View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:00 pm 

I said that I would answer my own questions so here goes. To reiterate; "what is your purpose for want to perform in restaurants? Added points, what is the main selling point to having YOU in that restaurant?"

My answers are simple, I want to work in restaurants to increase the bottom line for that restaurant, to help make that general manager more money thus a larger bonus for them.

The main selling point I use is not only that I increase their profit, but I become part of the team that ensures customer satisfaction and makes that customer not only return, but tell their friends that they had one edited of a good time.

By keeping my focus on helping the restaurant make money rather than making more money for me I stay aware of what makes MY customer (the G.M.) happy and remember if the G.M. ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. By being part of the team, I work with the wait staff, and avoid them thinking I am after THEIR tips. I let the wait staff know that a happy customer tips bigger. This gets the wait staff on my side rather than having them fight me.

All were good responses and I'm glad that everyone thought about the underlying reasons for working restaurants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:18 pm 
Penguin

Great advice, if you worry about making the GM more money....In turn does that earn you more money...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:13 am 
Penguin

Some times yes Max.
Just like any job after a while you can renegotiate your pay rate. But don't hink just because you think the resturant is doing more buisness, that it really is or that you should deserve a cut of that profits.
Sometimes when your working a resturant you might cause a busy night to be a bit slower with turn arounds on the tables. Some tables stay longer watching you or waiting for you to perform so you actually cost the resturant money. But these are things you work around and understand as you start performing in that style of venue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:56 am 
Penguin

Alright, so I have two questions: Would keeping a few balloons on me to do some sculptures for kids be a good idea for restuarants and also, is a diamond silk fountain a good transitional item that can be used in restauratn....I know alot of people use this on stage but I was thinking I could combine it a tthe start of a table act after a short silk act the pull a deck of cards from it and finish with a trick or two. Do you think this would be alright.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:22 am 
Penguin

Always check with the resturant owner or managment about balloons.
Some resturants don't want you doing them. Some don't want you doing them directly at the tables.
Now todays standard magician wants to be David Blaine or Chriss Angel and will not do balloons because they don't want to be a clown!
I will tell you that balloons are a great addition to my magic. I have routines built around them. I get wonderful tips and I'm able to do something for some people who actually don't like magic.
So seriously think about adding it to your rep max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:08 am 
Penguin

Yes, I really am , I just bought a book on them last week and I'm buyin Balloon School for Christmas, After my balloons get in I will practise because along with the book and dvd there are alot of great resources on the net as well. I know alot of grea opportunites that can combine balloons and magic together . As I mentioned before , there is a huge trade show and the national buskers festival in my town every year...It just went by about 2 months ago so I'll see how set I am for it next year...Thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 am 
Penguin

No problem Max.
There is a Busker Duo that does a full balloon routine involving a duel with a kid in the audienece. Its on the DVD Street Performers. So it can be done and very succesfully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:18 am 
Penguin

That's really interesting, I'd like to seee something like that performed for tips and curiousity in general...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 pm 
Penguin

Check out this video its on here
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1488