little walk around effects I thought would be cool that I do are Banacheks This and That and bill in kiwi. I have really given this a lot of thought and just started putting together all of the effects I have had floating around in my head for possible table magic. I would guess actually doing this is around a month or more away before I even go out and start looking or presenting my magic. Any advice or help any one could offer would be greatly appreciated thanks a lot guys!

-Mathiu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:30 pm 
Penguin

I have to say Micheal Skinner's ultimate three card monte. Great effect its completely gimmicked but it is just amazing, the handlings are almost all in the hands so no need for spectator examination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:03 pm 

Eating razor blades and Sinful shouldn't even be near the list of things to do tablehopping. Eating razors just isn't kosher and Sinful would be messy and not cost effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:46 pm 
Penguin

I know, I wasnt considering sinful at all I was just saying as far as reactions go that was one of my top 3. Razor Blade Eating I was only considering in bar type areas/situations when people are drunk and they ask you to do some thing crazy. Other than those 2 things any other advice?

Apparently I am really good as making balloon animals as well (not like its that hard). I just got a DVD today and a bag of balloons and I can already make every thing on the DVD with no problem. I think I can make about 10 different animals/objects at this point. So I guess that will be another thing I can add for kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:35 am 

The very first thing you must have to work restaurants is LIABILITY INSURANCE. This will cost you a little over $100.

Yes it is necessary. I nailed one entertainer for 3 restaurants with one cold call. I had no idea that the chain had a magician and went to a general manager with my sales pitch. During the pitch I always show my proof of insurance (I leave them a copy when they use me.) He was astounded that I had insurance and when I started to say it protected the restaurant, he said "I know. Can you start this Tuesday." He then told me that they already had a magician but just fired him. When I looked surprised he explained that my insurance sold the job. I have 3 nights a week with this chain at a good rate.

Get the insurance.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 am 
Penguin

Paddy, thanks a lot I really appreciate any input you can give me. I know you wrote a book on this stuff and this is how you make a living so I really appreciate any thing you offer me.

For the liability insurance is this a 1 time fee of $100, a monthly fee or a yearly fee?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:39 am 
born to perform.

I don't think you should do anything at a table that considers putting things in your mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:22 am 
born to perform.

I'm PM'ing you a suggestion, since it involves another site.

Also, you may want to look into Sponge Balls. Cheap, easy to learn, and with a good performance you can mesmerize any table with children. I don't do restaurants, but for children's parties it's a killer. Should be easy to adapt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 pm 
Penguin

When working resturants you must also consider the following when deciding what effcts to use: size, portability, reset time, overall appeal and suitability for the audience.
Here are some of the effects that I have used with good success... Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Sponge Balls, Chop Cup, Card on the Ceiling, Mike Skinner's Three Card MOnte (Penguin Monte is the same I am told),Coin Matrix,Scotch and Soda,Coins Through thre Hand, Saltshaker Through the Table. Thumbtip tricks.
There are many more I could list, but I think you get the idea... G rated, easy or no set up, variety, surprising climaxes. All of the listed trick can be presented in an entertaining and non-confrontational way. I found that at each table I would perform 3 or 4 effects and move on to the next table. So I had 12 effects as my main working platform and would very the effects from table to table. I worked out of my pockets and out of an apron. I carried the entire 12 tricks with me and had them well organized and at my fingertips. Nothing is worse than a fumbling magician.