View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:12 pm 
Penguin

jwilke wrote:
I dont have a restaurant job, but often times when Im at Boston Pizza (which is alot) I just go around and do tricks to people. Of course, Im not getting paid, and since im buying food its more like Im paying to do magic; however I find the art of it all really enjoyable. Most tricks that can be done street can be done in a restaurant, like a pen through bill trick - they are there buying their food, they will more than likely have a bill on them, along with coins. Also I find TT magic good because of how dark restaurants usually are, it makes it much less noticable that you are wearing one. So you could do a bill routine just out of that! Use a pen through bill trick, followed by making a bill dissapear. Then you could also make it seem like you dont know how to bring it back and start to walk away, just to through a bit of a comedy routine in there (dont acually walk away, be nice, give the bill back). Possibilities are endless.

Also, I find Scotch and Soda works anywhere.

Thats just a bit of advice. Practice making some new and original routines with what you have, and maybe order a couple things that look interesting. With $111.92 you cant go wrong!

Nice advice- The best nugget in there is to pratice all the time no matter where you are- for free at the beginning is the way to go- you will build confidence with every performance- Restaurant walk around can be a great living, but don't stop there and doing it once a week hardly qualifies as a professional who can give advice StreetWolf and if you are doing it once a week at one Restaurant then I guess that gives you the right to crap on people's dreams huh? NOT! He is not taking any money from your pocket and no manager I've ever worked for is going to hire some punk kid who aint ready- THEY JUST DON'T DO THAT! So shut up and let him get some advice from people who are not threatened by young enthusiastic performers.

And your picture is a little creepy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:50 pm 
Penguin

I said it before and i will say it again!

k now for some real tips basically a reastraunt magicians packs small I am talking no extra gimmicks. You need the bear assentials which means a lot of sleight of hand. get 3-5 powerfull 3 trick routines the reason I do three is because there is a beginning a middle and a powerful closer. the reason you need three different routines is because when you one routine for a table other tables tend to watch, then you need somthing different to do for them so they dont go throught the same routine 2 times. I prefer flashy tricks real eye catchers, dont just do cards it will get old fast. mabey 1 card trick, and a coin, and mentalism trick to top it off. if you dont have that much material then you can double up on the card tricks but make sure you throw in at least one thing different. sleight of hand is your friend because it cant break gimmicks tend to break or get lost, which can ruin your night if your routine relys on them. always bring at least one thing for the kiddys, TT, sponge balls, small magic coloring book. parents love it and everyones happy. pack some buisness cards because restraunt gigs will get you a lot of job offers. now since you dont have a case or table pocket space is esential, so make sure you pack light. here is what I bring!

-2 decks of cards(incase you loose a card, or the whole deck)
-2 sharpies(a lot of tricks rely on these and I use it as a makeshift wand)
-sponge balls, and mini sponges(for adults, and kiddys)
-6 half dollars a dime and 2 pennys(my coin routines)
-3 rubber bands(wear on wrist and I have a whole routine with em)
-pk ring
-small peice of rope, 1 foot long coiled in the breast pocket(closer)
-small pad of paper(for billit reading mentalism stuff)

Occasionally if I have a table to work of of I will pack:
-a chop cup
-some loops,
-pen through bill

any way key thing to remember is be nice not everyone wants to see a trick, pack light, and have your routines DOWN!

good luck hope that little guide helps

now for some personalization. money will not buy you a good routine most of the things that you listed will not be usable.

first because you wont have a table to work of i can pretty much prommise you that people will not be to happy with you putting all of your magic stuff on their table and i can pretty much prommiss you that all of those gimmicks will get mixed up and broken in your pockets, so that rules out most of your stuff. dont bring cups and balls and expect people to make room on there table for you and dont expect to drag one around with you all night. thats key.

also dont pack your pockets with cheap gimmicks beleive me it will be your biggest mistake, pack light and with almost all sleights, that means a lotta cards, and a lotta coins, and or mentalism. if you cant do that then learn to before you start. 3-3 trick routines. thats 9 tricks total if you dont already have 9 tricks that you can make flow smoothly then you are not ready.

GOOD LUCK MAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:25 pm 
Penguin

can anyone hear me? This is the first time I have ever posted a message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:24 am 
born to perform.

no, but we can see your waste of a message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:43 am 
born to perform.

edrezin wrote:
jwilke wrote:
I dont have a restaurant job, but often times when Im at Boston Pizza (which is alot) I just go around and do tricks to people. Of course, Im not getting paid, and since im buying food its more like Im paying to do magic; however I find the art of it all really enjoyable. Most tricks that can be done street can be done in a restaurant, like a pen through bill trick - they are there buying their food, they will more than likely have a bill on them, along with coins. Also I find TT magic good because of how dark restaurants usually are, it makes it much less noticable that you are wearing one. So you could do a bill routine just out of that! Use a pen through bill trick, followed by making a bill dissapear. Then you could also make it seem like you dont know how to bring it back and start to walk away, just to through a bit of a comedy routine in there (dont acually walk away, be nice, give the bill back). Possibilities are endless.

Thats just a bit of advice. Practice making some new and original routines with what you have, and maybe order a couple things that look interesting. With $111.92 you cant go wrong!

Nice advice- The best nugget in there is to pratice all the time no matter where you are- for free at the beginning is the way to go- you will build confidence with every performance- Restaurant walk around can be a great living, but don't stop there and doing it once a week hardly qualifies as a professional who can give advice StreetWolf and if you are doing it once a week at one Restaurant then I guess that gives you the right to crap on people's dreams huh? NOT! He is not taking any money from your pocket and no manager I've ever worked for is going to hire some punk kid who aint ready- THEY JUST DON'T DO THAT! So shut up and let him get some advice from people who are not threatened by young enthusiastic performers.

