View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Years Party
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:01 pm 
born to perform.

I made a deal with a bed and breakfast owner in which I will do magic at his b&b for customers.

I am 15, so he can't legally pay me, but he says we can work something out so that he can pay me not as a "wage" but just as a "favor for a friend" kind of thing.

So we decided that the first few times I will come in for experience, and work out a payment system later. For the time being, I am only coming in when they feel that I would be of use (special events).

Anyway, tonight there is a formal, and people will be milling around and eating from the buffet. So it is a formal party rather than just a restaurant dinner type setting.

So my question is how should I approach these people while they are just kind of standing around, socializing, snacking, etc?

I was thinking of just having a table set up and then doing magic there, and if the situation is right, I could just show the people magic as they mill around.

I talked to the owner of the b&b, and he said, "Well as far as the performance goes, we're just going to kind of have to 'pull it out of our butts' as they say..."

So he doesn't have any specific performance in mind.
So once again, how should I approach a person or people who are just kind of wandering around like they would at a typical casual party type event? Or should I stick with the table idea?

P.S. I have close-up magic for a table, and just for walk-around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:23 pm 

You are 15 yrs old. You sold a job doing what you know nothing about. Then instead of trying to learn what to do by watching a restaurant magician where you live, or even getting a good DVD on restaurant entertaining. You wait until 5 PM on the night of the job and write asking for help.

Have you ever considered getting a brain transplant. I have heard of people doing dumber things. Just can't remember when or where. This one almost sets a record for being the stupidest post of the year.

Well, now that you have burnt that place from ever using REAL magicians, maybe you'll get another hobby and go ruin someone else's business opportunities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You took the words right out of my mouth, Paddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:28 pm 

Interesting, after reviewing my previous post, I didn't realize just how much restraint I showed. You should read what I really thought about this thread.

cameronb, you can thank whatever god you believe in that I didn't tell you exactly what I thought about your question.

paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

Well, today is New Years day, and the magic last night went extremely well.
I made $62, and everyone was requesting me!
Hey paddy, I know you're probably pissed, but the whole thing was fine.
I know I "am not ready", but if everyone enjoyed the magic and the presentation enough to request me multiple times, then I don't see the problem.
I am going to pick up "Live at the Jailhouse" for knowledge on how to improve my presentation and the ins and outs of restaurant magic.
By the way, I know it wasn't good to ask for advice the night of the gig, but I only needed to know in case there would be people walking around (which there were not). Everyone was at a table for the most part, and they requested more magic (even while they were eating).
Also, I don't plan on doing this full time or anything like that. The owner says he would like to have me do magic at the special events there (not every week or so).

P.S. I won't thank any god, as I am an atheist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:27 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
cameronb wrote:
  1. I only needed to know in case there would be people walking around (which there were not).
  2. Everyone was at a table for the most part, and they requested more magic (even while they were eating).
  3. The owner says he would like to have me do magic at the special events there (not every week or so).
  4. P.S. I won't thank any god, as I am an atheist

5. I made $62, and everyone was requesting me!

1. Sounds like you weren't prepared, but got lucky.
  2. Sounds like the food nor the conversation was very good and they needed something to take their mind off of the boredom.
  3. Sound like you're set for life
  4. Sounds like you'll be spending eternity damned in edited
  5. Sounds like the spirit of giving, similar to donating to Toys for Tots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

Actually, there was a lot more going on at the party.

There were piano players and singers there who performed every 15 minutes, so I don't think anybody was bored.

I was prepared enough to know what I needed for the amount of time I was there, and it went well.

Also, this is not the first time I have done a performance.

I performed at an ALS walk, and also at a local coffee shop where there was a band playing (the band was called Harry and the Potters, so the shop owners decided to have me do magic there). I got a news spot, which is how the other people found me for their events.

Once again, I am sorry that I seem so unprepared, but it isn't as bad as it sounds. Besides, making mistakes is one of the first steps in learning to improve your performance and presentation.

