View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: starting out
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:52 pm 
Penguin

hello im am 15 years old and i love magic! I am realy thinking of starting out as a walk around magician. i have a small short sweet routine set up that i think would kill in action. i also have done some reserch and have lerned the proper techniques on getting the job and how to interact with peaple and hecklers. i would realy like it if some one would post a few good tricks to master before i take a jo. i have seen other post were peaple are justlerning tricks a week before and i dont want to be like that.
the tricks i have are a cups and balls routine,spongeballs,a few good card tricks that are compleatly inpectable,the raven for short sweet magic,and i have scotch and soda wich always goes good, and i have a few books. i hope to add tricks that you provide that work best for you that i may try out. please dont be biased i dont intend to dump allover the good magician name and intend to master all tricks before preforming.
my choices for work are applebees,saltwatergrill(a very nice place)and other local places. please post some tricks that work for you and how you aproach a table. thx :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:40 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I would highly recommend basically anything from Jay Sankey. His stuff is specifically designed for walk around, and works great in resturaunt work. If you want a place to start, I would suggest The Very Best Of. It will give you a lot of material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:24 am 
Penguin

Quote:
I have a small short sweet routine set up that I think would kill in action.

Quote:
I would realy like it if some one would post a few good tricks to master before I take a jo

I thought you said you had a "sweet" routine that would "kill"?

Dude, go in. Work what you've got. Learn from your mistakes. (you'll make plenty) and then add new effects.

By the way - the only GOOD routines (or "sweet" as you say) are routines that audiences ENJOY. Rule of thumb - if another magician thinks "that kills!" - dump it.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:07 pm 
Penguin

hey i know some of the words i used are a little strong but hey lol. anny ways i have some good tricks but not alot and i dont want the same peaple seeing the same tricks. i was planing to do the same routine at two parts of the place then go back were i started with a diferent one so no one would see a repeat.i think that method should work well. i also just included jeapordy by paul green. it is a great efect that involves the entire audiance and lets the spectators get hold of the cards.i recomend you get his dvd "in the trenches" it has jeapordy and alot of other great affects. so i have sankey but i need some specific tricks that realy work for you when you do them. thx for the responds so far! :D

Post subject: Re: starting out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:23 am 
Penguin

im only a young magision im younger than u but if u want some advise i recomed some criss angle or maybe some david bland cause they awsome at street magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:51 pm 
born to perform.

use a regular deck and effects that you dont need to set up. Make it quick visual and NO RESET. People will watch you go to the restroom after every table and think you have the hershey squirts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:41 am 
Penguin

One thing you need to remember about resturant work, the audience keeps changing, so the routines you choose should be ease of setup and simple in nature. Some people will come back in with others just because they enjoyed what you did and want to share their experience with their friends. :)
One trick that still amazes me with reactions is the Hot Rod.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/browse.php? ... ng=hot+rod

As far approching tables, if there is anything that advertises that you are doing magic, the 'intrusion' of the customers space is easier. You should learn how to read people so you understand if walking up to them will be welcome. If they seem to be in an intense conversation go on by. If you are doing some magic for others and others seem to be trying to see what you are doing, by all means, go over and do things for them when you are finished. When there is advertising about you doing magic (newspaper ads, tent cards, or even a sign as customers come in), sometimes people will ask the staff where you are and the staff can let you know where these interested people are seated. Also, DO NOT be doing magic for the staff of the resturant while they are to be working if you too are working there (even on an off time). Management has a tendency to notice the customer care being neglected and people can loose jobs.
Learn some good impromtu effects that you can mix into your repertoire also for repeat customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:44 pm 
Penguin

thanks on that. i know the hotrod routine but i dont realy like that piece of magic. and i know its comon sence to not go up to a table while they are being served by a waiter or waitres. I AM WANTING TRICK IDEAS!!!
a few peaple have responded to that but im looking for more. plz post :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:00 am 
Penguin

If all u are wanting are more tricks u aren't ready... As a professional you need to entertain - and this requires understanding the business of entertainment.

Take telling a joke - a gr8 comedian can take any joke and make it funnier a non comedian can tell the same joke and it can bomb....

If you want to learn more about what is involved with true entertainment buy Owed to Poker Dan by Ron Bauer - what you are getting is NOT just a trick but an insight into the thought of how to present....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:10 pm 
Penguin

i know im not ready im not planing to start till the winter season is over. that why im asking duh :lol: as for funny stuf im full of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:28 pm 
Penguin

and there lies the problem :-)

Post subject: Re: starting out
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm 
born to perform.

magickid24 wrote:
im only a young magision im younger than u but if u want some advise I recomed some criss angle or maybe some david bland cause they awsome at street magic

Don't listen to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:04 pm 
Penguin

ok peaple i know what im talking about here i KNOW IM NOT READY YET!!!!!!! i keep saying that but peaple just keep snapping at me! im looking for tricks so i can master them then ill be ready. :shock: do you see a trend here? now will some one please post some tricks they like to do? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:04 pm 
Penguin

Hot Rod.. but you don't like it. Sponge Balls or Rabbits if there are children. ACR. Card to Wallet. Matrix. Chop Cup. Invisible deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:12 am 
Penguin

thank you khuldren. i have card to walet and sponge balls and an invisible deck but ill check on those others thx 8)