View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restaurant Name Query
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:17 am 
born to perform.

Hello, there.
Man it's been a while since I've been on these forums. But I'm getting back into magic slowly but surely.
I actually had a small job as a Restaurant Magician about a year ago at a small mexican restaurant named "El Patio".

Now what this thread is for is to name some of the successes and failures of restaurants to allow for magicians to perform. I think this will narrow some searches for where to perform. However, it may be that different cities are hiring differently, but I think there is a national trend. (I could Be Wrong). Welp, just copy and paste and add your own experiences.

Large Chains
Outback - Never Called Me Back
Applebees - Never Called Me Back
TGIFriday's- Heard of People Getting Jobs Here
Buffalo Wild Wings - Heard of People Getting Jobs Here
Ryan's (Buffet)- Saw A Restaurant Magician Here

Small Chains
El Patio - Where I worked, but Hesitant to Hire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 am 

You are right about different cities having different practices re: entertaining. Also different General managers in the same chain will be different. I was told by one manager that pay was limited to $50 plus tips. At the same chain in a different location the manager told me that corporate would not allow entertainers.

So all you are going to do is post what each manager thinks the corporate rules are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:12 pm 
born to perform.

First of all, don't try to land a restaurant gig over the phone. That will never happen.

At least one Outback in my area has a magician.
Applebees gave me the run-around after I had formally interviewed with the manager and GM. Everything was in the bag until those managers were either transferred or they went to another job. That experience sucked.
T.G.I. Fridays - Well it took a year after I approached them, but I've been doing a weekly gig there for about a year now. They seem to be pleased.
Ryans - Before closeing, the one around here had a magician or clown entertainer at some point. I don't believe it was steady though.
Guadalajara Tropical Cafe - I previously performed this restaurant for a few months.

The large chains are really hard to get into. There's so much "Red Tape" to get past. You just need to stay persistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:26 am 

Here in the U.S. the chains will most likely require that you give them a soc. sec. number so they can file a 1099 on you. This is a form that they send to the I.R.S., and a copy to you, telling them how much they gave you for the year. The 1099 also lets the I.R.S. know that taxes have not been withheld and that you OWE the taxes on that amount of money.

This will just be for the restaurant fees that they paid you and not include any tips you made. Remember, the I.R.S. get really upset if you don't file your tax forms or if you don't pay the taxes owed. BTW being under age is no excuse to them, they will just take it from your parents plus interest and penalties on all monies owed.

Family restaurants will probably pay you out of petty cash and not ask for tax I.D. numbers