View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Franchises/Advice
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:46 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys,

I was curious as I am researching restaurants in my area and was wondering if franchised restaurants such as Friday's would be things to stay away from because they aren't independently owned and operated or have some of you had success in such an area of the business. I figure targeting places with kid's nights may be one of the better places to start and many franchises have such a night. I have been performing magic for 4 years and have a variety of material, I am 17 and have performed at 2 children's birthday parties in the past so I do think I have the work experience, I also work part-time at a grocery store. If anyone has some tips or tricks of the trade I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Alex Schaeffer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:25 pm 
born to perform.

erm franchises have to do certain things but are individually operated. And yes they do take magicians. As long as the budget approves. Some franchises may have to clear this with the franchiser but most will be down to the franchise owner.

Fridays do take magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:30 pm 
born to perform.

please also note kids shows dont count as experience in this area of work. please read some books on restaurant work first, eg jim paces book. also talk to paddy on these forums if possible.

Post subject: Re: Franchises/Advice
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:06 pm 

roboboy wrote:
... I am 17 and have performed at 2 children's birthday parties in the past so I do think I have the work experience, I also work part-time at a grocery store. If anyone has some tips or tricks of the trade I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Alex Schaeffer

Ales, you have a different idea of experienced than anyone else. TWO kids parties have NO connectiuon to restaurant work in any way shape or form. Restaurant work requires immpecable misdirection skills, the grace and finess of a diplomat and the ability to entertain kids, adults, staff and anyone else without offending anyone.

Just an example of some situations you WILL run into, and at 17 I know that you will blow it when it happens.

I walked up to a table taht had mom, dad, 2 kids and a baby. I say "Hi I'm Paddy..." and mom unbuttons her blouse, pulls a breast out in front of me, God, and everyone else and starts to feed the baby. No she does not cover herself as some women do just feeds the kid right there. What do you do?

Another time as I approached a table I heard the couple talking about who gets which car and how often he can visit the kids. They were discussing their divorce. What do you do?

A guy comes up while you are at a table entertaining 3 kids and says "are you going to come over to my F***king table and do this sh*t for my girlfriend? She wants you NOW!" What do you do?

I ahve had every one of those happen, the nursing mom happens at least once a month. Actually more often than that but most women cover themselves with a towel or something so their boob is not hanging out in space. The last two are very rare, but they happen. Two kid's parties is not experience for the real world. Leave that to entertainers.

Paddy

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:23 pm 
born to perform.

Two whole kid parties, yes you are right. You now have the vast experience needed to take on the world.

Post subject: Re: Franchises/Advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:48 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I walked up to a table taht had mom, dad, 2 kids and a baby. I say "Hi I'm Paddy..." and mom unbuttons her blouse, pulls a breast out in front of me, God, and everyone else and starts to feed the baby. No she does not cover herself as some women do just feeds the kid right there. What do you do?

Another time as I approached a table I heard the couple talking about who gets which car and how often he can visit the kids. They were discussing their divorce. What do you do?

A guy comes up while you are at a table entertaining 3 kids and says "are you going to come over to my F***king table and do this sh*t for my girlfriend? She wants you NOW!" What do you do?

Hmmm, some tough situations. I don't have any table hopping experience, but I'll go ahead and stick my neck out on the boards here and take a stab at them.

For the table with the breast feeding mother, I would assume the rest of the family is probably used to this and doesn't see anything unusual or scandalous about it. Probably the thing to do would be to concentrate on entertaining the rest of the family while mommy takes care of feeding her kid. Don't come off as shunning her, and certainly acknowledge her if she makes a comment about the performance, but don't make any comment about what she's doing. If you don't act bothered, flustered or uncomfortable, and just do your normal show, everyone will have a good time, and hopefully the adults will appreciate your discretion and your effort to entertain the kids.

The table with the divorcees is pretty awkward. My instinct would be to say, "My apologies, it looks like I've interrupted an important conversation. My name is Mike, I'm the house magician, I'll let you get back to your conversation, but if you would like to see some magic later, let your waitress know and I'll be happy to show you a few things." But even that might seem a little invasive. I know many magicians say you should never ask if someone wants to see magic, but this might be a time to use that exact opener. Let them turn down your offer, say "All right, well thanks for coming to [restaurant], please enjoy your meal."

