View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boring People
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:07 pm 
Penguin

So I'm tryin to start off my routine "hey, how are you all doing tonight? My name is Ari, I'm the magician here, and I've been asked to walk around and show everyone a few quick tricks, how does that sound?"

Tonight I had a table that just didn't respond. Like they couldn't make up their minds or something. HOW DO YOU HANDLE THESE PEOPLE? it's so difficult! I open with enthusiasm and they are just incredibly indifferent. I will usually say something like.." well here we'll try this..." or.."it's totally up to you, i get paid either way" But it's so difficult. Anyone have any advice? Thanks a lot.

-Ari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:05 pm 
born to perform.

When people aren't sure if they want to see magic, I generally offer to show 1 effect and they can then see more if they want or I can not, it's up to them. It's hard for me to understand exactly what the problem is because all you really said was "Tonight I had a table that just didn't respond." that could mean a number of things, you might want to get into more detail about how they reacted. It could have meant that they didn't know how to respond because they've never had a stranger come up to them and ask them to see magic during dinner. I know if a stranger walked up to me and asked if they could entertain me, I'd hesitate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I would say, just show them an effect. If they don't like, you will soon find out. And if they do, well you get to make them happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:18 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
I would have to agree. Remember, the reason these patrons came to the restaurant was to eat, and it is your job to entertain them while waiting for their food. Chances are, they didn't choose the establishment just to come see you.

If they didn't want to see your bit, don't sweat it, it's nothing personal. Perhaps they don't like magic; maybe they had a bad experience before you, or maybe they guy is getting ready to propose.....who knows.

Bottom line, you did what you were supposed to, you politely asked if you could entertain them, they weren't sure......move on. For every one that doesn't want to see you, there are ten more that do. Don't waste your time. Move on.

Be cool. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:17 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
The title of this thread is very revealing: BORING PEOPLE.

why are they boring? Because they couldn't quickly think of a polite way to say that they didn't want to be bothered watching mediocre magic? Because they were too polite to say that the show wasn't very entertaining? Or because they just didn't understand that you might possibly do something more that the 3-rows-of-7-cards trick. Basically, perhaps they thought you sucked and just didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Of course, there are other reasons. Perhaps they weren't in the mood for entertainment; they just wanted to eat. Then again, perhaps they thought "why is this kid bothering us. he'll probably ask us for money afterwards. didn't his parents teach him any manners?".

I have no idea what they were thinking; neither do you. However, to assume that the people are BORING PEOPLE tells me a lot about your attitude. And it was perhaps this attitude that turned them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:31 am 
Penguin

hold on there smokingmonkey. I only titled this boring people because they had no response. It was my first thought for the title of this thread.
You said "However, to assume that the people are BORING PEOPLE tells me a lot about your attitude. "....I don't really know what that means...I mean seriously, they were boring. They just didn't respond. The more I think about it, the more I realize I should have just politely left..but still, it reveals a lot about my attitude?...how can you assume this and what does that even mean?

Anyways.... To answer magicdude84, after i finnished introducing myself. all four at the table just stared at me and didn't respond. Not any evil glares, just kinda stared. This was the worst table I have ever had. Again, now that I think about it I probably should have just said "ya know what, it's ok, I'll let you guys be"....or something. BUT I have had tables that first react like they did and THEN get reeeally into it later. It's so difficult. I wish I could explain more like you asked, but thats' what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:58 am 
born to perform.

"hey, how are you all doing tonight? My name is Ari, I'm the magician here, and I've been asked to walk around and show everyone a few quick tricks, how does that sound?"

I think the last bit of that introduction is the problem, "How does that sound?" How does what sound? To a lay person, all you did is mention you're a magician and ask how it sounds to them. Try saying something like, "would you like to see some magic?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:17 pm 
Penguin

i actually alternate, and i dont always say that opening line i vary a lot. But, when I say would u like to see some magic, some people get creeped out cause it's like [edited] does that mean. BUT maybe i should be more direct good point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:22 pm 
born to perform.

please dont perform if everyone at the table does not want it.

Think, they could have come back from a funeral or be in an important business meeting, you dont want to perform if they dont want it in these situations. You may perform an "attention grabber" but not a trick, and this is before you approach the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

if the majority of the people at the table want to see your performance, do a short version, and that way if the others still dont want to see it you can move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 am 
born to perform.

a2r5r8

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about "boring people". You're going to find that some people do not react that way you'd like...even if they are entertained by what you're doing. Eventually you will be able to distinguish between the two. Some people just can't be entertained. I rarely experience a table that I am unable to open up and raise their spirits. But as I said, there are some people that just can't be entertained. When you get one of these, just be your normal self and simply wrap up with 2 or 3 effects and move on. As someone else said, there are other tables that will be more open.

Good luck.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:27 am 
born to perform.

Don't take it personally if someone doesn't respond the way that most people do. Like Ben said there could be some underlying reason's that he mentioned.
Or the fact that some people just don't want to be approached by some stranger while they are trying to socialize. There are a lot of people that just doesn't care about magic. There are a variety of reasons why people may not want to be bothered, just go onto somebody that does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:41 am 
Penguin

a2r5r8 wrote:
You said "However, to assume that the people are BORING PEOPLE tells me a lot about your attitude. "....I don't really know what that means...I mean seriously, they were boring. They just didn't respond. The more I think about it, the more I realize I should have just politely left..but still, it reveals a lot about my attitude?...how can you assume this and what does that even mean?

It's been said by many people that what we say about other people reflects more upon ourselves, than those we are judging.

You probably just caught them off guard. Show them something quick and see if it helps to break the ice. It may take a few seconds to gain some rapport, but it is well worth it. They may not want to see something, that's another possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:29 pm 
Penguin

a2r5r8 Your OK. You have no idea what happened at the table befor you got there. I have learned not to even ask. I walk up and have something happen.
Example: Finger flasher (but not enough to create panic), wipe my brow and say " Hot flash... sorry."
That says I'm the house magician with out having to tell them verbaly. People love it!
Jay Sanky has an exellent DVD on this that will help beginers and the old pros. I recently started a new opener I learned of the DVD that works great.
Good luck, and keep making people smile. :D

Post subject: Re: Boring People
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:48 am 
Penguin

Introducing yourself is likely very boring to them as well. In my opinion, I think you should immediately perform a 5-second "WOW" effect, then introduce yourself. For example, pull a rose out of the air and hand it to one of the ladies. Then say who you are and ask them if they'd like to see more. If you get no response or indifferent response, move on politely.