View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: restaurant help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:05 pm 
Penguin

Well i just need some basic help from a pro of "restaurant walkaround peps". I know you cant just walk in and start to magic for everyone that are waiting for their food or to get a table.

first question: How do you get into restaurant without just walking in and doing magic? (i mean like do you ask the manager if you can do magic for your customers that are waiting for their food/table on *this day*?

If the manager does let you perform for people in his restaurant,

2end question: how do you walk up to them. (like ask them "if they would like to see some of your magic"?)

All i need is some basic "beggining" help on Restaurant walkaround. I do know what tricks to use but just need some help getting a place to proform..

Thanks again everyone

MagicTay

[/b]

Post subject: Re: restaurant help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:14 pm 

thegenius32 wrote:
Well I just need some basic help from a pro of "restaurant walkaround peps". I know you cant just walk in and start to magic for everyone that are waiting for their food or to get a table.

first question: How do you get into restaurant without just walking in and doing magic? (I mean like do you ask the manager if you can do magic for your customers that are waiting for their food/table on *this day*?

2end question: how do you walk up to them. (like ask them "if they would like to see some of your magic"?)

All I need is some basic "beggining" help on Restaurant walkaround. I do know what tricks to use but just need some help getting a place to proform..

MagicTay[/b]

First things first. Have you ever been in a restaurant that had a magician working there? From these questions it doesn't sound like it.

Go see a restaurant magician first, then get a show together then ask the questions.
Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:34 pm 
Verified VIP

Check out the DVD set, Live At the Jailhouse.

Regards,

Paul Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:20 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
paulgreen wrote:
Check out the DVD set, Live At the Jailhouse.

Regards,

Paul Green

From the description, I find this DVD set to be an overpriced compilation of common sense.

However, for those lackig common sense, this might be value for the money.

And after re-reading the original question, I have come to the conclusion that you have just found a suitable candidate for buying this DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:58 am 

Quote:
From the description, I find this DVD set to be an overpriced compilation of common sense.

I bought it at the pre release price of $65 through another site. This DVD set is seriously worth well over US$200 from what you learn. Yes Monkey it is common sense. You take a dollar bill from someone and tear off one corner so that the serial number is on it. Then you destroy the bill right in front of everyone's eyes. Have the people at the table each hand you a packet of sugar, Equal, and Sweet & Low. Then ask one of the guests to freely choose one of the packets. When they do you tear open the packet (remember this was on the table and they freely chose it) and find the dollar bill inside. When you hold up the bill the serial number is the same as the one on the corner you tore off.

Yep, it only takes "common sense" to figure out how to do that one. I am sure that you already know how to do it because you're so famous.

Oh, this doesn't work with a card wallet, even if they are $.99 Geesh what a dummy.

Paddy

Last edited by paddy on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:21 am 
Emperor Penguin

Check out Kirk Charles. He has written on the subject, and has a nice guide out.

Post subject: Re: restaurant help
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:49 am 
born to perform.

thegenius32 wrote:
Well I just need some basic help from a pro of "restaurant walkaround peps". I know you cant just walk in and start to magic for everyone that are waiting for their food or to get a table.

first question: How do you get into restaurant without just walking in and doing magic? (I mean like do you ask the manager if you can do magic for your customers that are waiting for their food/table on *this day*?

All I need is some basic "beggining" help on Restaurant walkaround. I do know what tricks to use but just need some help getting a place to proform..

Thanks again everyone

MagicTay

[/b]

I don't think that your ready, just by the way you are asking. I would reccomend... "Acting for Magicians Handbook" & "Restaraunt Workers Handbook".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:40 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
paddy wrote:
Quote:

Yes Monkey it is common sense. You take a dollar bill from someone and tear off one corner so that the serial number is on it. Then you destroy the bill right in front of everyone's eyes. Have the people at the table each hand you a packet of sugar, Equal, and Sweet & Low. Then ask one of the guests to freely choose one of the packets. When they do you tear open the packet (remember this was on the table and they freely chose it) and find the dollar bill inside. When you hold up the bill the serial number is the same as the one on the corner you tore off.

