View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My age...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:20 pm 
Penguin

I have been doing magic for four years (actually 7 but I don’t count all those pick a card, cut and restored rope gimmicked years as "magic"). After the first year of "real magic" I got interested in children’s parties, but you see, I'm only 13, so I was a child performing for children’s parties. I always posted a flyer saying grades k-whatever grade was 1 step below me at the time. But the point is, I went against all of your advice when you were saying "wait another 5 years" and "your way to young, kid, go practice". Well, I was a very successful magician and did many children’s party with grate reviews. Like I said, I am now 13, and I want to do restaurant magic, and yes, I have done so many charity events because of your advice I can't even count, and I am thankful for that... but I haven’t aged. Any input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

To me, it seems that even if you are a kid superstar, you should always wait until 15/16. I think it is down to the mental side of working in a restaurant, and the maturity that you cannot get from being 12 or 13...

Just My Opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:09 pm 
Penguin

thanks for your input, I probably will wait a couple more years, or work at a restaurant mabe for free, just for some experiense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

ermer wrote:
thanks for your input, I probably will wait a couple more years, or work at a restaurant mabe for free, just for some experiense

Theres a big chance they wont let you even do that. But it cant hurt to try, the worst the can say is no. But make sure your ready if they let you, dont make them regret allowing you to perform your magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:50 pm 
Penguin

thanks, I'll do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:16 am 
born to perform.

If you are 13 you can't even legally work in the US (you need to be 14). For your own sake, wait a few years. Be at LEAST 16 when you get into restaurants. You can be the best sleight of hand artist in the world at age 13, but it doesn't mean anything because your maturity level is that...a 13 year old. You need to gain more experience in the real world and interact with real people for a few more years before going out to restaurants. Keep doing charity shows and kids parties...but stay away from restaurants for now. Trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 pm 
Penguin

ok, but just to let you know, when around my friends, I'm an average teenage slightly imature person, but I take magic verry seriously, and I hate gimmiks, sleight of hand all the way! :D

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:50 pm 
born to perform.

ermer wrote:
ok, but just to let you know, when around my friends, I'm an average teenage slightly imature person, but I take magic verry seriously, and I hate gimmiks, sleight of hand all the way! :D

What tricks did you use in ALL your kid shows?
How many kid shows did you do?
What material did you study pertaining to kid shows? (Books)
I'm just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm 
Penguin

Im 17 and I am just getting into restaurant. Being 13 Don't know if you will pull it off. I am Almost 18 and Still hope i was a little older. You need to be able handle people that are Drunk also Women that are breastfeeding their Children. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:55 pm 
Penguin

lol, ok, thats good advice, and to sluggo, um, about 23 (not verry many) shows, but my material is different each time (better each time, cause of the money i get (i dont keep any, it goes all to magic))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:08 pm 
Penguin

I think age can and can't be an issue. Some people may patronize you for being young, and that may make you feel like your not a good magician (not necessarily ofcourse) But then again, in Holland there are 3 superstar magicians who started doing major stage shows and even appeared on worlds greatest magic, and they started when they were 15 (the legal age to get a job in Holland) If i was you, i'd work on a killer routine until your old enough to get a job legally. And don't worry, i know what i'm talking about. I'm curently doing the same thing :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

ermer wrote:

In order to be a great magician you must not have that attitude of "sleight of hand only." Some of the best effects are acheived through gimmicks and if you really want to be remembered in the spectator's minds, then you must use them.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:53 pm 
born to perform.

ermer wrote:
lol, ok, thats good advice, and to sluggo, um, about 23 (not verry many) shows, but my material is different each time (better each time, cause of the money I get (I dont keep any, it goes all to magic))

If you do want to get better at kid shows if that is something that you are looking into I would highly suggest spending some cash on learning material I.E. books/dvd's specifically on kid shows. It's not a waste of money but money well spent.
You will pick up valuable ideas that you can use to better your shows. It's not the magic that makes a kid show anyway, It's the other stuff that you do that really makes the show. I wonder if you use only sleight of hand for kid shows?
If you are wanting to grow (kid shows) I'd highly suggest getting into gimmick type effects too. If you buy books about it you will pick up the ideas needed to make a successful kid show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:34 am 
Penguin

i use lots of gimicks for kids shows 'cause its not as easy for them to inspect them. i only use sleight all the way in restaurants because people are verry touchy feely if its infront of them and avalable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:29 am 
Penguin

ermer wrote:
I use lots of gimicks for kids shows 'cause its not as easy for them to inspect them. I only use sleight all the way in restaurants because people are verry touchy feely if its infront of them and avalable
Actually I Disagree, If They are very grabby You must be doing something something wrong. If You present it like its not a gimmick Why would I need to inspect it? Just my .02.