And yes, I probably will be damned to edited for eternity, SmokingMonkey. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:10 pm 

cameronb wrote:
Quote:
Besides, making mistakes is one of the first steps in learning to improve your performance and presentation.
First, it is no one's business to judge your own beliefs regarding a deity or afterlife, so the monkey was out of line.

I can't believe that you said that!! Yes, making mistakes happens as we learn. However, we make the mistakes during PRACTICE!!! Then as we start to rehearse in front of family or other magicians at your local ring or assembly we make less and less mistakes. But we NEVER, NEVER, NEVER perform in front of laymen until the effects, patter, movements, and interaction with people is down perfect.

To practice when you are in a performance is the height of amateurism and childishness. If you said that at a ring meeting you would probably be asked to leave.

BTW the ring is a local of the IBM and an assembly is the local of SAM. To find out more about these organizations, don't ask me, that is what google is for, learn on your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:28 pm 
Penguin

I agree in part with Paddy.
I spend hours practicing a trick. I develop my patter, my presentation, my outs and lead ins to other effects. Where its fitting into my routine. How can I really make it mine.
I then show the routine, with the new effect added, to a few close people that will tell me EXACTLY what they think. They don't pull punches. They give constructive criticism.
But even after all that is done and the new effect is worked into my routine the last test is a live audience. I don't know exactly how the effect is going to play to real lay people.
Some tricks that I love to perform just get lost to lay people. And some very basic tricks just stun them. Some tricks I've learned are great for certain age and genders. Some are great for large groups some for smaller groups.
So my advice is practice, develop then bring it out live and take all that to shape and mold your routines.

Cheers
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:50 pm 
born to perform.

Well the thing is, the only mistake in performance I made was on a trick that I hadn't performed in a while, so yes, that was a terrible choice on my part.

And I do practice for hours whenever I can, so as to get my performance, patter, presentation, sleights, subtleties, etc. down cold to the point where I can do them without failure. (there are a few that I have had for years but still haven't performed because of a lack of perfection).

Luckily, the audience didn't notice the small flash, and I kept moving through the trick.

(By mistakes I meant making the mistake of not knowing how to approach wandering people.)

But it's like I said, I am going to pick up LIVE at the Jailhouse to get some insight. What other books/dvds are the best for learning about this field?

I will work on everything as much as possible before the next time I perform. This particular event, however, was on rather short notice when I was informed, and I knew that I could do it to the point where it was enjoyable (although not totaly perfect), so I took the chance.

Besides, I suggested that I only come in for experience, so the owner was not expecting a professional performance. The owner said it would be fine if I just got some real-world experience before seriously considering any kind of "job". But he said all of the customers he talked to enjoyed it, so he said we should do it again some time.

Well, next time I promise I will be ready, and I won't have any stupid last-minute questions to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:16 pm 

Well cameronb, it seems that your story changes every time you write about it. Looks like you don't need help any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:40 pm 
born to perform.

Well thanks for the replies. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
paddy wrote:
First, it is no one's business to judge your own beliefs regarding a deity or afterlife, so the monkey was out of line.

You make a good, valid point.

I just thought he wanted to have a religious discussion considering he mentioned that he was an atheist.

Of course, that was in response to an inappropriate remark that he "thank whatever god you believe in that I didn't tell you exactly what I thought about your question".

Now that I look at it in ths context, I realize that I was out of line. I shouldn't have responded to his comments replying to an out-of-line remark made by someone else.

I've realized my error and admit it. I just hope the person who started this is also man enough to see the error of his ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:14 pm 
born to perform.

If you mean starting the religious thing, then that would be paddy.

But if you mean the whole topic, then yes, I realize the error of my ways, and I appologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:10 am 
born to perform.

ALL OF YOU STOP!!!!! I have been having to say this too many times. What is the point in arguing over something this stupid. Why cant people realize that when a quewstion gets asked, they want and answer and not any of your opinions. I am not here to fight I am here to stop this and make everyone realize:

1. The gig is over and it went fine according to him.

2. Im sure you all have opinions but there is no point in fighting.

3. Next time, Im sure he will do more research before the event so LET IT GO!!!

Thanks! :D :wink: