View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: are these reasonable?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

Hey, im starting to plan for restaurant magic, I got an offer a while back but said will call back after i have routines and practice.

Here are some tricks i would like to perform but dont know if it is the right genre for restaraunt magic

The effects i would want to do:
Sponge balls
cups and balls
metal bending
indecent
money magic
Torn and restored Napkin
two card monte

do you think these would be alright for restaurants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

they sound pretty great to me. just remember that when your doing retaurant magic you're going to be right at their table with them. So make sure that your cup and balls is rather angle proof and condensed into a small area. Metal bending is a great one( make sure the manager is cool withit). everything else sounds great. i recommend gregory wilsons "ON The Spot" if you don't have it.

-connor- 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:22 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, i would second getting on the spot. It will help you out tremendously. In my opinion, money magic is the best kind of magic for the streets and/or restaraunts because it's something that everyone carries.

Is your torn and restored napkin trick the kind where the magician shows the audience that there's two napkins, but restores the other one also? If so, good. If not, then learn a different version.

What kind of restaraunt will you be performing in? Because if someone is eating finger food, they won't want to touch your spongeballs with their messy hands :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:47 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks and I will do the Torn and Restored napkin by bob white i think. Its on penguin if you want to see it. Also It is a local restaurant but i been thinking about Cici's pizza. Would any of oyu recommend Cici's or stay away from it

Post subject: Re: are these reasonable?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:20 pm 

bendini wrote:
Hey, im starting to plan for restaurant magic, I got an offer a while back but said will call back after I have routines and practice.

Here are some tricks I would like to perform but dont know if it is the right genre for restaraunt magic

The effects I would want to do:
Sponge balls
cups and balls
metal bending
indecent
money magic
Torn and restored Napkin
two card monte

do you think these would be alright for restaurants?

Ben, I'll ask you the same as I just posted 2 times now. Come on, you live in Hamilton so you have had the chance to see Jory or myself work. But have you? Have you ever been in a restaurant that had a magician working there? From these questions it doesn't sound like it.

Go see a restaurant magician first, then get a show together then ask the questions.

Tell me how you would do Cups and Balls at a table in a crowded restaurant, with servers walking by you all the time. Tell me how you do metal bending without urinating off the manager by screwing up his flatware.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:31 pm 
Verified VIP

For anyone thinking of doing restaurant magic, I would like to suggest you take a look at the newly released set of DVDs, Live At the Jailhouse. I was involved in the project and I think (biased, of course) that it contains a full course in the art of restaurant magic.

Great perfomrnaces by legendary Kirk Charles, Dan Fleshman, Justin Miller, Garrett Thomas, and myself. Sage advice from all of the above and Dan Tong.

Expensive? Not for the performer that really wants answers.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green

PS I receive no financial consideration for the above posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:45 pm 
born to perform.

paul you dident mention kozmo?!?!?!(my teacher) he has skill just like the rest of them hes wicked and a big influence on my magic. Anything he produces is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:48 pm 
Verified VIP

You are more than correct! Kozmo's performance and input is huge!

I apologize!

Regards,

Paul Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm 
born to perform.

LOL im dumb. i meant chop cup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:05 pm 
born to perform.

If you are going to use Cups and Balls you have to be really careful. Here are some pointers that I'll give you from my experience.

-Never touch a ball when you don't have to, it makes laymen suspicious(sp?)
-Make sure you got the Cups and Balls routine down to the Nitty Gritty. People can be very harsh with this effect.
-Either do your routine fast and mention to them that you have fast hands. Or do it slow but use major patter.

Theres my two cents.

-Shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

LOL, you have no clue what you are talking about, do you volcom? The more you touch the balls, the easier it is to conceal what you are doing. I have seen some routines where the balls barely hit the table, and have been the best I have seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:21 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
LOL, you have no clue what you are talking about, do you volcom? The more you touch the balls, the easier it is to conceal what you are doing. I have seen some routines where the balls barely hit the table, and have been the best I have seen.

I agree, Whit Haydn , Pen and Teller and Gazzo are perfect examples...They always have balls in there hands and they are some of the greatest to mkae a cups and balls routine....Not to forget Tommy Wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:36 pm 
born to perform.

I look at cups and balls like a sponge ball routine only the cups are there for more cover and mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I do the same thing that Kraynik does. Which is usually why I have a final load of sponge balls and then go into a sponge ball routine. Seems to flow together greatly.

Bendini- I really think you should get some extra information on resturaunt magic. I would also say wait awhile. You have a lot to learn still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

Id say live at the jailhouse...if you can wait exspect a review for it VERY soon!