View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Restaurant Experience!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:50 pm 
Penguin

Last Night- after a month of talking back and forth with the manager- i finally performed at Bertuccis. this was not my first time doing restaurant, but it was the first time i had gotten myself the gig. This was my free night, and it went extremely well! I got over $35 in tips!! My routines went well, everyone was receptive. It was SO MUCH fun, i love it. I really hope they ask me back cause it would be like a dream come true to have my own restaurant. Just thought I'd share with you.......one thing i've learned is you must be persistant. If they don't call you back like they say they will, YOU must make the call! I really hope it becomes a weekly thing (obviously i'll get paid don't worry)

Good luck to all!

-Ari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:34 pm 
Penguin

When trying out, if someone offers a tip: "It is complements of the house, the best tip you can give me is to let the manager know how much you enjoyed it." or "I'm actually trying out, so instead of a tip, could you let the manager know how much fun you guys had?"

Gideon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:33 pm 
Penguin

hah that second one is almost exactly word for word what i said. yeah...i refused lots of the tips in replacement for that. Also a lot of the tips i received were while i was performing for another group, so obviously i couldn't stop my routine and explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:26 pm 
born to perform.

What tricks did you do at the restaurant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:36 pm 
born to perform.

his tricks dont matter at all. Thats not how you get or keep the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:29 pm 
born to perform.

congrats man...nice to see that there are good spectators out there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
jmingo1 wrote:
congrats man...nice to see that there are good spectators out there

I don't understand what you mean.

Are you always getting heckled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:36 am 
born to perform.

the majority of spectators are good unless you have no personality or social skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:01 pm 
Penguin

benlewis2004 wrote:
the majority of spectators are good unless you have no personality or social skills.

yeah...probably the most valuable thing i've learned is just that. The kinder and more polite you are the more everyone enjoys the peformance and the more of a "fun" atmosphere it is. One person who really influenced my "kind" personality is kostya kimlat, if you don't know who he is look him up at kmagic.com

Also, the manager says it depends on his budget for the upcomming few months...he said for me to call back in about 4 days to find out. I really hope this pulls through. Has this ever happened to anyone? what was the result?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:39 am 

a2r5r8 writes:
Quote:
Also, the manager says it depends on his budget for the upcomming few months...he said for me to call back in about 4 days to find out. I really hope this pulls through. Has this ever happened to anyone? what was the result?

No. When I go into a restaurant I tell the general manager or owner the benefits of haveing me as an entertainer. In short, what I can do for them. Then offer a one night audition. But I always tell him my price before offering the audition. If he hesitates or says he has to check his budget I will then audition after he has approval for the money.

I am not going to waste my time auditioning for a place that can't afford me. Remember your time should be valuable, you shouldn't need to use the audition as a rehearsal because your show should be perfect before you see the manager. Therefore use the time you would have wasted in seeing a prospect that can afford you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:33 pm 
born to perform.

On one of bill malone's on the loose dvds he gives great advice on this situation...he had bets with people that he could go into any restaurant and come out with a job offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:32 am 
Penguin

Paddy has a good idea there! Your time is valuable!

So why are magicians always the first to audition for FREE?

I swear the next time I go to a new restaurant I'm going to order a steak and then call the manager over. Tell him, "it's my first time here so I'm going to audition your steak. If I like it, I'll come eat here more and pay. But for now, gimmie a steak for free."

Here's how to do an audition (it's worked for me firsthand)...
You tell them that you'll do a given night for 1 hour.
...If they like you and commit to 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 years, whatever...then that hour was complimentary and you'll see them next week.

---If they say, "Thanks but no thanks." No problem! They pay you for that hour and you part ways.

See - no free. No no no! Quit giving your time away! It's your most valuable asset! SERIOUSLY!

Cups - I could give them away and get new ones.
Cards - same story.
In fact, I could give away EVERY MAGIC EFFECT I HAVE...and by next week, have it replaced.

But TIME - once it's gone. Forget it. Quit wasting it!

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:17 pm 
Penguin

there are arguments for and against your idea..... it's interesting however.

I think because I'm relatively new to the performing and business end of magic (It's not like i'm booked every weekend), the time thing is not as important for me. So if it takes a free night for them to like me, then i'll do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:22 pm 
Penguin

The point is if they like you then they do get that night "free" (but you've got them signed for a contract period, which gets you paid)

And whether or not you're 15 or 65 - time is just as valuable. Don't ever sell your time short.

I can't make you value your time.
Ironically the only thing that can make one value their time is...well...time.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:04 pm 
Penguin

lol. yea i understood what you said...and that's my perspective on it. Again, you do have a good point.