View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How long should you spend at each table?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:09 pm 
Penguin

I searched the forums and didn't find an answer. When you are table hopping, what is the ideal amount of time you should spend at each table before moving on to the next? Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
born to perform.

I do about 4-10 mins

Get resturant guild magic dvd it helps 110%!

and there are some thingys that could make it shorter than 4-10mins but you'll got to find out from the dvd :)

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:30 pm 
Emperor Penguin

There is no set time. There are many factors that come into play. How busy is the resturaunt? What type of resturaunt? Are the cooks having problems that is making the food take longer? Is the food coming? Are the people happy with you? Do they even want to see the magic? Are the people becoming restless? Etc.

If you want to get resturaunt magic, buy Live at the Jailhouse and Kirk Charles guide on resturaunt magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:28 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
There is no set time. There are many factors that come into play. How busy is the resturaunt? What type of resturaunt? Are the cooks having problems that is making the food take longer? Is the food coming? Are the people happy with you? Do they even want to see the magic? Are the people becoming restless? Etc.

If you want to get resturaunt magic, buy Live at the Jailhouse and Kirk Charles guide on resturaunt magic.

I have a walkaround show coming up in a week. It's a father daughter dance for elementary children and I am supposed to be going around to different tables. I'm not experienced with table hopping so I wasn't sure how long to stay at each table. I do not want to stay for too short a time, and I also do not want to detract their time from the dance. Sorry I didn't share this information before. I have a set routine that I've been working on that runs for 5-6 min. Do you think this is an appropriate amount of time (assuming they want to see magic)? Thank you so much for all your help!

P.S. I was thinking about buying Live at the Jailhouse. The only thing that was stopping me was the 80.00 price tag. If you have it, do you think it's worth the whole 80 dollars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

thegenius3232 wrote:
I do about 4-10 mins

I thought you didn't do restaurant magic ;)

And as others have said, it varies. If it's a slow night, you might spend more. If it's a special person, you may want to give them a bit longer. If it's a birthday table, might want to do something special.

It also depends what kind of restaurant and atmosphere you'll be working in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 pm 

nick326 wrote:
P.S. I was thinking about buying Live at the Jailhouse. The only thing that was stopping me was the 80.00 price tag. If you have it, do you think it's worth the whole 80 dollars?

It is worth several hundred dollars. Anything Kozmo puts out is worth the money. Now my query to you. Have you done walk around magic before? If so, there is no difference between table hopping and walk around.

You say you have a set routine that runs 5 minutes. You better have more than one routine. Going table to table what you do is bit A at table 1, bit B at table 2, Bit C at table 3 then Bit B at another table across the room, etc. You don't do the same effects at every table because they are to close together so one person can not see the same effect 3 or 4 times and figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:41 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
nick326 wrote:

It is worth several hundred dollars. Anything Kozmo puts out is worth the money. Now my query to you. Have you done walk around magic before? If so, there is no difference between table hopping and walk around.

You say you have a set routine that runs 5 minutes. You better have more than one routine. Going table to table what you do is bit A at table 1, bit B at table 2, Bit C at table 3 then Bit B at another table across the room, etc. You don't do the same effects at every table because they are to close together so one person can not see the same effect 3 or 4 times and figure it out.

I've done close-up shows before, and I've done stage shows before; however, this is going to be my first time doing walkaround/table hopping magic (just to clarrify).

And yes, I actually have two routines that are both 5 min. long. I was planning on doing routine A at Table 1, routine B at Table 2, routine A at Table 3, etc. etc. The only problem with this is that I do not know how far apart the tables will be set up. Do you think I should add a 3rd routine to be safe? Like I said before the show is in exactly 1 week. I have enough material for a 3rd routine, but I don't know if 1 week is enough time to master a 3rd routine. I don't want to take on more than I can handle, but I also want to have enough material to work with. Do you think I will be all set with just two different routines? Thanks for all your help guys! Your advice is helping tremendously!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:07 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
It depends....

You need to time your performance correctly. You don't want to be at a table right when the guests sit down and you don't want to be there when drinks arrive. It interrupts the flow of the restaurants business. You should arrive after the wait staff has taken the food orders.

Then you should do between 2-3 effects that last no more than 4-7 minutes. If the food hasn't arrived by your third effect, you can ask if they'd like to see another, but always keep your eyes open, and vanish when the food arrives.

If they invite you to stay while they're eating, I'd decline. They should be focused on enjoying their meal. You can offer to come back during dessert.

Remember, at a restaurant, the goal is to turn tables, make money, and satidfy customers so they'll return and say good things about the place. You will either add to that, or subtract from that. Your mission is to add. Good for you, good for guest, good for business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:45 am 

nick326 wrote
Quote:
And yes, I actually have two routines that are both 5 min. long. I was planning on doing routine A at Table 1, routine B at Table 2, routine A at Table 3, etc. etc. The only problem with this is that I do not know how far apart the tables will be set up. Do you think I should add a 3rd routine to be safe? Like I said before the show is in exactly 1 week. I have enough material for a 3rd routine, but I don't know if 1 week is enough time to master a 3rd routine. I don't want to take on more than I can handle, but I also want to have enough material to work with. Do you think I will be all set with just two different routines? Thanks for all your help guys! Your advice is helping tremendously!