As for the guy who starts swearing in front of a table of kids . . . this is tough. I would probably tell the guy that I will be over to his table just as soon as I'm done with the current one. Once he leaves, I would apologize to the family for the disturbance and reassure them that I will let the manager know about it. I would do one more routine, something really fun and do my damndest to get the kids laughing so I can end on a high note. I'd then go over to the other guy's table, do a short set for them (preferably nothing that would give the guy too much a chance to heckle) then excuse myself and tell the manager about the incident. It's their restaurant, and thereby up to them how they want to handle the situation.

Okay, I think those are my final answers. Again, I don't have any table hopping experience, so don't take these as professional opinions in any way. I would be interested to know what the real professionals on the board think about these responses. I could be way off the mark, and if so, please tell me. It's the only way I'll learn---well, the only way without burning a venue for other entertainers.

Thanks,
~Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:30 pm 
Penguin

dude i think he was just sayin it kinda like....not in search of a response. But w/e, good to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:15 pm 
Penguin

Ok guys I understand I don't have restaurant experience, but I really cant get that without getting a walkaround job, CAN I ? I've heard of the books you speak of and personally I feel there is no substitution for real world experience. And Sluggo your comment wasn't needed, I never said I could take on the world or anything of that nature, but I can't be expected to have the experience, I'm not born with it. I was saying I have general work experience , I hold a part-time job and also an internship at a film company 3 days a week. I work with people regularly, and Paddy I don't think giving me events oddly presented to yourself will be helpful to me. You gotta roll with what you get, if a lady pulls out her boob, whatever, that's life. Saying I don't have the right stuff and putting me down won't help me at all. I asked for advice, not bantering :( I'd love constructive critiscm , not destructive :!:
For anyone who was trying to help I'm sorry and thank you for your time.

-Alex Schaeffer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:35 pm 
Penguin

roboboy wrote:
Ok guys I understand I don't have restaurant experience, but I really cant get that without getting a walkaround job, CAN I ? I
Yes you can? By doing walkaround without a job?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:01 am 

what I wrote was not destructive criticism, it was real world experiences. These experiences were not " events oddly presented to yourself" (as you put it.) They are things that happen every day and as an entertainer you will be part of these "event."

Everybody who learns the scotch & soda and the hot rod thinks they can make crap loads of money as a restaurant magician. "Tain't so!" You have to learn how to entertain and how to handle yourself in every situation, from kids puking up on you to having a fire alarm go off during your effect. This is the REAL WORLD, not the place of easy money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:28 am 

paddy wrote:
what I wrote was not destructive criticism, it was real world experiences. These experiences were not " events oddly presented to yourself" (as you put it.) They are things that happen every day and as an entertainer you will be part of these "event."

Everybody who learns the scotch & soda and the hot rod thinks they can make crap loads of money as a restaurant magician. "Tain't so!" You have to learn how to entertain and how to handle yourself in every situation, from kids puking up on you to having a fire alarm go off during your effect. This is the REAL WORLD, not the place of easy money.

i do agree...

it is NOT easy money and you do have to know how to conduct yourself as a performer and a profesional. these situations do arise (i have run into them in fact) and you really have to watch yourself during them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:43 pm 
born to perform.

paddy, please tell me you dont get that woman everyday. I think shes trying to tell you something. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:47 pm 
Penguin

paddy im just curious as to how you reacted in each of the situations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:50 pm 
Penguin

After looking over this post months later I must say I never stated I believed this way easy money, if I want to market myself with a unique skill for money so be it. You guys are making it sound like without experience I can't get this type of job, I believe I can performing for ordinary people in everyday situations is how you get this experience, I perform at least 4 times a week at school for random people all with different personalities, taste, and idiosincracies. All different and I deal with them differently, I can read people, when this boob popping, puking, swaring baby comes after me or whatever may happen, I'll deal with it. Life isn't planned out, you can't anticipate that kind of stuff, you just gotta roll with it. Stuff happens, just blow it off perform your magic, entertain, astonish, or mystify most likely a mixture of those listed. But to try to discourage me from pursuing this type of work is absurd, of course I know stuff will happen, of course I don't have that much experience, that's because I am 17 but without taking the risk of putting my foot in the door, deck in hand I'm not going anywhere. I actually discussed all of this with a prominent local area magician and he told me just know your stuff, the only way to learn restaurant crowd control is from experience, a book or dvd can only teach you so much. I agree with him and I intend to follow some of Tyas' podcasts and begin searching for a restaurant job. Thanks for the long discussion about events that were discouraging me :wink: Now let's get back to the magic :D

-Alex Schaeffer