Just to clear it up the picture is not me, it is a picture of Rupert from Survivor All Stars. I'm not "threatened" by a young enthusiastic performer. Quite frankly, I'm not much older than him. I said I perform once a week at a specific restaurant - that does NOT mean I only perform once a week at only one restaurant. If you have read my posts in the past on this forum, you would see that I got a job at a restaurant/theater which pays very well. I have no problem with him wanting to practice and learn but he can't expect people like myself to say nothing in this situation. Penguin is full of 13 year olds and to come on and say "which trick is good" and have absolutely god awful grammar...it's just terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:46 pm 
Penguin

Streetwolf wrote:
edrezin wrote:
jwilke wrote:

Just to clear it up the picture is not me, it is a picture of Rupert from Survivor All Stars. I'm not "threatened" by a young enthusiastic performer. Quite frankly, I'm not much older than him. I said I perform once a week at a specific restaurant - that does NOT mean I only perform once a week at only one restaurant. If you have read my posts in the past on this forum, you would see that I got a job at a restaurant/theater which pays very well. I have no problem with him wanting to practice and learn but he can't expect people like myself to say nothing in this situation. Penguin is full of 13 year olds and to come on and say "which trick is good" and have absolutely god awful grammar...it's just terrible.

And your point was what? Oh yeah, that's not your picture. Great, thanks for your input. People like myself, think people like yourself, need to remember where they came from. Or did you come out of the womb with a magic wand in one hand and a deck of cards in the other? Check out some of the posts after yours that can actually help someone. If you take the time to write someone a reply- use it wisely. NO one is impressed by a guy who thinks he knows it all and acts like a rude jerk. Enough said I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

That was useful.

I'm sorry your reply didn't make much sense. Something about being born with a deck of cards? I don't understand. I never said I knew it all. But for a beginner it would be wise to heed the advice of a seasoned performer who is in the business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:27 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
thegenius3232 wrote:
First of all I think card wallets are a waste of money when you can use the deck pack it came in.

This comment shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

There is no possible way that you can put a deck of cards into a card wallet. Card wallets are for packet tricks.

Not knowing this vital piece of information has shown that you are not ready to begin working in a restaurant. Correction, working in a restaurant as a magician. The dishwasher position will be OK if the illegal alien being exploited for less than minimum wage ever quits. Just be careful handling the sharp knives.

furthermore, card wallets are water-resistant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

There are so many good restaurant magic tricks. Some of my favorite to preform are metal bending and 3 ring circus. I also do lots of card effects.
Thanks

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:39 pm 
born to perform.

SmokingMonkey wrote:
This comment shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

There is no possible way that you can put a deck of cards into a card wallet. Card wallets are for packet tricks.

Not knowing this vital piece of information has shown that you are not ready to begin working in a restaurant. Correction, working in a restaurant as a magician. The dishwasher position will be OK if the illegal alien being exploited for less than minimum wage ever quits. Just be careful handling the sharp knives.

furthermore, card wallets are water-resistant.

wow this kid is dumb....(no effence) but first of all not knowing what a card wallet is not a vital piece in restaurant magic... IT holds freakin deck of cards/tricks when you could use the box then waste all your money or your wallet.....and even if its used for your business cards then just use a deck of cards box for it so it looks "magicical..

btw no effence but you need to lay off the "card wallets" everytime I see your post its something about "card wallets"

sorry for being so harsh but please dont post if your not going to give me info about restauarnt MAGIC TRICKS!!!! not what to use for supplies...

thanks

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:50 pm 
born to perform.

Did you not read smokingmonkey's location? He is president of the cannot define as to whether being sarcastic, serious, or joking club. You never know when he is serious or not. Or sarcastic. Or joking for the matter. That's why he is president. Any first grader knows that!

A card wallet holds a small group of gaff cards known as "packet tricks". It won't hold a deck of cards, that's called a "card box". This is the cardboard box a deck of cards comes in when you purchase one. If you want something else to hold a deck of cards, find and MP3 player case.

And if I ever pee in my pants while using a card wallet, it wont harm the cards because THEY ARE WATER RESISTENT :D :D :D !

As for restaurant magic, cards, coins, money, sponge balls, and silks are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 pm 
born to perform.

ah i see....well looks like im in the wrong lol

sorry smoking monkey!

=p I guess i need one of those card wallets lol

ima go buy some XD

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 pm 
Penguin

Streetwolf wrote:
That was useful.

I'm sorry your reply didn't make much sense. Something about being born with a deck of cards? I don't understand. I never said I knew it all. But for a beginner it would be wise to heed the advice of a seasoned performer who is in the business.

Then give advice, not abuse. What town do you perform in? I travel alot and would love to come see your act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:49 am 
born to perform.

edrezin wrote:
Streetwolf wrote:
That was useful.

Then give advice, not abuse. What town do you perform in? I travel alot and would love to come see your act.

I perform at the Cornerstone Cafe in New Jersey. My next performance due to my schedule maybe at the Ramapo College of New Jersey which would be in February.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:59 am 
Emperor Penguin

If you can't take the advice that Streetwolf gave without whining about it, and stating how rude it is, you shouldn't do resturaunt magic. I mean if you can't take what he says, you won't be able to handle real life spectators critcizing you, or rejecting you. If you can't take a little criticism, then you won't be able to take working at a resturaunt.