View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:59 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
I didn't mean pros as in someone who makes millions on this type of work, a pro to me is someone who has experience, and who actually works at restaurants or bars.

And let me ask YOU ( SmokingMonkey ) something, do YOU work restaurants?

I also meant pro as in "someone who has experience, and who actually works at restaurants or bars".
There are only a few of those people here. The vast majority don't even realize that there are establishments which have cotton napkins. Most aren't even old enough to work, let alone go into a bar. They don't have experience working in restaurants and bars

No, I don't work in a restaurant. I have worked/performed in a restaurant a few times as a substitute for the regular magician.
It was fun, it was exciting, it was a learning experience.

And I'm not ready to do it full time or regularly. Not sure I would want to either.

I don't know what my experience has to do with your lack of being ready to work a restaurant, but hopefully I was able to help.

Good luck.
And show them your ball and vase. People find that cute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:23 pm 
Penguin

SmokingMonkey wrote:
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
I
I don't know what my experience has to do with your lack of being ready to work a restaurant, but hopefully I was able to help.

I just found it hypercritical that you criticize me saying that I am not ready, coming from someone who doesn't do this type of job full time. Sure you may have worked a little bit in this category, but in the end, based on what you mentioned, it seems I am as ready as you are, or you once were considering the fact that you no longer do this work.

And yes, some of your advice was helpful to me, and I appreciate the suggestions you have made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:17 pm 

Magicmaniac1 wrote:
Quote:
I just found it hypercritical that you criticize me saying that I am not ready, coming from someone who doesn't do this type of job full time. Sure you may have worked a little bit in this category, but in the end, based on what you mentioned, it seems I am as ready as you are, or you once were considering the fact that you no longer do this work.

The difference is that the Monkey HAS EXPERIENCE. He may not have been full time, but he does have the experience under his belt. I am a full time performer in restaurants. In fact 100% of my income is from performing and of that at least 50% is from working in restaurants. I will say that the Monkey is a smart a$$ about the stupid "card wallet" thing that he posts but when he gives advice (besides buying card wallets) I would listen to him.

As to your "performing magic since you were 4 years old, well maybe doing tricks, but I doubt yoiu have been performing that long. To get a resalistic answer, don't bother with forums like this. we can't help you because we don't even know who the h e l l you are, so how can we judge you? Start to attend your Ring and/or Assembly meetings every month. Let other magi in your area see you, then ask THEM if you're ready.

I never give out the websites for the rings or assemblies because if anyone is REALLY interested in magic, they should already know how to get in touch with them, plus they should know the difference between a ring and an assembly. If you don't, then do your homework, don't ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:25 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
Quote:

The difference is that the Monkey HAS EXPERIENCE. He may not have been full time, but he does have the experience under his belt. I am a full time performer in restaurants. In fact 100% of my income is from performing and of that at least 50% is from working in restaurants. I will say that the Monkey is a smart a$$ about the stupid "card wallet" thing that he posts but when he gives advice (besides buying card wallets) I would listen to him.

As to your "performing magic since you were 4 years old, well maybe doing tricks, but I doubt yoiu have been performing that long. To get a resalistic answer, don't bother with forums like this. we can't help you because we don't even know who the h e l l you are, so how can we judge you? Start to attend your Ring and/or Assembly meetings every month. Let other magi in your area see you, then ask THEM if you're ready.

I never give out the websites for the rings or assemblies because if anyone is REALLY interested in magic, they should already know how to get in touch with them, plus they should know the difference between a ring and an assembly. If you don't, then do your homework, don't ask.

Well said, and I appreciate your honesty sir. I agree with everything you said, even the stuff you said about me. I will take your advice into consideration, and will consult with a pro restaurant magician ( I say pro because he has been performing for about 7 years ). This was the advice ( along with the other excellent information from other posters ) I needed, and I'm glad I got these details from someone who is a full time performer. Thank you again for your help man.