View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:29 pm 
Penguin

Paddy didnt you post your site before?
I couldnt find the link. It might not have been a direct site but I remeber it had a pic of you and your kid.
Maybe I'm way off and that was someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 pm 

space_ghost15 wrote:
Paddy didnt you post your site before?
I couldnt find the link. It might not have been a direct site but I remeber it had a pic of you and your kid.
Maybe I'm way off and that was someone else.

Yep you are way off. I am 61 Yrs old and my youngest kid is over 30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:02 pm 
Penguin

Yeah as I finished typing that I was like "wait a minute I think thats someone else". Sorry :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:28 pm 
Penguin

How long have you been performing professionaly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:31 am 

Magic_Maxwell wrote:
How long have you been performing professionaly?

Nine years total, 2 yrs part time and 7 yrs full time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:50 am 
Penguin

1.5 years professionally now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:02 pm 
Penguin

I guess I have a long way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 pm 
Penguin

I have a question that may be personal but feel free to not answer if you don't want to...What is your actual work schedule for the weeek like how many hours etc. How many places do you perform and what is an average amount of money that should be made table hopping, you don't have to tell me what you make if you don't want because it's personal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:32 pm 
Penguin

I have a regular 9 to 5 job (my vacation days are taken up by doing more shoes) but am booked every weekend.
My show schedule ranges from Kids B-Day parties, Holiday parties, stage shows, Walkaround. Plus I work a resturant on sunday nights.
I'm booked for about 6-10 shows a month.
If you would like to talk prices PM me.

But as a guide I would charge 75-100 a hour for walkaround. Resturant I would charge 25-50 a hour plus tips. You can cut out the tips by charging regular walkaround prices. This has been debated (to tip or not to tip) on this board but I feel that for resturant work tips are fine and no places I've worked had problems with it (plus it makes more money).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:32 pm 

Magic_Maxwell wrote:
I have a question that may be personal but feel free to not answer if you don't want to...What is your actual work schedule for the weeek like how many hours etc. How many places do you perform and what is an average amount of money that should be made table hopping, you don't have to tell me what you make if you don't want because it's personal...

All right, we have a restaurant every night from 5 to 8 PM except Monday, that's my mental health day. Now on Sunday we also have a restaurant from Noon to 3 in addition to the % to 8 gig. That makes 7 restaurants aweek. Plus I usually have 2 to 3 parties on a Saturday plus the Corporate gigs during the week. My parties are $125 per hour and the corporate gigs vary between 300 to 500 depending on the venue, except for trade or consumer shows.

My Trade or consumer show rate starts at $3,500 a day up to $5,500 a day, again depending on where it is. The corporate rats are all plus expenses, they pay for all transportation, food and hotel costs when applicable.

I almost forgot to mention, the trade and consumer show rates are not exessive. Remember that there is only one person I know of that does exclusivly trade or consumer shows, Joel Bauer and he get $100,000.00, a day. For most of us we might get 3 to 6 shows a year like that so our rates are higher than other venues. But a company spends between $50,000 to 200,000 for one show. Some of the bigger companies, like the ones at the Auto Show going on now spend a MINIMUM of $1 million for their booth for the 1 week show. So our cost is minimal to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:07 pm 
Penguin

I know that plenty of people have been posting these outrageous prices that they charge....That sounds awesome that you can make $3500 a show...But it must take a lot to get at the level that a company is willing to charge you that much for a show....I just don't see any restaurant where I live reasonably giving me $50/hour because I live on a small island on the east coast of Canada...I only know of one magician that has ever performed on the island and he did kids shows and birthdays and Macdonalds, but other than that, I've never seen anyone else perform at restaurants so it may be harder to pick up a gig....If a restaurant wanteed me to perform but only for $15 / hour starting or something, I don't know if it would be even worht while...It would for experiance of course but the money just wouldn't be their....Did you actually start out charging like $50 / hour and do you know any young magicians that are only 18 and 19 that charge those rates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:14 am 
Penguin

Magic_Maxwell wrote:
I know that plenty of people have been posting these outrageous prices that they charge....That sounds awesome that you can make $3500 a show...But it must take a lot to get at the level that a company is willing to charge you that much for a show....I just don't see any restaurant where I live reasonably giving me $50/hour because I live on a small island on the east coast of Canada...I only know of one magician that has ever performed on the island and he did kids shows and birthdays and Macdonalds, but other than that, I've never seen anyone else perform at restaurants so it may be harder to pick up a gig....If a restaurant wanteed me to perform but only for $15 / hour starting or something, I don't know if it would be even worht while...It would for experiance of course but the money just wouldn't be their....Did you actually start out charging like $50 / hour and do you know any young magicians that are only 18 and 19 that charge those rates?

Yes, some of the prices do 'sound' far fetced, but in the corporate world of tradeshows, these companies are very competative and these costs are actually an investment. The addage of it takes money to make money fits right in. What they spend now will be returned to them either in sales or buisness ventures and partnerships.
You cannot start out at the top dollar range, unless of course you are of the same polished and entertaing caliber and even then it may be difficult.
Some people are great at being able to sell themselves and others use agents.
I know that time is valuable and such a low rate sounds cheap, but remember, you gotta spend money to make money. In otherwords, if you are just starting out and the restaurant is willing to pay $15-20, go for it. In the long run, you are 1) getting some compensation for your time 2) performing for real people and polishing your performing style 3) getting your name out for posible/probable bookings outside of the restsurant. Down the road you will probably get another gig, perhaps after a time the restaurant you are currently working, you will be able to negotiate for more pay.
Also, and perhaps paddy or someone else can help with this aspect, contracts. If you do get a steady table hopping job, you will want a contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:27 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice...It would accept $15 just for the experiance and to get my name out their of course....But I would hope to be making more then $60 a week haha...I guess that's why most magicians have other jobs as well when they start out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:52 pm 
born to perform.

what you want to try and do first, is get some private jobs through family. Film your performances if possible, you will notice big changes. You will imporve alot. Then go to the retaurant scene. But dont do kids parties. The magician is often the main attraction, and unless your routine is tried tested and perfected dont do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:55 pm 
Penguin

I think I would be more suited to do restaurant gigs anyways....Kids routines may require alot of gimmicked tricks..I know people will argue with this but it is alot cheaper and easier to carry around a pack of cards and some coins in a restaurant rather than have magic coloring books and joker tubes etc as you would find in a kids show....For the maturity level and simplicity level, I would be more interested in adult shows.