View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 am 
Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
paddy wrote:
PatrickS wrote:
:twisted: I hate preps or what we would call social people! :twisted: So now I have a non existent social life, spend all my time on Penguin Magic and at home practicing tricks! Ugh! I just had the thought that if people knew I was a Magician I would become popular because I could show magic to people who don't know the difference between a DL and a HS!

Patrick, any person can do tricks. It takes a magician to perform effects. You must show your personality, sense of humour, friendliness, during the performance to get the praise and amazement from people.

Work on your social skills instead of your magic for a while and then you will have a fantastic social life.

If you have a great sense of humour, you're kind, great personality, it doesn't mean a thing if you can't do the tricks perfectly.

Actually, it means a lot ! Just doesn't mean you are a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:54 pm 
Penguin

For the most part I was being sarcastic. But Paddy and Maloney thank you for the tips! Just recently I have gone through and overhauled alot of my effects with new patter,flourishes,etc. Magic is my life but I try my best to have a good social life too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

PatrickS wrote:
For the most part I was being sarcastic. But Paddy and Maloney thank you for the tips! Just recently I have gone through and overhauled alot of my effects with new patter,flourishes,etc. Magic is my life but I try my best to have a good social life too.

My social life is diminishing, so all its going to come to is my magic. There's nothing better for me then performing magic, it gets me up when I'm down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm 
born to perform.

What's a social life? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:49 pm 
born to perform.

MichalAngelo wrote:
What's a social life? :roll:

I really don't know anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 am 
Penguin

It's a myth. Like the blue-backed double facer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
PatrickS wrote:
:twisted: I hate preps or what we would call social people! :twisted: So now I have a non existent social life, spend all my time on Penguin Magic and at home practicing tricks! Ugh! I just had the thought that if people knew I was a Magician I would become popular because I could show magic to people who don't know the difference between a DL and a HS!

Patrick, any person can do tricks. It takes a magician to perform effects. You must show your personality, sense of humour, friendliness, during the performance to get the praise and amazement from people.

Work on your social skills instead of your magic for a while and then you will have a fantastic social life.

Very True!, i can perfrom some of the simpliest effects out their example "Do as I Do", and with the right patter and practise you can make this simple trick turn into a pure miricle

I have seen people perfrom that have no social skills at all and i would have rather them not talk when they perform the effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:40 am 
Penguin

I once got $10.00 for a Scotch and Soda performance from a couple waiting in line to be seated.

I mostly do "push-button" magic (gaff/gimmicks tricks). Not that I lack "skill" I just got lazy over the years..and I'm 45.

It's all about the performance...not the "how"..OK someone prior said the same thing, But it holds true for me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:56 am 
born to perform.

kconnors wrote:
I once got $10.00 for a Scotch and Soda performance from a couple waiting in line to be seated.

I mostly do "push-button" magic (gaff/gimmicks tricks). Not that I lack "skill" I just got lazy over the years..and I'm 45.

It's all about the performance...not the "how"..OK someone prior said the same thing, But it holds true for me too.

I try to stay away from all gimmicks, but hey gimmicks can make you do some unbeleiveable things, and a few gimmicks here and their cant hurt :D

And yes dont we all get lazy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

As an old guy, (I'll be 40 in December), here's what I think:

1. He was working as a magician at that place and at that time. You were not; regardless of how young and talented and knowledgable you THINK you are.

2. Gimmicks or not - he's a working magician. We're all at different skill levels. Are you telling me you NEVER mess any tricks up, that you were born doing magic, that you'll retire from it when you're in your mid-forties to make room for kids who think they know more than you or that you are immature enough to think that utilizing gimmicks to your advantage makes you less of a performer?!

I know some VERY talented magicians who are better than I could ever hope to be and THEY use gimmicked items. Some famous magicians who have made MILLIONS have relied on gimmicks. Gimmicks, in conjunction with good patter and/or good sleights can make for a very, VERY strong effect.

