View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how much to tip?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 pm 
Penguin

I was just curious what you should tip a magician (who is taking tips) in a restaraunt setting. I guess it seems like it could be awkward if you haven't been to a restaraunt where there was a walkaround before (but I'm sure a good magician can also help ease that tension). So, for simplicity's sake, let's say a guy hired by the restaruant comes to your table at TGI Friday's...what's the ballpark you should tip someone?

Post subject: Re: how much to tip?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:02 pm 
Penguin

TheWorm wrote:
I was just curious what you should tip a magician (who is taking tips) in a restaraunt setting. I guess it seems like it could be awkward if you haven't been to a restaraunt where there was a walkaround before (but I'm sure a good magician can also help ease that tension). So, for simplicity's sake, let's say a guy hired by the restaruant comes to your table at TGI Friday's...what's the ballpark you should tip someone?

One milion bagilion dollers, MOHAHA.

Joking, $5-$10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You don't have to tip them anything. They are being paid by the restaurant already, and they are most likely being paid a nice sum. But if you do tip, tip what you think is right. I mean, if you like it, then tip them what they deserve, if you tip them at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 pm 

I wear tip buttons so people know that I work for tips. They don't know if the restaurant pays me, it does but tips are the gravy. I have been tipped anywhere from zero up to the $20 bill I got tonight.

In one instance about 4 years ago someone dropped a $50 bill in my tip jar. I have no idea who did that or why because I never look in the jar until I get home. I do clean it out every now and then so that it is alway no more than half full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:59 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, thanks a lot. I appreciate the info.

ps - Paddy, thanks for the plethora of info throughout these boards. If in the years to come this is something that I wind up leaning towards, I think I have a good amount of information to begin the process! You're a wealth of wisdom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:59 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I wear tip buttons so people know that I work for tips.

That just seems so tacky to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:59 am 
Penguin

$5-15, depends on how entertaining you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:53 am 
born to perform.

basicly its like your waiter if he did a great job at your table then say about $10.00, same thing with magicians if they loved the way you performed and made there day then you'll get a high tip. same thing for the oppiste.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:02 pm 

AtticusFinch wrote:
paddy wrote:

I average between US$150 and $200 every weekend night I work. Weekday night I average $100 a night. That is just in tips. On top of that is the restaurant fee. I could care less if you think it's "tacky," it pays for new cars, new 27" flat screen TV, and other things that make my life very comfortable.

In other words, who cares if you look tacky just so long as you make the money to enjoy life, let them think what they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:54 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
AtticusFinch wrote:
paddy wrote:

I average between US$150 and $200 every weekend night I work. Weekday night I average $100 a night. That is just in tips. On top of that is the restaurant fee. I could care less if you think it's "tacky," it pays for new cars, new 27" flat screen TV, and other things that make my life very comfortable.

In other words, who cares if you look tacky just so long as you make the money to enjoy life, let them think what they want.

please tell me thats not the only reason your in magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

chartman wrote:
paddy wrote:
AtticusFinch wrote:
paddy wrote:

You must not know paddy that well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:52 pm 
born to perform.

chartman wrote:
paddy wrote:
AtticusFinch wrote:
paddy wrote:

Anyone who can make a living out of magic. edited, anyone who can get GOOD at magic, who can perform for months straight is in it for MUCH more then the wealth. The vast majority of performing magicians are middle class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:54 pm 
born to perform.

To answer the thread, I've been tipped anywhere from $0 to my maximum of $8, within a period of 6 months where I did walkaround.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

MadNuke wrote:
Anyone who can make a living out of magic. edited, anyone who can get GOOD at magic, who can perform for months straight is in it for MUCH more then the wealth. The vast majority of performing magicians are middle class.
Actually, magic is very profitable. I've heard one figure that says on average, a professional magician makes $100,000-$300,000 a year. The key word there is professional though. Many magicians who are making money are semi-professionals, who do it for an extra source of income.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:10 am 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
MadNuke wrote:
Actually, magic is very profitable. I've heard one figure that says on average, a professional magician makes $100,000-$300,000 a year. The key word there is professional though. Many magicians who are making money are semi-professionals, who do it for an extra source of income.

Really? That's interesting, thank you for informing me.

It just seems that, if you took everyone over 18 who performs magic as a sole occupation [kids birthday parties, schools, etc.], the mean, or rather -- median income wouldn't be more than $100,000. I suppose performance arts are more profitable than I thought. I mean, of course Lance Burton and David Copperield are multimillionaires, but most guys who do parties and weddings, etc. wouldn't make a whole lot?

Does anyone else have input?