One thing to do is modulize (not a word but close enough) everything. Say routine A is made up of effect 1, 2, and 3 Routine B consists of effects 4, 5, 6 ,and 7. So at table C do effects 7, 2, and 4. Hope you get what I am saying here. Good Luck, don't worry just treat this as you would any walk around gig.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:19 am 
Penguin

Thanks guys! You've answered all my questions! I can't thank you enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:09 pm 
born to perform.

Hey one question I want to ask you experienced guys, I just don't want to make a whole other topic for this, what do you guys do with regulars? Like I host at a Bob Evans and there are quite a few regulars that come in and know the employees pretty well. What do you guys do for regulars that come in all the time, do you keep showing them new material, maybe sit down and talk with them, show them one or two effects, what do you do with them? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:45 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Good question. One of two things generally happens: 1) They remember you, but because you see so many people, you don't remember them, or 2) You do remember them.

1) Ask them when and where they saw you, was it here? If so, did you enjoy, and may I perform again for you? Ask them what you showed them. If you were good, they'll remember. Then say you have something new you'd like to show them. When finished, remind them to mention you to the management, and to come again, and you'll show them something else the next time.

2) If you remember them, because they show up often, you may become friendly with them. Make small talk, weather and such, and show them any new effect. Ask their opinions of it. Don't be afraid to show them something they may have seen weeks ago, because if you're confident, you should be able to pull it off differently.

Either way, regulars should not be put off. The management wants repeat customers, as do you. When they're on your side, you'll keep working. As soon as the regulars get angry or bored with you, they'll say something to management, and the management will be more likely to lose you than a paying customer.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:49 pm 

I hate to say it this way but I use regulars as my test audience. If I am working on something new I'll often just tell them "Let me try this new effect out, tell me how I can improve it." They LOVE that you're asking them for input about your magic. You are making them an "insider" and they will tell you honestly how the feel about the new effect.

I was working on one of the bits from Fiber Optics one day and tried it on one of my regular families. I thought I had it down perfect until one of the parents said "I saw the move," and told me how I flashed. It helped me out a lot. I had done it so often in front of a mirror and my wife missed the flash when I did it for her but they told me so I changed my technique and improved my show.

Remember your regulars want to be friends with an entertainer so don't be afraid to be friendly with them and try out new things with their help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:26 pm 
Penguin

I too use my regulars as a test audience. When they bring friends or business company to the brunch, they usually call me over and tell me about their company, then mention some specific trick they have been bragging about. So, I usually do that, and then one or two others that I am working on asking their opinion. This is especially helpful with DHV (designation of higher value) spikes with business associates. Then just a minute or two of small talk and I am off to another table. As soon as I get to the closest table to them, I do something with a great reaction, such as a sponge ball routine. Again, this pumps up my value, and in return the clients value. This is much the way I play my version of "The Game" when I head out with friends or solo bar flying.
But this really goes beyond what can be discuessed easily in a forum.

Back on topic.
So, plan 3-4 effects, figure a way to string them together no more than 6 minutes. This is one set. I suggest having 3-4 sets ready, all instant resets. Then have 3 tricks you are working on and ready to show, but only for those special customers.
Now that you have your routines ready, you are rehersed, you show up at the gig, now ask what they expect of you by way of time spent on a table. During this conversation mention that if they have a table that is taking a long time to get their food or what not, or if they are a birthday annaversary party, to let you know so you can do something speical. This way the customer noticest the time waiting for food less, and the parties remember you and the establishmentt more.
I end almost every set wtih a bill switch and one trick. After the bill switch, I put the bill on the table, do my final routine and walk off. I almost always get the bill as a tip this way. Where as if you do a borrowed bill routine before you are ready to go, they will put the bill away, if you do it as the last effect, you become a try hard. This way before they have a chance to put the bill away, you are doing another trick after all, you will be ready to leave and the bill will still be out. Shake the hands of theose right around you, thank them for a great time, and usually when they go to put the bill away, you are about to leave and it will usually occur to them to tip you, and look they have a bill there already to do it with...
On that note, I am thinking of finding the old tapes my grandfather started on his experiences on magic and considering finishing up his work.

Post subject: Re: How long should you spend at each table?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:25 pm 

nick326 wrote:
I searched the forums and didn't find an answer. When you are table hopping, what is the ideal amount of time you should spend at each table before moving on to the next? Thanks in advance!

OK, let's get back to the original question and questioner. Nick326, there is really only one reason to ask this question, and that is you have never observed a working magus at a restaurant. So I am going to ask you a question that must be answered. Why do you want to be a restaurant magician? Because it sounds like fun? I see so many kids that think "magic is fun and easy so I can make money doing it and not have to work like my parents, I'll have a fun job. Well you're wrong if thet's why you want to be involved in the restaurant business. Go talk to one of us that makes his living working restaurants and spend a couple of days with us.