View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

Bolenski wrote:
Quote:
Every little kid gets a Scotch and Soda or an imp bottle or worse yet, gets both, he then thinks "I am now a magician!!! Now I can go work in restaurants!" It does get a little boring and aggravating at the same time.

Dude, i hate scotch and soda, in fact, i dont even have that trick.

Thanx for your critisism, but im not just a little kid who thinks i can do magic, im not saying im great, but im not terrible at magic.

I probably am too young to be a magician in a retaurant... so that brings me to another question.

Is there anything that i can do (other than birthday parties) to practice and hone my skills while aquiring a little profit as well?

Why do you need to make a profit? Learn all you can from books, DVDs, whatever. Learn all the magic you can. It isn't expensive at all if you know the sources to learn from. You can build a professional career with common sense and about $200 in books. I'm not joking.

There's no need to make money with magic so early on. It will pay for itself later on, for now just absorb all you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:16 am 
born to perform.

Bolenski wrote:
Quote:
Every little kid gets a Scotch and Soda or an imp bottle or worse yet, gets both, he then thinks "I am now a magician!!! Now I can go work in restaurants!" It does get a little boring and aggravating at the same time.

Dude, i hate scotch and soda, in fact, i dont even have that trick.

Thanx for your critisism, but im not just a little kid who thinks i can do magic, im not saying im great, but im not terrible at magic.

I probably am too young to be a magician in a retaurant... so that brings me to another question.

Is there anything that i can do (other than birthday parties) to practice and hone my skills while aquiring a little profit as well?

This is the most honest answer I can give you if you want to do magic and make money here is what you do:

1) Volunteer to do magic anywhere(blood-bank hospital etc. )

2)Get a Job. Better yet get a job AT a restaurant so you can get the feel of how they run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:31 am 
Penguin

Quote:
You don't do shows to practice your skills. That will get you a bad reputation.

I didn't really mean to practice my skills, i meant to help my performance get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:57 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Why do you need to make a profit?

I need to make profit because i'm broke and i need more money to buy more tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:59 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Get a Job. Better yet get a job AT a restaurant so you can get the feel of how they run.

Thanx so much for your advice about volunteering at places, i never thought about that.

I can't get a job at a restaurant because im only 13 ( 14 in September)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:10 am 
born to perform.

Bolenski wrote:
Quote:

I need to make profit because i'm broke and i need more money to buy more tricks.

See I was kind of going with you until you said that now you really don't belong in a restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:11 am 
born to perform.

Bolenski wrote:
Quote:
Get a Job. Better yet get a job AT a restaurant so you can get the feel of how they run.

Thanx so much for your advice about volunteering at places, i never thought about that.

You can on a farm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 am 
Emperor Penguin

Bolenski wrote:
Quote:

You dont need to buy more "tricks", you want to buy more "tricks."

Take what you have work on it, perfect it, make routines, work on them, perform them....

More Tricks dont make you a better magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:33 am 
Penguin

Quote:
You dont need to buy more "tricks", you want to buy more "tricks."

Take what you have work on it, perfect it, make routines, work on them, perform them....

More Tricks dont make you a better magician.

First of all, i have mastered every trick i have.

Second, i need to make some profit to make up for the money i've already spent on magic tricks.

And third, your right, more tricks don't make you a better magician, but there are some tricks that are must have's for every magician such as cups and balls, sponge balls, etc. i have learned cups and balls using stuff around the house, but i would like the real thing. Since i don't have a job, or an allowance, i am trying to make just a little profit to get more magic when i need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Bolenski wrote:
Ding ding ding. You are correct. Doesn't that tell you something.

Also, I doubt you've mastered everything you have, unless you don't have very many things. You can always make things better. Plus, why not use your imagination and create new effects? Don't do restaurant magic though. You aren't mature enough, you don't know what you are doing, and you are going to screw it up for any other magician in your area. You clearly haven't done your research, and you have no reason to be doing restaurant magic. If you are as good as you say, maybe do some kid shows. As long as you are good at what you do. Or get a job mowing lawns, or start racking leaves in the fall. There are other ways to get money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:29 pm 
Penguin

Bolenski,
Hey I know its tough. Magic is a expensive hobby but you really don't need to buy more stuff.
You can take a life time perfecting the moves and routines in the basic text's such as Royal Road and Bobo's.
Dai Vernon said that he could spend day's doing one effect over and over again, working on trying to make a little change to it that would make it trully his own.
I have been performing since I was 8 (now 27). Some of the same close up effects that I do now and I still don't ever say that I have perfected them. There will always be changes, modifications, updates and the like to a effect or patter.
My advice to you would be to get a real job (paper route, bagging groceries) to make your money now. its what I had to do. i grew up dirt poor and even buying a pack of cards was a stretch. Use that to buy the essentials like cups and balls and the books mentioned. Perfect the slights. Come up with your own routines and possibly your own effects. You'll be better off.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:51 pm 
born to perform.

I'm going to give you some advice. Buy the following items, and you'll have a TON of material for not a lot of money.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic-$17.46
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=3603

Royal Road to Card Magic-$10.46
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=573

Modern Coin Magic-$9.95
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=535

Practical Mental Magic-$11.33
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=575

Cups and Balls-$18.00
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=7291

Sponge Balls-$3.95
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=125

TOTAL-$71.15 or about $65 with the discount

I'm sure you have some of this stuff already, so it should cost even less. Buy all that, and you'll realize that you don't need a lot of money to get all the material you'll ever need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:54 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
I'd like to respond to the question posed in the topic title, "How do I get a job at a restaurant?"

1) Get an application.
2) Fill it out neatly.
3) Give it to the manager and ask for an interview.
4) Answer questions honestly.
5) Be charming.

If the manager feels you will be an asset to the restaurant, you will be hired.

This basically works everywhere.

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:48 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for all of your advice guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

Bolenski wrote:
First of all, i have mastered every trick i have.

And by the way, I really doubt that. Not saying you're a bad magician, just that even the greatest magicians don't claim to have mastery of their fields. There's always more to learn.