View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

jmingo1 wrote:
Your not a professional magician if you still live at home with mommy and daddy. Good point.

Not true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:47 am 
born to perform.

I am only a paid amatuer, but personally i think that the only people that are professional's are the people like david copperfield, the people who have their own shows and are at that level, i think i regular restaurant worker like me will never be a "professional" but i guess il just wait and see :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 am 
born to perform.

What I like about forums is that everyone can express their own opinions and agree to disagree or debate an issue all while respecting others viewpoints. One viewpoint is not correct and another is wrong-- they all hold valid ideas and concepts to the holder, which is why we have freedom of speech.

Now, as to my own thoughts...

My daughter always tells her clients that she is a youth performer. She doesn't state amateur nor does she state professional. She does give them access to her website where they can review the awards she has won and read the testimonials of past clients and let them make their own judgments. They don't have to hire her, nor pay her fee. It is their freedom of choice.

With that said, what my daughter will do is always strive 100% to give a PROFESSIONAL performance. She takes her study into the art of magic seriously. She will not take a job that she (or we) do not think she can deliver on. She has turned down jobs that were not her strong point, because why tarnish the reputation you are trying to build? So far her strategy has worked for her.

Now just to let you know she is not trying to become a restaurant magician at age 14 (15 on Saturday!). Her love of magic extends to family entertainment such as public venues where she does stage shows or private events where she does parties. Although her magic does seem to cross the ages from young to the older generation. She has performed for very young children, and for retirement community-- and everything in between. :lol:

I guess in conclusion my opinions is that whatever category you fall into be it amateur or professional-- you must always deliver a PROFESSIONAL performance so it reflects well on the magic community.

~ Kristen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

orcishorde wrote:
I am only a paid amatuer, but personally i think that the only people that are professional's are the people like david copperfield, the people who have their own shows and are at that level, i think i regular restaurant worker like me will never be a "professional" but i guess il just wait and see :lol:

Yet another person who does not know the meaning of the word professional. Just because someone is famous does not mean they are any more of a professional than any other entertainer. That is like saying Ben Matlock is the only professional lawyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:26 pm 
Penguin

So Sirbrad correct me if I am wrong but your idea of a Professional Magician is someone who completley supports themself off of magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It is not just my idea it is a fact. A professional is one who derives the majority of his income from any particular occupation, and yes generally supports himself or a family with it. "Acting" like a professional is not the same as being a professional, although they should go hand in hand. Any competent professional is also going to act professionally.

I am simply stating that no 14-year old is living on their own doing magic full-time. To do so would be illegal anyway. Experience is key, as well as the overall development of the person that only comes through many years of experience and maturing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:26 pm 

Brad, did you get Reel Magic Vol 6? Simon Lovell talks about magicians and expresses an attitude similar to yours and mine.

Great column by him. Also Dean Dill is interviewed by Koz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No I didn't, sounds good though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6