View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fun Magic at School
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:03 pm 
Penguin

They think I'm like Jesus now. =]

Once you get your crowd going they start to think you can do anything. I did one of the simplest things to my friend John. I french dropped a quarter and pretended to hand it to him. When I opened my hand I accidently brushed his palm and he believes he felt the coin melt in his hand.

Anyways, just a fun story I'm sharing that shows how much fun it is to get your crowd into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

Good job, welcome 8)

I believe that performing in school can make or break any magician. I'm glad to read that this first post of yours wasn't a whining one or a story about a bad experience asking for help.

One more word of advice. If specs look up to you, you shouln't look down on them. I'm not saying you are, but it's just something i've learned.

Also, why was this posted in the restaraunt magic section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:52 pm 
Penguin

They mention school sin the discription. :)

Should I be somewhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:57 pm 
born to perform.

School threads usually go in street magic. But you're fine. I never noticed that schools were in the description...... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:16 pm 
Penguin

I started magic at school and thats where I do most of it. My friend showed me a varient of "The Hit Man" and I've been all about magic ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:32 pm 
born to perform.

Cool. How long have you been performing? What kind of magic do you like best? How old are you? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 pm 
Penguin

I've been performing for a few months. I'm big into card magic. Just starting coin and other small object stuff. Some of my favorite tricks are Two Card Monte, Nemesis, and alot of impromtu improvising. I recently got a job so now I'm starting to buy some gimmick stuff, but not too much. I like slieght of hand better than gimmicks.

I'm also into pick pocketing. I'm only able to jack stuff from sweatshirts, hoodies, and coats though. Sometimes baggy pants.

And I just turned 16 in October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:15 am 
Penguin

Good luck man.
Its a wonderful performing art.
Look into joining your local SAM or IBM chapter.
Some quick (and this is very quick) key's to magic.
1. This is alot of peoples dream, don't destory that by not practicing or showing a effect before its ready.
2. Do effects and routines. Don't just be a guy that does card tricks. Thats not a magician thats a weird uncle at a x-mas party
3. Listen to other magicians advice. They have been there before and are a wealth of knowledge.
4. No not expose or stoop to cheap methods to obtain your magic (example- youtube, metafile and such)
5. I know this is hard at a young age when you want to learn every trick and every thing is so new and exciting but focus on putting together routines and the performing part of magic. Its what really makes or breaks a magician.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:46 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, man. I realize that I'm just a beginner. I am still just showing some tricks to people. I only just recently started a little bit of a routine. Starting with color changes like Red Hot Mamacitia and Nemesis. I also do alot of Monte tircks in one routine I'm working on. Not sure what its called, but a favorite of mine is where you give someone a card show your card and tap or rub their hand, do a magic move, and the cards switch. Its very simple, just a series of dubble lifts, but it looks so amazing.

I got alot of the skill stuff down. I need to work on my misderection and performance mostly. Being new I try to focus on not messing up the trick and forget the physcology part. I'm improving quickly I think, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:16 pm 
Penguin

Keep it up man.
Look into some classic's of magic.
Read stuff from Slydini for misdirection, he was the master.
As for not messing up. Practice all the time and perform your routines/effects for friends and classmates. This way when you do it for complete strangers and you should be nervous....you'll breeze thru it because its all second nature to you.
Don't stop doing a effect just because you got it down and showed one group of people. Keep doing that effect for more people so you can get it to be flawless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

a routine DOES NOT consist of tricks like each other. That gets repetitive and boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:42 pm 
born to perform.

I would recommend buying the DVD On the Spot with Gregory Wilson. It really helps you with misdirection and you can learn how to entertain with comedy like Greg does. Plus, it will separate you from a guy who does card tricks, because the whole DVD teaches completely impromptu magic with borrowed items and no gimmicks at all. That's what really amazes people, when they see you doing magic with their borrowed items and acting casually like it's no big deal :D

I think it's important for people to perform other tricks than just cards, because card tricks are the classic of magic, and we, as magicians, try to be unique and have our own style.

Post subject: I like your name
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:52 pm 
Penguin

I'm 16 too. Trust me, once you start showing a few good routines its hard to stop because kids just want more and more. Good luck.

Best wishes,
TanTheMan

Post subject: Ohh yeah,
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:54 pm 
Penguin

Definately get On The Spot. Modern Coin Magic. Peoplpe love IT stuff. Anything with money ie Greed, Hundy 500. And I dunno if you want to get into it but Shock FX is always there.