View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:19 am 

In my experience I have only had 2 servers get upset by my tips. Both were pretty bad servers and had a lot of complaints about their lack of attention to the customers so they used me as a scapegoat for their lack of tips.

BTW NEVER, EVER, under any conditions tell a server how much you make in tips. They will ask. I always tell them "I don't know, I don't count tips until I get home." Also if there is a large bill in your tip jar tell the servers that you planted it there. I get a $20 bill almost every Fri and Sat night in my tip jar and I just say "I started the night by planting that in there," that way they don't get jelous that I got a $20 tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:24 am 
born to perform.

Paddy,

I understand that you work several nights at various restaurants. Are your performances stationary, or do they involve strolling as well? It seems that a stationary performance would be able to draw in more tips. Do you find that to be the case?

I think in a strolling situation, there are probably some pros and cons of wearing a "Tips" button or sign.

I've been to a Mexican restaurant where there was this mariachi band who would go from table to table. This was also a restaurant that I was performing magic in. A mariachi band and a magician do not mix well in a restaurant at the same time. Anyway, the 3 piece band going from table to table had this big old sign on the guitar that simply said "TIPS". I found this to be a bit like begging. I also think this makes some patrons a bit uncomfortable because they feel obligated to tip someone that they may have not even enjoyed. However, with magic, if your spectator is the kind of person that just does not enjoy this sort of thing, then I feel a good magician should know when to cut their performance short and wish them a good night.
Of course this is just my opinion. On the other hand, though sometimes I see the "Tips" thing as begging, I think it can also kill the question on the spectator's minds..."Are supposed to tip?" or "Is it ok if we tip?". Certainly the sign has the potential to bring in more tips, some out of obligation and others just putting the idea into the spectator's head. I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with and if you're satisfied with what the restaurant is paying you.

A tip jar at a stationary performance, at least in my opinion, seems less like begging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:04 am 
Penguin

Take the $$$$....I do say "Thank you, But that's not necessary".

But I also have a button which says "Tipping Is Not A City In China"

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:58 pm 
born to perform.

Get live at the jailhouse if you are thinking of doing restaurant magic they cover all most everything about restaurant magic.

I do and do not take tips normaly I would say "no no its alright" but they give me a tip anyways and I thank them.

Most people will try and give you a tip because they are nice and all and you did a good job.

Just be polight and say no thanks, but if they give you the tip then take it.
Remember you are there for the restaurant and for the people to come in.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:11 pm 

Genius, I just went to your site. Can I make a couple of observations? The fist one is your home page, it states "Hello My name is Taylor a.k.a MagicTay and I'm a magician working at T.G.I Fridays."

Then I go to your calendar and it is blank for the month except the 31st when you have a "magic party." Makes me wonder if you really do work at T.G.I. Fridays since they don't show up on the calendar.

Then I go to your contact page. You say call me to find out about parties. Where is your phone number. I know you have as your first line on this page " I will not put my cell on website for safty (sic) reasons but email me if you want it so you can contact me." Sorry that is the dumbest thing I have heard in the past 5 years. No one can trace your address through a cell phone number. When people see this the first thing they do is find someone who knows what he is doing.

Also I see NO PICTURES. Remember that pictures sell the show. People see words and say "oh, nice." They see pictures and say "WOW!!" A little different effect.

Your page should be done by a web designer it will improve your success rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:22 pm 
born to perform.

lol i cant belive you found it lol. I'm still working on it. And I understand what you mean about the cell #, and i'll fix that. But with the pics i kinda dont have a camera lol but im getting one this week because I was thinking of getting one. But thanks for the obvius. =D

Im glad people can see it now =D

here the website : www.magictay.bravehost.com

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:28 am 
born to perform.

Genius, you're really starting to confuse me. You came on these boards saying you wanted a job, you were then convinced you weren't ready. You told me you are THINKING about working at TGI Fridays next year, but you say you work there now? And don't say you take/don't take tips, or anything like that, because according to you, you haven't even even done a gig, let alone for money.

I think there are some glaring errors in all of these stories... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:31 pm 
born to perform.

fatal,

I am thinking of working at TGI fridays, so I put "im thinking of working at TGI fridays" on my website. And the tips thing, thats coming from Live at the jailhouse.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 pm 

Taylor, I am not ripping you a new one, however you MUST check what you write. Remember people judge you by what you write if they can not see you. Here is a part of your site and a suggestion.

Quote:
My name is Taylor, MagicTay and I am a Magician that lives in Houston. I've became into magic when I was 8 or 9 years old and loved it. I started performing for my family and friends at school. I always want to go see David Copperfield when I was younger but never did. Now I perform Magic for people and hopping later in the furture to live in Las Vegas and perform for you all. Please come vist me either at the two Restaurants in the next few months. I'll let you all know when I get hired from either the two place's and I hope you all come vist me!

OK, let's take it serialatum.
1. "I learned magic" or "I came into magic" Not "I became magic.
2. When did it happen? Were you 8 or were you 9?
3. Use the past tense of want. "I always wanted to see" "go is redundant.
4. Are you a rabbit that hops all over? Or are you hoping as in "to hope for."
5. Don't know what a "furture" is. Try FUTURE
6. Screwed up order of words. Try "come visit me at either" Not the "vist me either at."
7. "From either the 2..." Not a bit of sense to that phrase. Try "...Get hired by either 1 or both of these restaurants."

Also I wouldn't even mention them. If you don't have the gig, it's all a day dream. If you don't get hired by either one then it looks like you made that up and it was never true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:55 am 

paddy wrote:
OK, let's take it serialatum.

Just FYI, I believe you are thinking of "seriatim".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:06 am 
born to perform.

O.K people 1 thing thanks for helping me out with my website but I am still working on it. I havn't completely finished it yet. I am not fully done with it so please bare with me.

But thanks for helping me out!

-MagicTay

P.S Please do not make any observations and post them here or anywhere, I'll be working more on my website.

Thanks you though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:48 am 

Yep Balducci, you're right. I was just exhausted when I wrote and ignored my spell checker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:27 am 

You can't be too hard on Paddy. My spell checker changed it to "scrotum"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:00 pm 
born to perform.

thegenius3232 wrote:
O.K people 1 thing thanks for helping me out with my website but I am still working on it. I havn't completely finished it yet. I am not fully done with it so please bare with me.

You should really FINISH your site BEFORE you publish it on the web OR advertise it. I'm not even going to look at it. I'll wait until it's done. Let us know when you finish it. :roll: