View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: need a little help before i start
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:20 pm 
Penguin

i turn 15 in 2 months and im going to be getting my first job which will be a restaraunt that i can walk to. But its a fast food place so i wont be performing magic. ill be jsut getting used to waht its like working in a restaraunt. when i turn 16 and get my car i will start working in a restraunt as a waitor and i want a few tricks to perform at tables for tips.
can you please give me some suggestions on what to use please note i will be waiting so i would only have time to perform a short routine about 3 or 4 minutes tops and i have to be able to carry it in my pocket so cups and balls are out of the question but i do have sponge balls which i might use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

My suggestion is don't. In my opinion, it's not a good idea, as you're trying to mix too jobs together. Which then means you will probably be expected to keep doing magic, that, or you will be fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 am 
Penguin

hmm idk ill try it, but ill try it only when theres not alot of customers like you know when you are waitng tables and you go to ask if they need anything? maybe i could say do you want to see a quick trick or something and maybe just do one quick card trick, or 5 and 1, or the raven
just something small but with great reactions does that sound better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
My suggestion is don't.

Encouraging.

Waiter/magician sounds like it would be worth a try, actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:47 pm 
Emperor Penguin

first you need to do some research. Look into all the books and dvds that have been 'offered' to you. They explain alot of what to do and such.

Then when and if you get the job, you will need to clear the magic with the boss.

You keep making all these topics, but have you bought any of the books/dvds recommended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

AtticusFinch wrote:
fallingblood wrote:
My suggestion is don't.

Encouraging.

Waiter/magician sounds like it would be worth a try, actually.
You're very good at taking things out of context. Next time, read my whole post before you post something stupid. I gave him my professional opinion. And it's not only my opinion, it's also the opinion of many other resturaunt magicians. I've done my research on the subject. You clearly haven't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:37 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
You're very good at taking things out of context. Next time, read my whole post before you post something stupid. I gave him my professional opinion. And it's not only my opinion, it's also the opinion of many other resturaunt magicians. I've done my research on the subject. You clearly haven't.

Still, you wouldn't make a very good motivational speaker.

Managing two jobs at once probably would be difficult, I'm sure, but he might be good at that. "My suggestion is don't" isn't very open, I should say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:52 pm 
Emperor Penguin

AtticusFinch wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

Still, you wouldn't make a very good motivational speaker.

Managing two jobs at once probably would be difficult, I'm sure, but he might be good at that. "My suggestion is don't" isn't very open, I should say.
I'm not trying to be a motivational speaker. I'm being honest. I'm not giong to fill a young kid's head with fantasy and lies. I'm going to tell him how it is. And the fact is, working as magician, and also a waiter is not a good idea. You're doing two jobs, and being paid for one. You are then expected to keep up with the magic. And if he does go to drop the waiter job, and just work as a magician (if it's at the same place) he won't be making the money that he could. It may seem like a good idea in the beginning, but in the end, it can screw him over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:09 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
I'm not trying to be a motivational speaker. I'm being honest. I'm not giong to fill a young kid's head with fantasy and lies. I'm going to tell him how it is. And the fact is, working as magician, and also a waiter is not a good idea. You're doing two jobs, and being paid for one. You are then expected to keep up with the magic. And if he does go to drop the waiter job, and just work as a magician (if it's at the same place) he won't be making the money that he could. It may seem like a good idea in the beginning, but in the end, it can screw him over.

Fine. Fair advice. But dsingle wants to do it on the side for tips; and if you want to, and can do that, then that is also fair enough.

Magicians don't encourage each other enough. That's all I'm getting at.

And fantasy isn't necessarily a bad thing, when combined with ambition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, atticus and dsingle have prolly never worked(just actually worked, not done magic) in an actual restaurant before so they wouldn't know how hectic everything is when you're a waiter and you're trying to get to all of your tables at once. If you become a waiter and want to do magic as well, then you will most likely slow down the overall service of the restaurant. I work as a host at Bob Evans and I help out the servers every once in a while and I know that they do not have time most of teh time to stop and talk for too long b/c of other tables that need their attention.
Second of all, how do you know that you will for sure get this job? If you do then you'll have to approve it with your manager b/c of the possibility of slower service. And lastly, if you want more tips instead of doing magic for them just use your personality and jokes to get them laughing. If you don't have a personality and aren't good w/ people, you shouldn't be a magician or a server. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:04 pm 
Penguin

i said that if it was a slow day and when your a waitor and go up and ask how they are doing and just show them something like the raven its quick and powerful and would only take like a minute at most to perform and if you look into my threads i have most of these books people have reccomended im saving up for on the spot right now so i can learn recap revisited and the linking rings with keys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

Look at it this way, you are eating your meal, and a waitor comes up to you and asks how you are doing. Then out of the blue, he does a magic trick, interrupting your meal.
If you do this, it is a good way for your tip rate to go down instead of up. That is if you even keep the job long enough. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just stating what will happen if you do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

dsingle wrote:
I said that if it was a slow day and when your a waitor and go up and ask how they are doing and just show them something like the raven its quick and powerful and would only take like a minute at most to perform and if you look into my threads I have most of these books people have reccomended im saving up for on the spot right now so I can learn recap revisited and the linking rings with keys
Do you have Kirk Charles guide on resturaunt magic? How about Live at the Jailhouse? If not, get them, they will give you a great insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It really doesnt matter until you get the job and get permission to do magic. You havent gotten it yet- you dont even have the main job yet, but you keep acting like you have both.

If you get those dvds and have plenty of books, then there shouldnt be much left to cover -they cover what to perform and much more; yet your asking questions like you have no idea what your doing and/or havent read a thing.

*banging my head against a brick wall*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:42 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
I did magic all the time when I was a waiter. There's nothing wrong with showing an exciting effect at the right time. This works especially well when children are present. Also, something quick with a dollar or napkin or coins works quite well.

Back when I was a waiter, there were smoking sections in the restaurants and I would always have a pack of cigarettes just for doing magic for the smokers. On days I thought I could get away with it, I would deliver the food and put a cigarette under the plate without them knowing. Usually, I only did this to repeat customers who would ask me if I had any new tricks. Then, I would do a small routine with a borrowed cigarette and them make it disapper. Lo and behold, I would make it reappear under their plate. It was pure magic.

Performing magic is just a method to make a good impression and increase the pleasure of their dining experience.

Just remember that your job is to wait on the people, not to show them magic. Your tips still depend on your service.