View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question for jobs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:59 am 
Penguin

Im thinking about getting a job as a walkaround, do i just ask the owner about it? Who and what are the steps to getting a job at a restaurant. Thanks

Seacow(dont ask really)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:41 am 
Penguin

There are PLENTY of posts as stickies and as regular posts on here that can give you MORE then enough answers to your question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm 

you are not ready to even think of getting a gig in a restaurant. In order to be a restaurant magi, it requires hours of practice followed by hours of rehearsals, followed by expanding your education with more effects.

You have taken the lazy person's way out by posting one question here and failing to do any research at all about the subject. If these same habits apply to your magic, you will not come close to succeeding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:42 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
you are not ready to even think of getting a gig in a restaurant. In order to be a restaurant magi, it requires hours of practice followed by hours of rehearsals, followed by expanding your education with more effects.

You have taken the lazy person's way out by posting one question here and failing to do any research at all about the subject. If these same habits apply to your magic, you will not come close to succeeding.
Wow calm down, i practice many many hours a day by the way :roll: I just wanted to know how you guys did it. And if you treat people like that all the time, then how did you get a gig? What happened to the world. :wink:

Seacow(dont ask)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

seacow wrote:
paddy wrote:

Wow calm down, I practice many many hours a day by the way :roll: I just wanted to know how you guys did it. And if you treat people like that all the time, then how did you get a gig? What happened to the world. :wink:

Seacow(dont ask)

Excuse me Paddy, but I will attempt to answer the question for you.

He got the job because he wasn't lazy. He knows business. And by practicing, Seacow or whatever you name is, do you mean practicing as in playing with a deck of cards all day, because that isn't practicing. Obviously you aren't mature enough to get a job and you don't know enough about working in restaurants. Spend a few years working on it and if you still have some questions, find a professional restaurant magician who makes their living on it and ask them your questions.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:59 am 

seacow wrote
Quote:
Wow calm down, I practice many many hours a day by the way I just wanted to know how you guys did it...What happened to the world.

Notice I said you took the lazy person's way and FAIL TO DO RESEARCH. Fine you practice. You may even rehearse now and then. (There is a difference.) But do you look at books such as Jim Pace's of Peter Lansing's? Do you go to the library or check out magic web sites for information? Do you attend I.B.M. or SAM meetings and talk to working magi?

All that is part of getting off your dead butt and learning.

As you asked; "what happened to the world?" People have gotten too lazy to work for a living and expect "entitlements" to come their way. Just like not taking time to run the post through the spell check that is on the Google tool bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:38 pm 
Penguin

First off, dont make random assumptions that im lazy. YOU DON'T KNOW ME. I did research, went to different restuarants. And asked many magicians in our area. But every restaurant is different. Chances are, where you live, everything isnt the same as where i live. Also if you read, i wanted to know how "you" went about it. And techniccaly, this is research itself. By that i mean asking you how do did it. Do dont say i dont research. And whoever told me to get off my dead butt, you sitting on yours too! Dont be hypocritical.

Seacow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:45 am 
Penguin

Paddy,

No offense, but you seem to be a little rough on the beginners. I know a little constructive critisism is a good thing every now and then, but you seem to have taken it past "constructive critisism." Although I agree with many of your opinions, I think that you should encourage beginners as opposed to scolding them. Again, no offense.

Best,
jeffreymason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:47 am 

You'll get use to Paddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:36 am 
Penguin

I agree alot with Paddy and have always felt that he's the side of us all that wants to tell everyone what we really think. Sometimes I feel he gets a bit crazy and is a little bit overboared.

However this particular post I feel has been covered numerous times in this and other forums and is a matter of the poster not searching.

Last edited by space_ghost15 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:52 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
seacow wrote:
1) First off, dont make random assumptions that im lazy. YOU DON'T KNOW ME. I did research, went to different restuarants. And asked many magicians in our area.

2) But every restaurant is different. Chances are, where you live, everything isnt the same as where I live. Also if you read, I wanted to know how "you" went about it.

3) And techniccaly, this is research itself. By that I mean asking you how do did it. Do dont say I dont research.

And whoever told me to get off my dead butt, you sitting on yours too!
4) Dont be hypocritical.

5) Seacow

1. It's not random. He is very constant in his remarks. If you weren't lazy and had done a search, you would have realized this.

2. You're right. This is why I don't understand what you expected to get as an answer. According to what you said, every restaurant is different and chances are that any answer here wouldn't apply to you. Of course, I disagree. I also think that there is a lot of info already written here and that you are lazy. Of course, this is just my opinion, only based on assumptions by the way you have responded.

3. Technically, this is research. Technically, it is lazy research. Technically, it is inappropriate research because, according to your own words, all areas are different and you have already asked magicians from your area. Furthermore, there are better forums to elicite responses. Penguin is not necessarily known for its mature participants.

4. Why is this hypocritical? He never said that he wanted to go out and have a job working in a restaurant.

5. Work on your grammar and spelling. If you talk like you write, you definately won't get a job, nor will you get good advice.

6. Get a card wallet.
It's only 99 cents.
90 cents with the 10% discount.

7. Just show your card wallet to any restaurant manager and then he will recognize immediately that you are a professional magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="SmokingMonkey"][quote="seacow"]1)

6. Get a card wallet.
It's only 99 cents.
90 cents with the 10% discount.

Please Give me a link to this card wallet I can't find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:43 pm 
Penguin

Ok, I think that seacow asked a valid question.
I just spent 45 min using the search button looking for direction on BOOKING, GETTING BOOKED, TIPS ON GETTING BOOKED, HOW TO GET BOOKED, SELLING MY MAGIC, and some others. The search results brought NOTHING as far as the question he asked.
Practicing and learning more effects will not make the sale. You can practice and learn to perfection a million effects but without the proper know how in salesmanship or direction to go about HOW TO APPROACH the customer, you have only learned how to do the effects.
Some people have a natural understanding of how to sell themselves, others do not have that gift.

seacow, if you are prepared with your magic as far as being practiced and rehearsed and the only thing holding you back is the how to approach and get booked, I suggest some non magic books. Look for anything by Zig Ziglar. Any of his books on salesmanship can be a benifit. There are other success books on selling out there, just do some research on increasing sales. You will not find anything like that here on a magic forum.