View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: First Job
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:02 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Posts: 100
So... I've been working at a rather large family resturant with very good turnover. They've got a large dining room and bar. I've been doing magic for just a little longer than I've been working there(9 months). I hate to brag, but for a beginner I have quite a knack for it. The preist/consulor guy at my school is also a professional magician for maybe over 20 years. He is good friends with guys like Fred Marco and John Calvert. He is very impressed with my sleight of hand skills and presentation of close up trciks.

Well, he said it'd be a good idea to see if the managers would let me do table magic a few nights a week. Before he mentioned this I had been doing magic for other staff members around the resturant and without me saying anything a manager brought up the idea of me doing table magic.

So, I think I'll show the managers some tricks in private and see what they say. My older magician friend(mentor, I guess) said to go up to tables in between their drink and their salad/soup before their meal. "Hello, I'm Vince Tanner. Would you like to see some magic?" Do one or two tricks. Leave them wanting more.

I wanna make sure I have everything planned out. I've got a wide, wide range of card tricks. I have Card Stunts and Pyrotecnics. I know alot more card stuff than just that though. Coins, I know. TT magic. Salt and pepper tricks. Money magic.

Any suggestions for selling this off to the resturant administration?
Presentation tips?
Tricks and routine ideas?

I'm thinking of picking up Greed.

Let me know what you think. Thanks so much for reading all this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:07 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
I hope you get the job. It's nice to see some people going out there and getting into it. But, be prepared to be bashed on here by people telling you that 9 months is too early, and you're too young. I can actually partially agree with the 9 months thing, because that's not very long. I've been doing magic for about 3 years, and I still don't think I'm ready to do restaurant, because a) I'm only 14, which I personally think is a tad too young, and b) I have heard many people say that it is a lot harder than people think. So once again, I say go for it, and if you don't get it, don't let your hopes get down, and keep trying. Good luck to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:03 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
I see a couple of things with this. First, if a manager already asked you to perform walk around for customers, why worry about an audition. Obviously he has seen you perform and that was your audition.

Two, your phrase
Quote:
The preist/consulor guy at my school
just confuses the edited out of me for 2 reasons.

Alpha) you don't know whether he is a PRIEST or if he is a layman working as a COUNSELLOR.

Omega) if he is a priest you should be going to a Catholic school and they teach you how to spell correctly.

Yes some people say they don't care about spelling, however, this is the only way which we get to know you, through your writing ability. You have made an impression on me. I believe this post is bull crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:58 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
paddy wrote:
Two, your phrase
Quote:
The preist/consulor guy at my school
just confuses the edited out of me for 2 reasons.

Alpha) you don't know whether he is a PRIEST or if he is a layman working as a COUNSELLOR.

Omega) if he is a priest you should be going to a Catholic school and they teach you how to spell correctly.

Yes some people say they don't care about spelling, however, this is the only way which we get to know you, through your writing ability. You have made an impression on me. I believe this post is bull crap.


Actually, some priests of the Catholic Church work at the schools of their parish, as well. Our pries is a priest, and the principal of our school... and he's going to college again. Sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to point that out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Get Live at the Jailhouse. You have shown you really don't know a thing about restaurant magic. It's not just about the magic. So you need to do some study. Get Live at the Jailhouse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:16 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
Here's another good DVD on Restaurant magic. It's not even advertised yet except to his own mailing list, so you heard it here first!

www.leeasher.com/david_stone_magic.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:10 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 1394
Location: Newmarket, ON, Canada
doesn't beta come after alpha?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 3193
Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
DaveV wrote:
Here's another good DVD on Restaurant magic. It's not even advertised yet except to his own mailing list, so you heard it here first!

www.leeasher.com/david_stone_magic.htm


Got it at the lecture.

didn't know that it was so new.



Here's my review:

I liked it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:40 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Posts: 100
paddy wrote:
I see a couple of things with this. First, if a manager already asked you to perform walk around for customers, why worry about an audition. Obviously he has seen you perform and that was your audition.

Two, your phrase
Quote:
The preist/consulor guy at my school
just confuses the edited out of me for 2 reasons.

Alpha) you don't know whether he is a PRIEST or if he is a layman working as a COUNSELLOR.

Omega) if he is a priest you should be going to a Catholic school and they teach you how to spell correctly.

Yes some people say they don't care about spelling, however, this is the only way which we get to know you, through your writing ability. You have made an impression on me. I believe this post is bull crap.

:roll: And your missing puntuation marks and capitals. Welcome to the internet.

He is a priest who acts as a counsulor/school admin guy. He is also a magician.

Less confused or should I slow down more?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:42 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Posts: 100
bucky310 wrote:
doesn't beta come after alpha?

Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:46 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Alpha is the beginning of the Greek Alphabet and Omega is the end of it. But what I was pointing out was the phrase
Quote:
The preist/consulor guy at my school

By his training a priest is a counsellor. That is part of his vocation. When phrased this way and with the obvious misspellings, it shows me that this person does not go to a Catholic school as he would have us believe. If caught in one mistruth, then it is hard to believe anything else he says.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:25 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Posts: 100
So, because one of the consulors at my school is a priest it means that I go to Catholic school. Which obviously means I am a Catholic myself with a deep knowladge of the religion. So by saying that a priest who is a counsellor by vocation is also a student counsellor at my school is being stupid and redundant. I must be lying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:27 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Posts: 100
Oh, look. Videos of me in my uniform.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UrzaUnforgotten

Done now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:33 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 May 2006
Posts: 1595
Location: San Diego
Ultimate workers volume one has a lot of GREAT tricks for restrant work and michael close gives you a LOT of hints on getting jobs and such with performing magic in restraunts


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.