View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Undeserving magician...?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:33 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 5297
Location: Canada
Mprush wrote:
Every trick that he performed was gimmicked and used almost no skill what-so-ever.............As a magician myself, I felt that this guy did not deserve to be performing at one of the most popular restaurants in town, especially when he just relied on gimmicks.
What do you guys think?


I'll first start out with saying you were with friends. Knowing that, we can assume that they have seen a "real" magician (yourself) perform plenty? Yet they applauded and given a nice tip (to say the least). What does that say about yourself?

At any rate, the customer (the restaurant) isn't paying him for his skill in sleight of hand. They are paying him as an entertainer. Judging by the fact that he received a nice tip, he was entertaining.

You have skills you want to show off? Enter into a FISM competition.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:39 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 13 Dec 2004
Posts: 326
Location: Hattiesburg, MS or Provo, UT Depending on the season.
Magic isn't about the secret. Magic doesn't happen in your hands. Magic is about the spectator and Magic happens in their hearts. What difference does it make as to how the effect was accomplished? None! Because the magic isn't about you and how great you are, its about the spectator and how amazed they are. If you can amaze them with pure gimmicks you've done you're job, if its with pure sleight then you've done you're job, but neither way is better than the other, so don't pass judgement on a fellow artist because he exercises and presents the art in a different way than you do. That doesn't help magic and it doesn't help you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 431
akirafist wrote:

He should have gotten one of the lady's phone numbers, just to push ya over the edge.


How do you know it wasn't written on the back of the bill? :wink:

I may be as old as that performer, but young guys get cocky - a very unattractive trait. There are more than a few guys wondering why their ex girlfriends would rather spend time with me, than with them.

Magic is about the audience. If a guy is working, there's a reason for it. If you're not working, there's a reason for that, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:52 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 66
Location: Florida
[quote="Wildheart"]If you saw distinct flaws in his routine and you felt it was hurting his performance. As a fellow magician, you should have talked to him when it was convenient and offered him some suggestions to improve. (That is, if you think you have some good advice to pass on).

If, however you were only unimpressed because you knew the secrets and weren’t fooled. I suggest you bite your tongue and observe how the audience was responding to him. If they were entertained – he did his job. (Gimmicks verses Slight-of-hand has nothing to do with being an entertaining magician. If the Audience enjoyed it, who cares what method he used?)

If you can get anything from this, you can learn what to do and what to do to enhance your magic.

I have seen professional magician’s performance in some examples where it was actually painful to sit through their show without wincing at how corny or bad the routine was. I did keep it to myself, however and noted what I definitely would not do for my show.


Image

“If this be Magic - Let it be an Artâ€


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 261
AlanMunro wrote:

young guys get cocky - a very unattractive trait. There are more than a few guys wondering why their ex girlfriends would rather spend time with me, than with them.


Gee it'd just be unbearable if somebody like you got cocky.

Lucky that never happens eh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 11157
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Ironcially, most of the college girls in my town seem to like cockiness and arrogance. In fact most of them are both.Stupid and a lot of money is even better. No one likes quiet, shy, and boring unfortunately. It is a sad world indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Posts: 62
Location: Aberystwyth, United kingdom
as someone who performs professionally there are a few things I have picked up. Entertainment is everything. The prestige has a great quote on this 'It's all about the prestige'. 'Vanishing something is amazing, but you wouldn't applaud yet'. Technical skills get you somewhere but people aren't concerned about that. My girlfriend usually sees the tricks before they get released and when I perform a trick to her I dont usually do all the patter (if im in a rush). She loses interest in it, but she loves me so its OK. But if I do the whole patter and think about what I'm saying and how I'm doing it she is kept entertained and loves the trick.

Audience members forget how a trick is done if the patter is good enough. you can get through anything if you are just confident and one thing you will learn with time is its all about presentation.

And regarding the number of tricks he has, many professional magicians only carry around with them 7-10 tricks on average. The reason. It is better to know 10 tricks perfectly then 100 tricks poorly. It doesnt matter if you can do lots of tricks, but if you dont learn them well enough to do them in your sleep then the audience wont be entertained.

