View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Performing Insurance?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:41 pm 
born to perform.

If you're doing restaraunt magic do you need some type of insurance or something like that to be legally safe? Can you just go out and be hired by a restaurant? I think I'm good with my magic and all that type of thing to where I can do it if I decide to this summer, but I just didn't want to not have something that I would need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Talk to the owenrs, many will require it. Most will require liability insurance, i woul be surprised other wise.
Even if they dont require you to, its still a nice thing to have.

I have liability insurance for when i worked the malls, an still have it for my escapes.

if your a member of IBM, you can get some through them.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:45 pm 
born to perform.

lol this is a stupid question but what are those?

sorry for the stupid question :?

-MagicTay

Post subject: Re: Performing Insurance?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:28 am 
born to perform.

thecooltonto wrote:
If you're doing restaraunt magic do you need some type of insurance or something like that to be legally safe? Can you just go out and be hired by a restaurant? I think I'm good with my magic and all that type of thing to where I can do it if I decide to this summer, but I just didn't want to not have something that I would need.

If you use fire, live animals, chemicals, etc. there is a possability the restaurant s will want you to have insurance.

If you do escapes, stage magic with fire, or anything with sharp and/or heavy object in close proximity to other people you should get some to be on the safe side.

Post subject: Re: Performing Insurance?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:51 am 

thecooltonto wrote:

The I.B.M. and S.A.M. both offer liability insurance for around (US)$120 a year. Also Al Fellerman's agency Clowns of the U.S. has performers liability. Talk to Stefanie there.

A word about the effects you use. These policies all EXCLUDE fire effects, except flash paper. Live animals are not allowed in restaurants except guide dogs.

As part of my promo material I have copies of my insurance cover sheet. Then when a restaurant uses me I give them a copy for their files. If you do not have liability and anything happens. YOU PAY. In this day when people will sue for the stupidest things just to defend yourself without insurance will run several thousand dollars for an attorny. With insurance it costs you nothing but the premium you paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:48 am 
born to perform.

Well I know I wouldn't be using animals in a restaraunt, and I don't know much magic involving animals anyway. And I doubt I would be using fire or anything sharp either. I think I will look into the liability stuff though because if its a little over a hundred a year thats not too bad. Thanks for the help.