View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restaurant QUestion
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

DO i ask the restaurant if I can perfor tablehopping or do they ask me if I will?
Please reply.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:44 pm 
born to perform.

will someone answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

what exactly do you mean by this? do you mean for the initial hiring. or for what they want you to do once they've hired you? In the first case, you're going to have to apply at resaurants. they're not just going to happen to see you perform one day and ask if you are interested in doing magic at they're restaurant (most of the time). In the second case, yes you'll generally be table hopping in a restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:59 pm 
born to perform.

so i apply to work at there restaurant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:30 pm 
Penguin

Flight read this

YOUR NOT READY FOR RESTURANT WORK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

First, how old are you? If you are old enough to work, then apply at the resturaunt. I would suggest bringing with some magic supplies so you can do a mini show for the manager. You could also ask if you could just do walk around, and then after the night is over, just set up a table where you will give autographs and set out a jar for tips or donations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:28 am 

Flight, you have ONE good reply to your question. That is from bhbowhunter. You aren't ready. The others who responded have never done restaurant work in their lives.

1. You don't "apply" for a "job" as a restaurant entertainer. You audition for it.

2. You don't have a table where you sign autographs and collect tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:29 am 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
:lol: a table to sign autographs...

The most common thing to do is just simply hand out your buisness card... If you have one of course.

People accepting your buisness card should be just as good as getting a tip :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:28 am 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
First, how old are you? If you are old enough to work, then apply at the resturaunt. I would suggest bringing with some magic supplies so you can do a mini show for the manager. You could also ask if you could just do walk around, and then after the night is over, just set up a table where you will give autographs and set out a jar for tips or donations.

wow, most useless load of BS iv seen here for a while.

You dont do a mini show for the manager. You offer a free trial night. You dont have an autograph table, if people want to give you tips they will do it when you leave their table. NO ONE wants you autograph, you are not famous.

Also if you set up a table at the end of the night, most people you shoed magic to will be gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

First, a mini show and audition are the same thing.

Second, if he's too young to actually be hired by the resturaunt, it is an alternative to set up a table where he can sign autographs (say on a playing card that he handed out before) and recieve tips. This way it's not soliciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:53 pm 
born to perform.

ok you really dont understand, a mini show or audition is not what you want. The manager doesnt want to be impressed, he wants the customers to be entertained. By providing a TRIAL NIGHT you show what a real night will be like.

Also if your too young, you shouldnt be doing magic there anyway. And you still cant set up a table at the end, its pathetic and useless.

Do some restaurant work before you give out this BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:36 pm 
Emperor Penguin

First, he asked a question that I tried to help answer. If you don't like what I said, then simply don't read it.

Second, impressing the manager first will give you a chance to have them take you serious in the first place. Sure, offering a free trial night is great, and could help, but if the manager thinks you are nothing but a hack, they aren't going to hire you anyway. Plus, if you suck at magic, why would the manager want to take a chance of you being nothing but a bother to the customers?

Third, if he's still young, going out and working at a resturaunt will give great expeirence. And working for tips would be great as he gets a little money, and the expeirence. The table idea doesn't necessary have to happen at the end of the day either. If he does an hour gig, then he can just set up a table and get some tips. The autograph thing is just to make sure that no laws are broken.

Fourth, I'm talking from expierence. What I stated is what I have done in the past after getting advice from other magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

plus, he would then ruin the chance for other PRO magicians to get a job there. Also, dont beleive everything you are told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I said I know this from expierence. Meaning that I have first hand knowledge that this works. Yes, I did get advice from other magicians who had done the same thing, but I also have done this.

If he feels he's good enough to perform at a resturaunt, then there's no reason to doubt him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:04 pm 
born to perform.

yes there is too many people get over confident.