Oh and finally, I use cardtoon in my routines and it works really well, people are entertained by the story


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 224
Location: Sydney, Australia
.

I know this feeling well, i have had it before. You see some complete plonker come up and do some absurdly child-like routine to the point you cringe and everybody you are with freaks out and loves it.
I got over it.

It is frustrating but i kind of have to agree with many of the other posters who say "too bad, he was entertaining and got $20 and you didn't".
Then again, if he sucked, that might have been the only tip he got that night. But still, he is up there.

But don't give up, if you think you are better, then think about how many MORE tips YOU could get if you showed your skills. Don't be frustrated, be inspired.
If you want the attention and adulation this magician got, then go out and get it. If you want people to see quality magic then either show them yourself of point them to where they can see it.

If however, you want to be an armchair critic then that is okay as well. I do it everytime i see a movie i think was directed horribly despite the fact i couldn't direct an abstract, art-house muppet movie if i tried.

m.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 395
Location: In Your Mind!!!!!!!
My 2 cents for what it is worth is, that you should be happy knowing how the trick is done and hopefully can preform it yourself. This operatunity is in my opinion better than a mirror or video camera. See how it really looks to a spectator. Plus as you say he flashed a few cards during the invisible deck. Did he FLASH them or did you see them because you knew what to look for. And I have to agree with the group that you may know how the tricks are done but you are not eating dinner at the Noblezada Experience are you? Other people were probably astounded because they had no knowledge of magic. You did so you think you got cheated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 1435
sirbrad wrote:
Ironcially, most of the college girls in my town seem to like cockiness and arrogance. In fact most of them are both.Stupid and a lot of money is even better. No one likes quiet, shy, and boring unfortunately. It is a sad world indeed.


Great..Thanks, Brad...You just revealed one of their secrets. :evil: Now they have to go and change the rules again. Grr. :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 395
Location: In Your Mind!!!!!!!
:twisted: I hate preps or what we would call social people! :twisted: So now I have a non existent social life, spend all my time on Penguin Magic and at home practicing tricks! Ugh! I just had the thought that if people knew I was a Magician I would become popular because I could show magic to people who don't know the difference between a DL and a HS!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:04 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 1525
Personality can be more important than what tricks you do, and no matter how simple a trick, there is always room for improvement, and watching a more or less experienced magician's performance can help us achieve near perfection by learning better techniques or avoiding the common mistakes. What that guy lacked in magic, he certainly made up for with personality if he got a $20 tip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2713
Its not how good you do a DL or second deal, or backpalm or if you have these crazy good tricks that make people scream and jump back out of their seats. its how good you connect with the audience. Dont be upset. not many people have seen a real life magician perform tricks for them up close. so of course they will be shocked and tip him. Ive had returning customers that still tip me. I still think it is my presentational skills. not these big giant tricks. every trick will fool somebody.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
PatrickS wrote:
:twisted: I hate preps or what we would call social people! :twisted: So now I have a non existent social life, spend all my time on Penguin Magic and at home practicing tricks! Ugh! I just had the thought that if people knew I was a Magician I would become popular because I could show magic to people who don't know the difference between a DL and a HS!


Patrick, any person can do tricks. It takes a magician to perform effects. You must show your personality, sense of humour, friendliness, during the performance to get the praise and amazement from people.

Work on your social skills instead of your magic for a while and then you will have a fantastic social life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:01 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
paddy wrote:
PatrickS wrote:
:twisted: I hate preps or what we would call social people! :twisted: So now I have a non existent social life, spend all my time on Penguin Magic and at home practicing tricks! Ugh! I just had the thought that if people knew I was a Magician I would become popular because I could show magic to people who don't know the difference between a DL and a HS!


Patrick, any person can do tricks. It takes a magician to perform effects. You must show your personality, sense of humour, friendliness, during the performance to get the praise and amazement from people.

Work on your social skills instead of your magic for a while and then you will have a fantastic social life.


If you have a great sense of humour, you're kind, great personality, it doesn't mean a thing if you can't do the tricks perfectly.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.