View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:15 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
sirbrad wrote:
I already had 9 years under my belt, but I also had the wisdom and common sense to realize that I should not expect to get work until I was at least 16.

You're probably from the 70's.

You also probably know how to read, not only what the letters and words mean, but the context that arises when they are put together.

Today's kids can just buy a DVD with wisdom and common sense.
It's much faster and easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Ah yes, you just gave me a new idea for a product.

30 years in 30 minutes...same thing

"Now you too can obtain the wisdom, and common sense of a magician who has been in magic for 30 years! You only need to watch the 30 minute DVD, and after that 30 minutes, you will basically be a 30 year veteran! No one, and we mean NO ONE will be able to tell the difference! Rub elbows with other long time pros, talk shop in back rooms just like an established professional!

Even though no one has ever heard of you, we can guarantee that they will assume you have been involved in magic for 30 years! Even if you are 12-years old, it IS THAT CONVINCING! Better yet order the instant download version and save a whopping 20%!

Disclaimer: Wigs, make-up, gray hair dye, and cane not included

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

dam the fine print at the bottom. How much is the kit for those materials?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:07 pm 
born to perform.

bendini wrote:
dam the fine print at the bottom. How much is the kit for those materials?

lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:27 am 
Emperor Penguin

The DVD is an overpriced $59.95. The kit is $19.95. The ID version is $47.96 (Save 20%!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:28 am 
Penguin

Please don't bump old threads...

Post subject: My Opinion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:07 am 
Penguin

I do resteraunt magic and I am only 11!!! I have even gotten paid. As long as you are mature, funny and have some good tricks, they will respect you no matter what age- especially if you are doing card sleight of hand at 11- it is even more amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:17 am 
born to perform.

they dont respect you they think your cute, and you are in no way helping the business, you are not bringing in more customers. You are ruining the job for the real professional and downgrading it. How much are you paid? (You are working ILEGALLY)

Post subject: Me
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:29 am 
Penguin

I wouldn't really call it pay- It was more like tips. One guy screamed when i did the raven and gave me a ten dollar bill. I wasn't hired. At supermarkets i go around and do magic. And not to be rude, have you ever seen me perform? So how do you know they don't respect me? Last time I checked, People screaming, what the f***, was not going , oh how cute is he with his Marvins Magic Kit!

But I do agree with you, the would respect an adult more. But they do respect me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:51 pm 
born to perform.

Well, technically, Mindfreak, that is not restaurant magic because you are not hired by the restaurant.

But I guess in a literal sense, doing magic in a restaurant is restaurant magic..... And magic done in a supermarket is supermarket magic......

Anyway, I do think that an older magician would be more respected and would quickly get the job. On the other hand, I believe that if the kid has a good level of maturity, and a good presentation, and can be taken seriously, then the kid has a good chance of getting hired. However, if it is a choice between the kid and an older magician, the kid doesn't have much of a chance.

But here's something to think about: I (as well as many others) have seen some grown men and women who have worse technique/ presentation than some of the kids, so in that case it would be a loss to the restaurant to hire the older magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:54 pm 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
The DVD is an overpriced $59.95. The kit is $19.95. The ID version is $47.96 (Save 20%!)
im gonna have to get the ID and kit. Do you ship directly or do i have to buy from a warehouse such as penguin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:42 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
sirbrad wrote:
im gonna have to get the ID and kit. Do you ship directly or do I have to buy from a warehouse such as penguin?

Oh how I hope you are just joking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:
I wouldn't really call it pay- It was more like tips. One guy screamed when I did the raven and gave me a ten dollar bill. I wasn't hired. At supermarkets I go around and do magic. And not to be rude, have you ever seen me perform? So how do you know they don't respect me? Last time I checked, People screaming, what the f***, was not going , oh how cute is he with his Marvins Magic Kit!

But I do agree with you, the would respect an adult more. But they do respect me.
You're not really working at a resturaunt then. The resturaunt would never hire you, as they shouldn't. It doesn't matter how good you are, you're still a kid, and people are giong to treat you just like that. You could be the most mature 11 year old in the world, but as far as the world is concerned, you are still a child. That's the whole point.

SirBrad-I bet now, some magic company is really going to to take your idea and run with it. We'll see hundreds of kids in a 30 year old's disguise. Great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

lolx wrote:
Please don't bump old threads...

Why not? What is the point of the search button then? Please don't spam in bumped old threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:31 pm 
Penguin

So here is a question... if you are hired into a restaurant to be doing magic and you get injured on the job; ie burned hand with flash paper, tripped over a chair, punched in the mouth by an over jealous boyfriend/husband, etc. are you on the restaurants workmans comp? I doubt it.
As table hoppers, we are considered sub contractors. Child labor laws would not cover that if the performer is only 13 and sub contracted themselves to the gig. The restaurant would not be held accountable for the sub contractors age or injury if there was one.
Is 13 to young? Perhaps, but there are 5 year old prodeges in other art forms that get paid for their talents.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next