Sounds like a cool effect.

I was refering to the following though:
    * Benefits of working in a restaurant
    * Choosing a restaurant
    * How to dress
    * How to get the job
    * How to keep the job
    * Staff relationships
    * Promotion
    * Tips
    * Getting paid
    * Character
    * Types of effects
    * Amount of material
    * Approaching the table: When & How
    * Three ways to leave the table: Entertainment no desired, The food arrives, You finish the show
    * Odds and Ends: Dealing with hecklers, Evolution of your magic, Self Promotion, Pocket Management, Mistake Recovery, Making Friends, Working for Celebs
    * Favorite Stories
    * Parting Comment
    * Bloopers and Credits
Most of this is common sense. Actually, all of it is common sense.

In any case, this DVD is being promoted as ADVICE, thus the reasons for my comments.
If this DVD was being promoted as EFFECTS, I would have other criticisms:
not enough explanation of the effects.
    Disc 1 -- 12 effects, 5 of which are explained
    Disc 2 -- 5 effects, 4 of which are explained (actually, not too bad of a deal)
    Disc 3 -- 3 effects, 2 of which are explained

However, you have shown me the light. I will cease making such comments and then enjoy the repercussions as soon as some children buy this DVD set and then feel that they are qualified to go and work restaurants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:14 pm 
Penguin

I can understand the worry as it is $80 but if Paddy thinks it is worth it then it is definately worth it...Even the sugar packet trick alone could probably sell for $50 easily...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:12 am 
Penguin

I'll agree with SmokingMonkey that as a restaurant magician, you will run into situations that require healthy doses of common sense and social grace. I don't think, however, that it's necessarily common sense to anticipate some of these scenarios. Paddy's example of the breastfeeding mother is a good illustration; it's probably a common occurrence in family restaurants, but it never would have crossed my mind as something to be mindful of in a restuarant gig until I read about it on these forums.

One of the reasons I love Kirk Charles's book on restaurant magic so much is that it includes a list of several such scenarios like this (although breastfeeding isn't on there). It's probably impossible to anticipate every situation one might run into, but going through the list gives you ample food for thought on what it takes to do the job.

As for the Live at the Jailhouse DVDs, I think they're a worthwhile purchase, at least for someone who wants to break into the restaurant magic business (I'm not a professional, so I can't tell you how much they would help the seasoned pro, but Paddy has given his endorsement, and I would take that as a good sign.) I think the best virtue of the set is that you get to hear the opinions of several working professionals, instead of just one. The performance segments come off a bit stiff; I'm guessing they had certain restaurant patrons sit in a makeshift studio so they could clearly capture everything on video, but they don't have the dynamic energy of the live performances in Greg Wilson's "On the Spot" for example. It is very valuable, however, to see the performers perform a set and actually apply the theories they talk about in the interviews. There aren't a lot of tricks taught, but the ones that are explained are top notch. I especially like Kirk Charles's chop cup routine. Like Paddy, I paid the pre-order price from Koz's website, and I'm happy I didn't have to pay 80 bucks, but I'm confident I still would have been satisfied with the product if I paid full price. The set is not a replacement for seeing live performers and reading good books on the subject, but it is great additional material to consult.

One quick question for Paddy: I've heard you say on the boards before that you don't think flash paper is wise to use in restaurants, but Koz's bill routine makes use of it. Do you destroy the bill in some other way, or do you think that flahs paper is acceptable for this particular routine? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:42 am 

I'm going to talk to Koz about that one. There are people that will panic if they see the flash of the paper. That effect is a reputation maker I have to figure a way without the flash paper.

Last edited by paddy on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:47 am 
born to perform.

The Restaurant Act with R. Paul Wilson is a great starting point.