View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to wear
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:27 pm 
Penguin

I was just wondering what you guys think is the most suitable clothing for performing at resturants. Do you guys wear full blown suits, or jeans and a t-shirt? I recently talked to a magician who told me that it is best to dress your best when you are performing. However, he was old. Maybe, things are different now. Anyways, I just want to know what you guys wear when you perform at resturants.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 pm 
born to perform.

Well it depends on the restaurant itself. Lets say you got a job at Outback on a saturday night around 9ish. I would say dress in a sport coat (black) and blue jeans, with either a white t-shirt or button down shirt thats white.

If the Restaurant is High scale then dress in a tux (black slakes,coat,button down shirt)

If the Restaurant is middle class then dress like I told you above with the "Outback".

If the Restaurant is lower class then dress in blue jeans and a t-shirt.

Good luck!!

MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:44 pm 
Penguin

i wear whatever i feel like which is always a black sweatshirt black shirt dar blu jeans i preformed saw at this one place and people loved it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

i think hes talking about working pro at a restaurant. Not eating and annoying customers.

I always wear a suit but thats just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:12 pm 
Penguin

I wear a pin-stripe suit with a long sleeve silk shirt, vest and tie (what kind depends on the mood).

I always take the jacket top off when I enter the resturant and roll my sleeves up, giving me a classical magic look while still remaining comfortable and approachable.

This attire works great for middle - upperclass resturants... but also for lower class since with the jacket off and sleeves up, you look like a casual performer and not some jerk in a tux.

Haven't performed for really high class places yet, but I assume I would go the whole 9 yards, tux and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:05 pm 
born to perform.

I always wear a black button down shirt with a tie that has cards on it and black dockers with black dress shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 pm 
Penguin

It all comes down to one thing- IMAGE- what do you want your image to be? People judge you first on what they see- if you are wearing a crazy wild outfit- they don't take you that serious (can be good - if that's your image) If you are wearing ALL Black and a weird cross symbol around your neck they may take you VERY serious (can be good, if you want to portray that too!) Somewhere in the middle is your image- don't be afraid to look your part- remember after all- its SHOW BUSINESS! Pick something to wear that reflects what you want people to think of you. If all that is just too complicated- just ask your mom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

There's no definite answer, as it depends on where you are. A rule of thumb though, dress one step better then everyone else. You want people to know that you're different, but you don't want to be so dressed up that you seem out of place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:02 pm 
Penguin

i generally dressy farely fancy anywhere i go with a nice coat and butten up shirt and a boler hat(very old school for a 13 year old). people at reasturants seam to be impressed with this sort of formal dress at even a place like applebees. by the way dont do walk arounds at an applebees the staff there hate it and shoo you away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
10 cm stilleto high-heel boots, leather G-string, and two card wallets to cover my nipples.

I leave the boa at home because people in restaurants like to tease it and pretend they're going to eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:33 pm 
born to perform.

SmokingMonkey wrote:
10 cm stilleto high-heel boots, leather G-string, and two card wallets to cover my nipples.

I leave the boa at home because people in restaurants like to tease it and pretend they're going to eat it.

That's the second time you've posted that on an attire thread! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:19 pm 

kraynik wrote:
SmokingMonkey wrote:

That's the second time you've posted that on an attire thread! :lol:

Yes, it is his way of saying that this is an incredibly stupid question that has been asked so often it's ridiculous. All someone has to do is search and they will find the answers to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:52 pm 
Penguin

Paddy, how come you are always ticked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:20 pm 

pistanto wrote:
Paddy, how come you are always ticked?

I'm not. However, when people are too lazy to use proper English, or to use the search function others generally will tell them about it. In this case the Monkey told you by his comments. When someone asked about his comments I just explained why he made them. I am not ticked, Monkey was. I just explained it for him.

You aren't the only one who does that, just look through this whole forum and you will see question asked by people that have never seen a restaurant magician work. They want to be one but have no idea of what a restaurant magician does. All the see is the performing, they don't see the work behind the scenes. The taxes, the paperwork to keep abreast of government regulations, the insurance you must have, the upkeep on clothes, props, etc. Ask questions like you have a basic knowledge of the business, like you spent some small amount of time tryinhg to find out for yourself before asking others.