View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions about getting started.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:15 am 
Penguin

What are good restaurants to ask? How many days a week should I perform? How long should I perform in one day (hours)? How many tricks per table? Is the 2-Cups routine REALLY good for a restaurant? Anyone have a good routine? Should I do balloon animals as well as magic? Do I bring a small close-up mat? What are good tricks to demo to the person that will give me a job? Do I give out my business card?

-------- So yeah, there are some questions that I have for getting started to do restaurant magic. I perform at kid's parties and cocktail parties a lot and I am looking to get a little extra $$$!!!! ( who isn't? ) I would be VERY greatful if someone could answer some of these questions.

Thank you,
~ Chris

Post subject: Re: Questions about getting started.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 pm 
born to perform.

guitarguy89 wrote:
What are good restaurants to ask? How many days a week should I perform? How long should I perform in one day (hours)? How many tricks per table? Is the 2-Cups routine REALLY good for a restaurant? Anyone have a good routine? Should I do balloon animals as well as magic? Do I bring a small close-up mat? What are good tricks to demo to the person that will give me a job? Do I give out my business card?

-------- So yeah, there are some questions that I have for getting started to do restaurant magic. I perform at kid's parties and cocktail parties a lot and I am looking to get a little extra $$$!!!! ( who isn't? ) I would be VERY greatful if someone could answer some of these questions.

Thank you,
~ Chris

DO NOT BRING A CLOSE-UP MAT because they are not there to share their table. Use everything in hands or their hands 3-5 tricks for at max of 10 mins. IF THEIR FOOD COMES YOU HAVE TO LEAVE RIGHT THEN so make sure you get magic tricks that you can stop where ever. ALWAYS GIVE OUT BUSINESS CARDS IF YOU WANT MORE BUSINES!!!!

hope this helps look at the next topic below i did that should help ever more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

guitarguy89 wrote:

Thank you,
~ Chris

Here is your answer to all of the questions you have. Buy Live at the Jailhouse, and Kirk Charles guide on the subject (I apologize, I don't remember the exact name, but I'm sure you can find it with a simple search).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:33 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
guitarguy89 wrote:

Thank you,
~ Chris

Here is your answer to all of the questions you have. Buy Live at the Jailhouse, and Kirk Charles guide on the subject (I apologize, I don't remember the exact name, but I'm sure you can find it with a simple search).

If I got a dollar for every time that you have said that to a beginner in restaraunt magic, I'd be rich! Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:14 am 
Penguin

If more people took that advice then we wouldn’t have so many duplicate posts. We would also have more people that actually know how to work at a restaurant.
Chris, I will answer your questions from my personal experience. I DO work restaurants but again this is my own personal preference. Take it or leave it.
1. I do use a close up mat. I have a small 1/4 size mat that is easily placed on the table with out taking up to much space. If the table is full I never move items for the mat I just leave it out and do in hands magic.
2. I seek out places that are not chains but personally owned.
3. I work one day a week as my schedule would not let me commit to more. I work 2 hours.
4. I do a simple chop cup routine for my final effect. Its a mix of Kirk Charles (taught on live at the jailhouse) with my own style and flare. Its a one cup routine and fits simply in my pocket.
5. I can't give you a good routine because I don't know you or your performing style. But look for 3-4 tricks that lead nicely into each other and can end quickly if the food comes out or the people aren’t feeling it. Also leave 1-2 tricks for the end if they really like the magic or possibly saw you perform at another table
6. Yes, hand out business cards. Will you get calls off of them? Probably not but it shows your professional and if you get one gig from them its paid for its self. I either do a effect with my card or hand it out during my card to wallet effect.
7. I noticed you say you do kids parties and other walkround stuff so you know that its not the effects that you do but its your personality that the spectators and customers love.
But here are a few very nice effects that can be purchased at penguin that I use or have used and like.
Multiplying Sponge Bunnies
Card-Toon 1 and 2
Color Changing Ball to Jumbo Square
Scotch and Soda
Invisible Deck
Television Box
5 to 1 Transpo
Mini Hippity Hop Rabbits

Adam

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:42 pm 
Penguin