View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:09 am 
Penguin

No one has a problem that you want to entertain for a living.
Do what you love.
What I worried about was if you could legally work. Check into it (working retail and performing walk around at a restaurant are different. especially if they server alcohol there).

Next thing. I've been practicing magic since I was 8 years old (currently 27) and when I was 13 I was sure that I was good enough to get paid to do magic. Then I saw real performers. Real restaurant workers and buskers and realized I had a long road ahead. So don't get mad (even tho you will because 13 year olds think they know every thing) just keep practicing, go to your local SAM or IBM meeting, talk to professionals (some are even on these boards), see if you can apprentice with a pro in your area, go to as many shows as possible and see real workers perform (don't and i mean don't steal their material).
But keep at it and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am 
Penguin

I've heard talk of this IBM ring meeting, what exactly is this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:28 am 
Penguin

Max,
International Brotherhood of Magicans.
Check them out at
http://www.magician.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:32 pm 
Team Penguin

I am a member of another organization called the Society of American Magicians (SAM)

www.magicsam.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:57 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
bucky310 wrote:
hopefully if she has a baby she has a husband and or father and they probably won't be leaving together then.

Are you saying that the she (the mother) needs either a husband or a father (i.e. the baby has a father or grandfather)?

Or does she refer to the baby, thus the baby needs a husband or a father (i.e. the mother has a husband or father)?

In any case, it sounds like you have something against illegitimate children and a woman's emancipation. You should be ashamed of yourself thinking like this in today's society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:11 am 
born to perform.

I am saying that hopefully the mother who was breastfeeding has a husband to go with the baby, or at least the baby has a father and they are not yet married. This way, whoever said that they could leave together is completely wrong. Basically I was hoping that the baby's father is married to the mother. I do realize that I didn't type it out as well as I could have but its exam time in university and my brain is a little out of whack, so you'll have to forgive me. Trust me I am in no way a person who believes women are under men, we are all equals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 am 
born to perform.

And no I do believe it is better if the baby has a father that is married to the mother, to me that is proper and what should be. I do also believe that it is the woman's choice to keep the baby away from the father if he is unsuitable as a parent. I believe you should be ashamed for discouraging a father's prescence in a childs life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You might want to check my "location." I must be better than I thought, eh SmokingMonkey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:31 am 
born to perform.

you seem to be pretty good if you weren't serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thank you, that is why I am the President.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

If age actually was not a factor, why would this even be brought up? Because it IS a factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:38 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
sirbrad wrote:
You might want to check my "location." I must be better than I thought, eh SmokingMonkey?

Yes, If you remember, that is why you named me Vice-President.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

i hate to say it, but i think age can help you get a job. (NOT IN ANYWAY SAYING YOU CAN, BUT I BELIVE A 24 YEAR OLD WOULD BE ABLE TO GET A JOB, FASTER THEN A 13 YEAR OLD, EVEN IF THE 13 YEAR OLD HAS MORE EXPERIANCE. ) simply because that is the way life is. in GENERAL people will hear and listen to the 24 year old more then the 13 year old. now i do believe in all means that a 13 year old can get a job, and get gigs, but it will probably be harder then, well, for that 24 year old to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

agold7964 wrote:
I hate to say it, but I think age can help you get a job. (NOT IN ANYWAY SAYING YOU CAN, BUT I BELIVE A 24 YEAR OLD WOULD BE ABLE TO GET A JOB, FASTER THEN A 13 YEAR OLD, EVEN IF THE 13 YEAR OLD HAS MORE EXPERIANCE. ) simply because that is the way life is. in GENERAL people will hear and listen to the 24 year old more then the 13 year old. now I do believe in all means that a 13 year old can get a job, and get gigs, but it will probably be harder then, well, for that 24 year old to.
You are forgetting one thing though, for the most part, a 13 year old can't even get a job, because it's against the law. That's the biggest factor. If you can't legally be hired, you can't get the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Someone that young is also too immature usually, and considered "high risk." There may be extreme exceptions, however usually someone that young could never grasp what having to work for a living means. Not working simply because they want some more "trick buying money," while the real head(s) of the household support them.

No competent manager is going to take someone that young seriously, not because of some type of prejudice; but simply due to the fact that this "kid" still has a lot of growing to do—and a lot of life lessons to learn. Kids change on a whim, and could quit the job the next day...hence the term "high risk." Almost every adult in the restaurant is going to have the attitude of "awwww look at the cute kid doing magic," not that of a mature, and adult professional.

The adult will be taken more seriously by EVERYONE, because he NEEDS this job to survive. He is not simply using the restaurant as a "demo room" until he gets bored. I did not even think about performing professionally, even part-time; until I was at least 16. Even though technically I was ready much younger. I already had 9 years under my belt, but I also had the wisdom and common sense to realize that I should not expect to get work until I was at least 16.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next