View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Performing at a Car Dealership...any suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:09 am 
Penguin

Hi! I just wanted some advice from the Penguin community. I have a gig at a car dealership next weekend. I'm supposed to be doing walk-around type stuff. My main goal is to entertain the kids because it's "family fun" day or something like that. But I also want to make sure I do something for the adults. Any ideas? Usually my kids shows are sit-down, with my magic box/table...don't usually do walk-around for kids. I can certainly modify the presentation of some of the kids stuff, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that perhaps I didn't think of. I'm looking for easy, fun things to do with the kids that might involve the cars or something like that. Also, I really want some strong stuff to impress the adults, also involving the autos if possible...like maybe changing a price on the sticker inside the window, some "mentalism" like Criss Angel's "Viper key find" trick...something like that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

BTW, I definitely plan on doing the STS...

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:31 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ht=#859604

Please only make a topic ONCE :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:36 am 
Penguin

Cigam_Eno wrote:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?p=859604&highlight=#859604

Please only make a topic ONCE :twisted:

Sorry to piss you off...just thought I would get different perspectives from different forum crowds...not everyone in this forum reads the children's forum, do they?

Judging by this and my other thread in the children's shows forum, none of you are real nice at all. It's a shame to see people jumping on a poster when all they want is a little advice. There's no need for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

then why didnt you post this in "general magic" that usually gets a general crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:44 pm 
Penguin

the reason why people aren’t "nice" on this forum is the fact that the majority of the people posting are children looking for short cuts. This really strikes a nerve with some of the pros here that have dedicated years of there life to the craft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

What you could do is do some tricks with hot wheel cars( of cousre this would before the kids). Of course you would have to make sure the hot wheels wern't a real car( as in real model of a car) or they are a car of the dealership your working for. say you are doing the show for ford. You would have a mustang hot wheeS car. Now for tricks with you could do them a pretty slim but does have that car theme. Here is an effect you can perform: Requirments a Deck of cards and one hot wheel car and maybe some IT ( the It depends if your doing your show inside or outside).
Effect : Shuffle up the cards and have a spectator pick one have them return it and shuffle it up some more. Have a couple other spectators pick out 6 or so cards. Lay those cards out in a row. The magician states the car is a magical card and that it can find your card he then sets the car on the row of cards (here is where the it comes in or doesn't). Ending 1 you have the car magicly move by its self and stop on one card( their card) you then show it to be their card. Ending 2 you push the car and when you pass over their card you say it keeps wanting to stop heer and stuff like that. THen you eventually stop it their and show it was their card. By they don't know their card is in the row they just pick random cards. Or if you want you can take out card 10 cards and have them pick from that and return it in that packet its up to you. If you have any questions on how it is done pm me.

Effeect # 2. You can hav efive or more different color hot wheel cars you tell them to think of one of the color you make a prediction on a piece of paper. YOu thin reveal tha twhat they were thinking and what you wrote were exactly the same. or you don't even have to have any hot wheels for that you can tell them to think of any colr car in the lot. THis effect can be accomplished with a super sharpe.

I am reall tired of typing and as you can see i don't feel like writing proper punctuation. I have many more car based ideas so if you want any more you will have to pm.
I am also sorry if this is really confusing it is because i am really tired of typing.

Thanks

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:23 pm 
Penguin

I'm not sure of any tricks that world involve a car, but for the adults and older kids you could do something with someones ring like vanishing it and making it appear in a lippincot box. You could also do some mouth coils, mini coloring book, and other things like that for the younger ones. Good luck. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

Get Sankey's 3 ring circus, you can do it with "examined" key rings so to speak. You could vanish yourself, and you could appear in a sports car and then drive off and steal it. Or you could show kids how easy it is to key a car, that'll be fun. Seriously though, if you don't know what to perform then a week won't be long enough to practice, unless you know a bunch of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:18 am 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
Here are some of my favorite walk-around type effects:

-Two Card Monte

-Transpo's

-Ambitious Card...

-Three Fly's

-Earplugs/Sponge Balls

-Slow Burn By Richard Sanders

-HotRod

-Magic Stoplight Cards

-Scotch & Soda

-Lethal Tender (using their hands)

-TT Effects...

-Coin Bites

-Thought Transmitter by John Cornellius

Their are a lot of great ones. Search in the stores and you'll be bound to find something...

Cheers,
-magicman135

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:58 am 

Yes I flamed you in the kid's forum. From your post you present yourself as a kid who has some gimmicks and thinks you are a magician. Perhaps you should reword your whole question to establish what you are really looking for.

A magic show is a magic show and as a performer you should realize that. You don't need different effects for a car dealership than for a restaurant gig. Just do walk around magic. The difference is in tha approach to people. You use the same type of approach as you would working a trade or consumer show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
paddy wrote:
Yes I flamed you in the kid's forum. From your post you present yourself as a kid who has some gimmicks and thinks you are a magician. Perhaps you should reword your whole question to establish what you are really looking for.

A magic show is a magic show and as a performer you should realize that. You don't need different effects for a car dealership than for a restaurant gig. Just do walk around magic. The difference is in tha approach to people. You use the same type of approach as you would working a trade or consumer show.

That is a good set of advice. You can do, (For Example), a simple eye exam for a picnic walk-around show, and you can also do it for a car dealership. Unless all your effects are Stage effects, which i somewhat doubt, then you should think to invest in new effects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:46 pm 
Penguin

lmao "Criss Angel's Viper key find trick" isnt something you can learn within a weekend, takes years to be able to do something on a scale as large as that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:02 pm 

oasis604 wrote:
lmao "Criss Angel's Viper key find trick" isnt something you can learn within a weekend, takes years to be able to do something on a scale as large as that

Whether the trick is easy to learn or not there is something a lot more important about using something like that. People have seen Angel and Blaine on TV, if you do those tricks at a show, particularly a consumer show such as a car dealer promotion, YOU look like a kid that's an Angel (or Blaine) imitator.

You come across as being a thief of their ideas, too poor a magician to have your own show so you "borrow" one from TV. Hey you may be (and in the case of Blaine definitely are) a better magician than the TV magician, but it LOOKS like you're just another wannabe.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:46 pm 

Just some thoughts, maybe they were mentioned above already and I didn't notice:

1. Card through windshield;

2. Predictions / mentalism effects, where the answer / prediction is revealed to be written on a windshield (written with those markers they use to write on windshields).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:36 pm 
Penguin

Effects for a Car Dealership could include:
-Kornwinder Car,
-Two in the hand, one in the pocket using little miniature cars,
-my own routine "cash prize" could be taylored to the cars that are sold by that dealership,
-add a number (totals the actual retail price of a certain car picked out by an audience member)
-ambitious card (despite getting lost with so many choices to make, the customer always winds up at the TOP dealership every time)
-Dunninger's Delight (card appearing in a particular automobile)

Those are just a few off the top of my head.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat