View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Turn to Get Bashed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Hey guys, I'm starting to look into restaurant magic, and hope to start doing it within the next year or two. I'm going to be buying Live at the Jailhouse in about 3-4 weeks, because I've heard it is a great source. I have looked all over for Kirk Charles' guide on the subject, but couldn't find it anywhere. :cry: I have searched through these forums, and talked to a couple members (Fallingblood, mainly... thank you, if you are reading this). I'm 14, and I live in a small town in northern Missouri. The first restaurant I would like to try is Applebee's, and if I don't get the job there, I would like to try at another restaurant in town called Washington Street. It's a lot like Applebee's, but has been there longer. I plan on getting business cards from overnightprints.com, if you're wondering. I have a couple questions that if I could get any help with, that would be fantastic, and I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How do I get the "audition"?

2. What should be my starting pay?

3. How much should I work?
- I go to my Dad's house every weekend, so I wouldn't be able to work on the weekends, unless I got a job here. :roll:

4. How often should I buy new material to circulate in?

5. Is there a "time limit" on how long you keep your restaurant gigs?

6. Do you take tips and a wage from the establishment, or just one or the other?

Once again, this isn't one of those, "OMG, I have a gig in a week," or, "I want to do restaurant work...now," things. I'm not planning on doing this for quite a long time. I'm just trying to get prepared now. I've given this a lot of thought, and honestly, debated posting this, because I'm afraid to get bashed. lol I will also be contacting a local magian to see if I could possibly talk to him about it sometime. Thanks again., I really appreciate all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:36 pm 
born to perform.

The first thing I'd suggest is any books you can find on entertaining in restaurants. The Restaurant Worker's Handbook seems to be a great place to look. Besides that and Live at the Jailhouse, I'm pretty much in the dark in the restaurant magic biz. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks, I'll look into The Restaurant Worker's Handbook. The one that I'm really looking for is Kirk Charles' book, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

Pick up Live At The Jailhouse, itll anwser all your questions and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
adjones---

- I go to my Dad's house every weekend, so I wouldn't be able to work on the weekends, unless I got a job here.

6. Do you take tips and a wage from the establishment, or just one or the other?

Now here's an ambitious young man, looking for advice. I admire your fortitude to bring your questions...here...for answers.

1. Contacting the Restaurant Manager directly is best. Whether you decide on a written Resume to send or appearing in person...or both, will depend on their schedule, for sure.
Think about what you might say, first...gaining the Manager's intestest is paramount.

2. Starting pay is a delicate subject. Consider different options and "pitch" those options to the Manager. See if you can work out a compromise, so both of you will benefit.

3. You are 14 and I believe that Child Labor Laws apply within all States, here in the U.S. The Restaurant may require you to be at least 16, before they can put you to work. If they hire you at your current age, they can only allow you to work...very few hours.

4.Get comfortable with the Material you now perform. Divide that material into 3-4 different "Sets". That way when a repeat cutomer comes back...you'll be able to show them something different and "new"to them.

5. No, there is no time limit. I have performed at some Restaurants for a period of 6 months...while others 3 months. Again, it will depend upon the Management. They will ultimately determine whether your time there is beneficial to their business.

6. I have done both. Again, the wage "options" I mentioned earlier play an important roll in your continued success.

Hope it helps and I wish you luck.

Post subject: Re: My Turn to Get Bashed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:53 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
adjones wrote:
Hey guys, I'm starting to look into restaurant magic, and hope to start doing it within the next year or two. I'm going to be buying Live at the Jailhouse in about 3-4 weeks, because I've heard it is a great source. I have looked all over for Kirk Charles' guide on the subject, but couldn't find it anywhere. :cry: I have searched through these forums, and talked to a couple members (Fallingblood, mainly... thank you, if you are reading this). I'm 14, and I live in a small town in northern Missouri. The first restaurant I would like to try is Applebee's, and if I don't get the job there, I would like to try at another restaurant in town called Washington Street. It's a lot like Applebee's, but has been there longer. I plan on getting business cards from overnightprints.com, if you're wondering. I have a couple questions that if I could get any help with, that would be fantastic, and I would greatly appreciate it.

- I go to my Dad's house every weekend, so I wouldn't be able to work on the weekends, unless I got a job here. :roll:

Once again, this isn't one of those, "OMG, I have a gig in a week," or, "I want to do restaurant work...now," things. I'm not planning on doing this for quite a long time. I'm just trying to get prepared now. I've given this a lot of thought, and honestly, debated posting this, because I'm afraid to get bashed. lol I will also be contacting a local magian to see if I could possibly talk to him about it sometime. Thanks again., I really appreciate all the help.
If you get bashed I will too. :lol: I also need to know. Only thing is that I already have the job they said when I am ready.( Year or so) I need some material also on all of the questions above except the auditions. I pm'd paddy so I am waiting on his response but want others to help also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks Blindside. I totally forgot about Child Labor Laws. :evil: I was thinking starting out doing very little, and slowly working my way up. I was thinking of doing about 2 hours, one day a week, at about $75-$100 per night... with one free night, no tips, no wage, just to see if they like me. Is this too high, or about right? I was also considering seeing about being paid about $20 an hour instead, which would bring it down to $40 a night, but I'm really not in it for the money at this point... the experience is what I need. I was also thinking that before I even try to get the job, I'm going to go out to our hospital and nursing homes and perform there, getting more experience. Another event I was thinking of doing walk-around at was our church's annual Fall Festival. Anyway, I don't want to get too far off topic. Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: My Turn to Get Bashed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

adjones wrote:
There are different ways to approach this. This is how I usually go about this. I call ahead and ask if the general manager is there. If they are there, I ask the person I'm talking to, how long they will be there (I give the excuse that I want to come in and thank them for having great service). If they aren't there, I ask when they will be around. Once I find out when the general manager will be there, I show up and ask to speak with them if I could have a chance to discuss with them some ideas that would greatly benefit their restaurant. I usually get a yes, and there's the audition. Once in awhile, I get a no, because it may be a little busy, but I leave a brochure with them, and I come back a different day. You want to try to show up there at a non-busy time though. The easiest way is just to ask.

