View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

Whether or not "you think" age is irrelevant, is irrelevant in itself. What truly matters is what the management, or those who hire you think. You are speaking from a very biased viewpoint simply because it relates to your own position. When in fact it is others who will be judging you, not you judging yourself.

Who do you think a restaurant is going to hire if given the choice between say a 50-year old performer who has done magic professionally for 30 years, or a 14-year old kid who is just starting out and not even the legal age to work really? You know the answer. I can also honestly say that I have never seen any restaurant magician in my area younger than about 30, even though there are not many magicians in my area at all.

Whether you like it or not, your age will overrule all those other factors that should be taken into consideration; but they won't. No one is going to take you seriously and are going to turn a blind eye simply because you are too young to worry about. That is the world, and that is life. But there is no hurry to start working, and there shouldn't be. Enjoy your youth while you can, it won't be around forever.

Granted I began working professionally full-time at age 16, but I also knew that I was ready after 9 years of extensive, and painstaking practice and rehearsal; along with the occasional paid gig here and there. I was committed to performing magic full-time as a career from the early age of 7, and I saw that dream through to fruition. It was ALL I did, and there was no internet then. But I was also 16, not 14. Believe it or not there is big difference, especially to potential employers.

It doesn't matter how big, or how old you look physically... but how old you ARE. To believe otherwise you are just living in your own world of self-delusion, and denial. Practice two more years, then "maybe" you can start entertaining the thought a little more seriously. Better yet 4 more years, good things come to those who wait...

Last edited by sirbrad on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
Yes all those have actually happened. Since I have 3 restaurants in KY that I work the breast feeding happens quite often. Not because Kentuckians don't care but it is legal for woman to breast feed in public there where in other states they have to either cover themselves with something or go to the ladies room.

Well you could have said maybe, "Oh I see you seem to very uninhibited when it comes to taking off your clothes in public, guess I am not surprised that you have a baby...baby." Would that be grounds for dismissal? :) At the very least you might leave together...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

hopefully if she has a baby she has a husband and or father and they probably won't be leaving together then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That is wishful thinking in this world today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 pm 
born to perform.

benlewis2004 wrote:
ALSO A 13 YEAR OLD CANNOT HAVE THE SAM EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR!

You mentioned he needs experience, there is no better way to get experience than to perform in a real situation. Okay, a 13 year old probably wouldn't know what to do about the whole breast-feeding thing, but unless you live in Kentuck, that's not gonna be a problem. I don't think a 13 year old would get hired very often, but if he does, he should go for it. I think that Parasiteyo is giving some good advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

A 13 year old is simply not old enough. They are not mature enough. And they can't legally work anyway. Age does matter, that's life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

So what are they gonna do, call the cops on you?
I can hear it now,
"911, what is your emergency?"
"There's a 13 year old at this restaraunt performing magic for us. Come take him to jail."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

They won't call the cops, but the resturaunt can get into very serious trouble. Check out child labor laws, they exist for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:03 pm 

juggleguy wrote:
So what are they gonna do, call the cops on you?
I can hear it now,
"911, what is your emergency?"
"There's a 13 year old at this restaraunt performing magic for us. Come take him to jail."

No, but I would call the local child welfare dept and the state dept of labor. The restaurant could lose their business license plus the health dept could shut them down.

To hire an underage kid is a felony in all states in the U.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:24 am 
Penguin

for a start!!!!!!! a 13 or 14 year old is not a 9 year old so do not treat these people like they are kids, i am 15 and agree that if i was confronted with a 45 year old magician and a 13 year old magician that i would have more respect for the 45 year old, in saying that i do agree with that 13 year old guy about what he stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:51 am 
Team Penguin

13 year old is still a kid. In my eyes, adulthood isn't fully reached until municple reponsabilities are attained....like DRIVING for instance. It must be embarrassing for you mommy to drop you off at work (the restaraunt) as well as come pick you up...At age thirteen, I was doing birthday parties left and right. I wasn't an adult, but I was being very successful. Birthday parties are a bit different than restaraunt work though...people don't go to the restaraunt to be entertained...they go to EAT and sometimes to STUDY or RELAX. You have to have enough experience in performing to know who to and who not to perform for. As a thirteen year old I remember thinking "Wow, everybody has to love magic...I am gonna show it to whoever I can" This was definately the wrong approach. Some people just don't want to see it, and some people just don't need to see it.

When you (a 13 year old) approaches a table and does magic, the spectators think (Awe...how cute, this kid can do some tricks) but when and adult approaches the table it's (wow, this guy is very professional...he does some really cool stuff).

Another thing you will get too much of is PITTY. People will applaud you and "PRETEND" to be amazed because your a kid. THey want to be politically correct and not hurt your feelings, so they will make it seem like you are amazing and then talk about you behind your back. Nobody wants to hurt a kid's feelings. If you grow up doing magic and recieving "PITTY APPLAUSE", then you are really gonna suck it up in the deep end when you are actually older and performing. Nobody shows pitty for adult performers. You won't be able to understand why nobody actually likes your awefull performance...so let me tell you now in case this happens...IT'S BECAUSE OF ALL THAT PITTY YOU RECIEVED THUS MAKING YOU FEEL GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR MAGIC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:53 am 
Penguin

Quote:
To hire an underage kid is a felony in all states in the U.S.

It depends on the work hired for. Underage kids can and do work on farms, albeit it is pulling weeds or picking produce, but they are allowed to have a job. Also, if hiring an underage kid is a felony, I guess any type of entertainment, movies and/or plays, the producers of all those should be in jail, unless of course all the child actors are of age and just look really, really young (especially the ones that grew up as Kate and Ashley Olsen).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:49 pm 
Penguin

Fedral Law
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets 14 as the minimum age for most non-agricultural work. However, at any age, youth may deliver newspapers; perform in radio, television, movie, or theatrical productions; work in businesses owned by their parents (except in mining, manufacturing or hazardous jobs); and perform babysitting or perform minor chores around a private home. Also, at any age, youth may be employed as homeworkers to gather evergreens and make evergreen wreaths.

Working as a magician in a resturant is Entertainment not a theatrical production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

dropbear3 wrote:
for a start!!!!!!! a 13 or 14 year old is not a 9 year old so do not treat these people like they are kids, I am 15 and agree that if I was confronted with a 45 year old magician and a 13 year old magician that I would have more respect for the 45 year old, in saying that I do agree with that 13 year old guy about what he stated.
13 and 14 year olds are kids. You're still a kid. That's something you have to realize. And being a kid, that's exactly how you will be treated. That's life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:46 pm 
Penguin

Well i must appologize for ruffling so many feathers.
I did get it offerred to me but will be declining, after some thinking.
I honestly dont know about canadian labour laws but i do know for a fact that the majority of my friends (also 14) have jobs working in retail, so one would assume that the minimum age here is 14.
In any case; i dont honestly think i have enough experience to work as a magician yet, and thats why im declining the job.
As far as situational stuff goes, its not a particularly big issue for me, however, the '"demon magic" and walk out without paying' may be.
Honestly, i dont know what the big deal is here. a few of you came with the comparison of an Xyear old magician (middle aged) with 10+ years of experience. But at the same time- how many magicians are there (to start with), let alone wanting a job at the same restaurant (ESPECIALLY in canada).
I work as an entertainer, its what i do, and im sorry if you have a problem with it.

Sorry if i pissed anyone off (for lord knows what reason)
PAra

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next