View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Routines: different or the same?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:53 am 
Penguin

Hi all,
So I'm planning to start restaurant magic next october. Yes, I am practicing everything: patter, tricks, presentation. I've been strolling on loads of forums, I've seen what all the experts and pros say, what advice they give to beginners, etc..
But the point of this subject is: well, I've got a question. Do you perform the same routines your whole evening? I've been thinking (big deal!), if the people on the next table hear and see the tricks you're doing, they might not be interested on seeing them again. On the other hand, if you change, the people might say "why don't you do the trick you did to the table before?".
So, I'm just looking for some advice, to give me an idea, I'm in no way trying to copy other's routines. Anyway, I haven't got the same character, etc, I know.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Elisabeth.

PS: I did search, didn't find anything on this specific subject, please forgive me if I accidentally missed something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:25 am 

It has been brought up before but is hard to find, so no big deal. When you go in you should have 9 or 10 effects that you will perform. When strolling you are only going to do 2 or 3 (at the most) effects at each table.

So as you go around table 1 sees A & B; table 2 get C & D; table 3 gets A & E etc. Youjust vary the effects you show each table .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:39 pm 
Penguin

My view is that if you are only going to have 5 mins with someone, you better do your best stuff. Save the other routines for IF the same people return at a later date to see more.

Generally, if the people are even aware of the specific routine you've done at the previous table(s), they'd like to see the same thing up close for themselves.

This is especially important if you're handing out business cards / booking shows from your restaurant work. You've got 5 mins or less to make an impression... what do YOU think you should do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:14 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
paddy wrote:
It has been brought up before but is hard to find, so no big deal. When you go in you should have 9 or 10 effects that you will perform. When strolling you are only going to do 2 or 3 (at the most) effects at each table.

So as you go around table 1 sees A & B; table 2 get C & D; table 3 gets A & E etc. Youjust vary the effects you show each table .
I take it you would want one if that many gimmicks. (Loops or Scotch and Soda are my concerns)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:39 pm 

Tupelo wrote
Quote:
I take it you would want one if that many gimmicks. (Loops or Scotch and Soda are my concerns)

No. I do not use gimmicks at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:10 pm 
Penguin

Get David stone real secrets of magic, vol1 and vol2,

that is the best resturant magic dvd ever,

And the best way to get good in resturang magic, is to get your one experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:33 am 
Penguin

I know I have to get my own experience, I just don't want to have a very nasty surprise when I realise how hard the work is, for example. That's why I'm trying to get advice from people who are doing this job.
Thanks a lot for your advice, all of you. Maybe I'll just wait for more.