View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:36 pm 

The real point is, he checked his local labor laws and is in compliance. Any efforts to derail this topic will be deleted without warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DaveV wrote:
The real point is, he checked his local labor laws and is in compliance. Any efforts to derail this topic will be deleted without warning.

Yes he did. I wish more people here would be like him. Most come on here asking rather than searching for them selves. :roll:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/lablaw/llcl70.pdf

Theres Texas Child Labor Laws. Found this in less than 2 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DaveV wrote:
That may be true, but child labor laws don't actually come into play here, since he's an independent contractor. And by law, he could have started even younger. Because he's not an employee of the restaurant. The real issue is more with maturity levels. And I believe he showed his lack of maturity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:24 pm 

If we're talking about age, let's talk about age. Not a supposed maturity level of someone you don't even know.

We do not know if he's an independent contractor or employee. That's between him and and the restaurant and whether he gets a W2 or 1099 at the end of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:46 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DaveV wrote:
If we're talking about age, let's talk about age. Not a supposed maturity level of someone you don't even know.

We do not know if he's an independent contractor or employee. That's between him and and the restaurant and whether he gets a W2 or 1099 at the end of the year.
Age and maturity go hand in hand. I think you could agree that in general, a 14 year old is going to be less mature then a 18 year old. There may be exceptions, but not many.

The largest argument on why younger people shouldn't be working in restaurants is because of maturity levels. With age, comes maturity, can't get around it. And the only way we know these people is through what they say on a site like this. So, if they show a low maturity level by the things they say, we can only assume they have a low maturity level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:03 pm 
Penguin

I dont want to get into a argument with you Fallingblood i respect you very much although I disagree with you in thhis area. I would like to think of myself as a exception I would like to think I am mature for my age. Although you are correct when you said " There may be exceptions, but not many." I like to think that I am a exception. Also, you really cant tell how people are by a post or what they write on their computer. You have to meet them and you can find out their personality from their. Please Falling blood I respect you and I think you are a very good magician but even the pros can be taught a lesson. Please dont stereotype or judge a book by its cover. Thany you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:13 pm 
born to perform.

I performed at a restaurant once (on New Year's) and I am only 15 (soon to be 16). The people at tables kept requesting me multiple times, which to me seems rather like a successful performance for a 15 year old.
But I do have to say that I don't want to consider any long term restaurant work until I am at least 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:46 am 
born to perform.

i tottaly agree with you bhindthecurtin, i am 14 years old myself, and in my opinion i think it is great the amount of practice i have got with a real live audience, my parents are getting me to do all the family get togethers , and i have defiently built up a reputaion in my local area and at school, i put alot of effort into what i am doing and i would love it as a career someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:04 am 

One of the reasons that we older professional magicians don't think you teens should be working restaurants is very simple. Most kids think tat a scotch and soda, a svengali deck, and the Pen thru the dollar are all you need to entertain people. These tricks are good for the "cute little kid" but do not a restaurant magician make.

What we have seen over and over again is some gimmickmaster of a kid come in to a restaurant and says he will entertain people for $20 a night plus tips. When management looks at paying a pro what we charge and some kid for $20, guess who wins? Then since the kid has no idea on how to entertain, he gets fired. So does the manager call the magician up to bring him in? No, the manager just says that all these dam magicians are a buch of crap.

Fallingblood, myself, all of us that have been in the business know about this and hate it when some stupid punk kid destroys OUR reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:29 pm 
Penguin

Hey just because your older gives you absolutely NO RIGHT TO CALL US STUPID PUNK KIDS!!!!!! If you are a real good magician do not worry about us kids who you think will get fired! HA! I have been working at my restaurants for 3 months and i am 14 ( almost 15). If your so good people will know that your the best and have no worries about other " stupid punk kids" that in some wierd way ,you think will make YOU look bad! Look, I do good tricks I earn my money and like what I do. I do good work and am very proud of what I have accomplished so dont try and bash other young people becase you think we are all " stupid punk kids", because we arent were just as good as you. The only diffference between you and me is that you might be a little taller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

acesplaya35 wrote:
Hey just because your older gives you absolutely NO RIGHT TO CALL US STUPID PUNK KIDS!!!!!! If you are a real good magician do not worry about us kids who you think will get fired! HA! I have been working at my restaurants for 3 months and i am 14 ( almost 15). If your so good people will know that your the best and have no worries about other " stupid punk kids" that in some wierd way ,you think will make YOU look bad! Look, I do good tricks I earn my money and like what I do. I do good work and am very proud of what I have accomplished so dont try and bash other young people becase you think we are all " stupid punk kids", because we arent were just as good as you. The only diffference between you and me is that you might be a little taller.
First of all, you aren't as good as some of the professionals on this board. And you're darn well not as good as Paddy. You have what, a couple of years of experience in magic? Paddy has been doing this for longer then you've been alive. It's that type of attitude that shows why we call you stupid punk kids. It's because of your arrogance, and your unwillingness to actually listen to what people who are doing this for a living, are saying. We know what we're talking about. Because besides from all of the studying we've done, we've also been doing this much longer then you. And people like Paddy, who have been doing this much longer then me, especially knows what they are talking about. Paddy has taught me a lot, as well as many other people on here, about restaurant magic. So it's best to just listen to what he has to say.

And you clearly show that you don't have much experience, because it is true that if some kid goes in a plays magician in a restaurant, and screws up, they screw it up for everyone. That restaurant, for the most part, won't even give you a second look. They will flat out turn you down. I've had that happen on a couple of occasions now, and it sucks, because you know you can do better, but some kid decides to screw it up for everyone because they have an over inflated ego. So it doesn't matter if you're the best, if you can't even get a meeting with the general manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:10 pm 

Okay, as with nearly all topics about age, this one too is LOCKED.

Last word: People who think they're mature for their age usually aren't. They don't understand it until they're older. By then it's no longer an issue. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4