Is a TT a gimmick? Do you not use one because of that? Then you're not too bright. David Copperfield has used them on national television. I doubt that, regardless of how clever and talented you think you are, that you never use gimmicked illusions. And when performing walk-around, perhaps the gimmicks help him better time his performances. They probably minimize mistakes, streamline his act, allow for quicker, more efficient reset, permit him to focus on presentation or crowd control, fit within his script or program better than non-gimmicked illusions he may know and most likely - apparently - were instrumental in landing him the job. ...A job where he was most likely hired by and is paid by someone unfamiliar with magic skill or the use of gimmicked items, but was impressed enough with the illusions that the guy was hired.

Your post ticked me off. My advice to you: Have some respect for a WORKING professional in your field, get off your snotty, arrogant high horse and grow the *#@! up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:18 pm 

Rob, I speak out against gimmicks all the time. Not because they aren't good magic, but because a lot of kids on this forum really believe that a scotch and sode and 2 other gimmicks makes a professional magician out of them.

The have to learn what you mentioned, PERFOMANCE and patter make the magic not the gimmick. Good post, but you'll find that attitude a lot on theses forums.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Contrary to popular belief, I know a magician who has been a full-time professional for 3 years, who only does prop magic with gimmicks, and very little sleight of hand. So it is possible. He does mostly kid's shows but earns a good living with them. Personally I use whatever gets the job done. Don't shun gimmicks, shun those who do not know how to utilize them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, I know a magician who has been a full-time professional for 3 years, who only does prop magic with gimmicks, and very little sleight of hand. So it is possible. He does mostly kid's shows but earns a good living with them. Personally I use whatever gets the job done. Don't shun gimmicks, shun those who do not know how to utilize them.

Thats a really nice post. I mean, what in a kids show do you use that isn't gimmicked. Rope and sponge balls. The rest of the stuff has gimmicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:23 pm 
Penguin

I don't mind gimmicks but if the same effect can be acheived by sleight then why not use that? Gimmicks in most cases leave you dirty and a good sleight,everything is examinable. It's all as Paddy and Rob say. If you can misdirect,use patter and not cause anyone to suspect that's good! But if you are using gimicks to take the easy way out that is bad! Not only does it hurt you in the long run, it also hurt's magic as a whole and your fellow preformers. If you give a spec the idea that everything is a gimmick then no matter who preforms and what they do it was simply a gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

PatrickS wrote:
I don't mind gimmicks but if the same effect can be acheived by sleight then why not use that? Gimmicks in most cases leave you dirty and a good sleight,everything is examinable. It's all as Paddy and Rob say. If you can misdirect,use patter and not cause anyone to suspect that's good! But if you are using gimicks to take the easy way out that is bad! Not only does it hurt you in the long run, it also hurt's magic as a whole and your fellow preformers. If you give a spec the idea that everything is a gimmick then no matter who preforms and what they do it was simply a gimmick.

Check out my essay. http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=81857 You are wrong entirely about gimmicks. In fact they actually require MORE skill to use effectively. Utilizing them with sleights, or combining the two, is as strong as you can get. Duh, why would anyone use a gimmick that could be replaced with a sleight? The fact is however that there are many ingenious gimmicks/gaffs out there that cannot even come close to being replicated via sleight of hand.

If you think otherwise, your knowledge of gimmicks and sleights is very limited. Show me "Presto Printo" with a regular deck of cards and sleight of hand. Not happening. Most "amateurs" assume that sleight of hand is a substitute for gimmicks, and they are easily spotted by those who have actually used both for decades. Any competent performer can switch gimmicks/gaffs in and out with being detected. If your spectators "have an idea" you are using gimmicks, you should not be performing yet. They are not aware of that term, this is known as "magician paranoia," which again only beginners generally suffer from.

Limiting yourself to sleight of hand is just that, limiting...and stupid above all. It is known as "magical masturbation," and usually practiced by hobbyists who are uninformed as to what real magic is about. Not the "method" of accomplishing the miracle, but accomplishing it period—in the most amazing and convenient way possible for the performer. It takes far more skill to use gimmicks effectively, and convincingly than sitting there doing DL's, false counts, and manipulations all day. However neither should be used without the other if you want the strongest magic possible.

I thought sleight of hand was the only way to go too about age 7-10. I am glad I matured and learned how to utilize both without having some stupid bias based on ego, and continue to use both for almost 30 years now. No spec has ever mentioned the term "gimmick" yet. I am a sleight geek at heart, but I am a professional entertainer first...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next