View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:24 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
Yes, entertainers can work at any age. However, they can not work in a restaurant. That's completely different. Because they are then an employee of the restaurant. The restaurant can't hire someone under 14 years of age.

That is not true in all cases depending on your location anyway. I know
that where I am at you can bus at 14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:46 pm 
Emperor Penguin

magicman1977 wrote:
That is not true in all cases depending on your location anyway. I know
that where I am at you can bus at 14.
I never said someone who is 14 can't work at a restaurant. I said someone younger then 14 (meaning 13 years of age, or younger). And that is the law pretty much all across the United States.

Paddy- Thank you for correcting me. I've heard you say the same thing before, but I never really let it sink in. But I learned something new now.

Magicman300300- We only know you by how you act on this forum. Now it's only logical to expect you to act the same way in person. If you look at my posts on this forum, you would tell that I can be a very sarcastic person. That's true in life as well. I portray myself on this forum as I would portray myself in person. And that's what most people do. Now, there may be some differences, but our actual self is portrayed by what we say.

You have shown that you aren't mature enough though. You can't take the criticism (which isn't even that bad) that people are giving you. If you can't take that from a group of magicians, who are trying to help, then how are you going to take the horrible bashings that some hecklers will give you? That is something that will happen. I don't care how good your magic is, you will perform for people who want to show you up. And they will do whatever they can to do so. How will you react then? Are you going to get into an argument with them, like you are doing here? Because the will get you fired.

Also, the example Paddy gave, about a woman breast feeding, isn't too uncommon. I've had it happen to me a couple of times, and it is an awkward thing to deal with, the first couple of times. I mean, I turned 19 not too long ago, and I've been doing restaurant magic for over a year now. And I know just at my age, it's hard to deal with something like that. And I can guarantee, that at your age, it will be much more difficult.

Now, here's another example that happens. What will you do when you are performing at a table, and an angry husband or boyfriend comes up and demands that you perform for their female friend right then? I mean, you are in the middle of a routine for another table, and this guy is demanding (pretty much yelling at you) to do magic for his female friend. It's not an easy situation. Or how about this, what happens when you perform for a drunk guy, and he feels you have insulted him, and wants to beat the snot out of you? Try using a one liner there. These things do happen.

It's great you want to be a professional magician. But instead of jumping into restaurant magic, which you have proven you aren't mature enough to handle, do some kids shows. Stick with what you're doing now. But drop the ego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:52 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
I never said someone who is 14 can't work at a restaurant. I said someone younger then 14 (meaning 13 years of age, or younger). And that is the law pretty much all across the United States.

My bad for missing that, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:30 pm 

If you want to continue arguing over whether or not a particular performer is ready, I suggest everyone take a deep breath, calm down, put our preconceived notions aside, and start over.

Magic Dave's posts were misleading as it also appeared to me he'd rather practice (and fail) early than wait a few years and do it after he's matured both physically and magically.

Quote:
I would rather start performing earlier and have a situation once a week during which I am lost as to what to do next, than to start performing in 4 years, ...

With a posting like this what else can we think? Paddy's defensive for good reason. Not only is an unprepared young magician hurting himself, he's also hurting future business opportunities for all other magicians.

Magic Dave's right, we can't judge his magic remotely, all we have to go on are his words, and his words were unclear.

If you wish to start with a clean slate and choose your words a bit more carefully I have no problem with starting a fresh topic under the heading "Do you think I'm ready?" although most of these quickly turn into flamefests and go away as quickly as they're written.

So, since the original post about minimum ages and restaurants has been answered to everyone's satisfaction, I consider this particular topic finished.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2