Quote:
That depends on where you live. A good tip that I've heard is to take the most expensive dish on the menu, double that price, and there's your hourly wage. I believe it was double the price (I know on Live at the Jailhouse they go over it). Personally, I just think of the highest price I can say out loud, without laughing, and I do that for a nightly wage. It may sound a little crazy, but it works.

Quote:
It depends on the person. I won't do more than 5 nights, unless it's a special event, and I charge more for that extra night. I never work less then 2 hours per shift. I've worked as long as 8 hour shifts, on really busy days (with some larger breaks in between), but I usually try to stick to no more then 5 hours a night. I usually get in about 20 hours a week. It just works best for me.

Quote:
This really depends on how much material you have. I never have to buy another piece of magic. I have enough to last the rest of my life. Now I don't know how much you have, so it's hard to say. I personally have four routines. I end up switching those four routines monthly. This is just me though, and that has to do with me having OCD. It's just something that I have to do.

Quote:
I have a 6 week contract. After four weeks, it can be negotiated. Every week, I must work at least two shifts, or 5 hours. This is just me. But I find a 6 week contract to work best.

Quote:
I work mostly off of wage. I do take some tips. However, I'm quite particular with this. If the people look like they are well to do, and it's a larger tip, I will take it. If the people look like they need the money, I kindly turn it down. And tell them that it's not necessary because I'm being paid by the house. However, if they insist, I will take it, as not to offend them. I also turn down every 5th person. But that has to do with OCD.

I'd really suggest waiting until you are at least 16. I think waiting longer would be even better, but 16 at least. For the Kirk Charles Manual, you will have a hard time. I know I suggest it all of the time, but I never knew it was so hard to find. If you can get it though, it's well worth the money. Once you get Live at the Jailhouse, many of your questions will be answered as well, but it still pays to ask working professionals. And if you can talk to the local magician, that's great. It would help. There are two other sources you should search: "The Restaurant Worker's Handbook" by Jim Pace and "Making a Living Entertaining in Restaurants" by Peter Lansing. Two other good sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:07 am 

Talk to the general manager of the restaurant. Not the manager but only to the general manager. He is the decision maker

You don't get "paid." You are an independent entertainer (also called a contractor.) You set a figure that you need to make for a night and go from there. EXAMLE ONLY - say you can work for 3 hours a night so you tell the G.M. "I want $50 plus tips.) You are then responsible for all taxes and to supply liability insurance so the restaurant won't get sued if you screw up.

- I go to my Dad's house every weekend, so I wouldn't be able to work on the weekends, unless I got a job here.
If you can't work weekends you are basically screwed. That is when the restaurants need you the most. Also never take a Monday gig. Mondays are the slowest day in the week for restaurants.

As often as necessary, that's all up to you.

I have one restaurant that I have been at for 9 years, most of my restaurants I have been at for 4 to 5 years and one place where I just started 5 months ago.

Again, you are NOT an employee so you never receive a "wage." Take both tips and a fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:03 am 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks both Fallen and Paddy for the advice, I'll definitely use it. Paddy, you said if I can't work weekends I'm screwed... I was thinking maybe working Fridays, since I know those days are pretty busy. What do you think? Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:45 am 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
adjones wrote:
Thanks both Fallen and Paddy for the advice, I'll definitely use it. Paddy, you said if I can't work weekends I'm screwed... I was thinking maybe working Fridays, since I know those days are pretty busy. What do you think? Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Not a busker but I think Friday nights would be considered weekends or that is what I think Paddy means. If not then correct me. I don't know too much on busking yet but I would consider Friday nights weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

tupelo wrote:
adjones wrote:
Not a busker but I think Friday nights would be considered weekends or that is what I think Paddy means. If not then correct me. I don't know too much on busking yet but I would consider Friday nights weekend.

I'm not asking about busking, I'm asking about restaurant work. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:14 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
tupelo wrote:
adjones wrote:

I'm not asking about busking, I'm asking about restaurant work. :?
Sorry I was combining two threads but still think that Friday nights would be considered weekends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:45 pm 

Yep. Fridays nights, Saturdays, and Sundays are weekends. I thought you were going to your Dad's place on Fri, so you wouldn't be able to work Fri night. In restaurants the biggest tip days, in order from the top are; Sat.
Fri.
Wed.
Sun.
Thurs.
Tues.
and nothing on Mondays they are really bad.

Seriously on a good weekend in the summer, when it rains it is not unusual to make $300 to $400 or higher. I know "when it rains?" Yep, at least here in the midwest. If the weather is really good people will grill in their back yards, if it rains they can't grill and mama doesn't want to cook so it's restaurant time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well, I live in Missouri, and I never thought of anything like that... very interesting. I do go to my Dad's on Friday nights, but I could probably work out a deal with him where he could either pick me up early Saturday morning or late Friday night. Thanks for that list of tip days, that will help me decide what days I would like to work.. I also may, I repeat may, be able to get a gig here for Friday/Saturday nights, and my Dad can just pick me up early and I can go to it. Once again, thanks for the help.