View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restraurants?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:18 am 
Penguin

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum thing. I am a small time magician mainly performing for friends and family. My routine includes color changes, the raven, whirling card, matrix coins, card on roof, stealth pen, svengalli, and force deck. All simple tricks, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info. I was just wondering what is the most reliable/ practical way to make some money. Also my tricks are very simple, I was wondering if you think a routine like this would work in public, if not what should I add?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:12 am 
born to perform.

If i may ask, how old are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:42 am 
Emperor Penguin

You have to remember, it's the presentation that gets the reactions, not the effect. My best advice is to go out there and volunteer at places such as hospitals and nursing homes and such, and get some experience under your belt.

Post subject: Re: Restraurants?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

the808state wrote:
I was just wondering what is the most reliable/ practical way to make some money.
Get a job. Mow some lawns. Shovel snow. Rake leaves. Go to a restaurant and apply as a dishwasher. Look in the newspaper, and look in the job section.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:52 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
the808state wrote:
I was just wondering what is the most reliable/ practical way to make some money.
Get a job. Mow some lawns. Shovel snow. Rake leaves. Go to a restaurant and apply as a dishwasher. Look in the newspaper, and look in the job section.

I'll second that.

If you do want to end up doing magic professionally at some point, it's important to learn how to deal with people. Retail/Customer Service jobs are great for this.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to get a job in a restaurant as a bus boy or server or dishwasher as fallingblood said, and learn how things actually work in a restaurant before trying to perform in one.

As for the magic aspects of your question, pick up the "Live at the Jailhouse!" DVD set and, if you can find it, Kirk Charles's book "The Complete Guide to Restaurant and Walkaround Magic." These are just two good resources; there are many others out there. You can find them if you search the forums.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:21 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
the808state wrote:

Why are you posting something that isn't contributing to the topic? He wants to know how he can make money with his magic tricks, you're not a god at magic so please stop acting like you know everything. You and that other guy are seriously annoying and I just got here. Constantly acting like you are the best. Patty had some good points in the other thread I posted in, so I guess you probably have some valid points, too.

Now, as far as the topic goes I'm 16 and work for a resturaunt called Papa Rollo's, it's a small joint and I work four days a week walking around to the different customers performing tricks. I do simple card tricks with the Stripper deck, spongeballs, two card monte, color monte, and other things such as that.

I recommend getting a book on card tricks, I have a book that teaches 101 Stripper deck tricks which is plenty of card tricks, except learn other things that way you don't bore them doing ONLY card tricks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:46 pm 
Penguin

c0deh4x wrote:
fallingblood wrote:
the808state wrote:

Why are you posting something that isn't contributing to the topic? He wants to know how he can make money with his magic tricks, you're not a god at magic so please stop acting like you know everything. You and that other guy are seriously annoying and I just got here. Constantly acting like you are the best. Patty had some good points in the other thread I posted in, so I guess you probably have some valid points, too.

Now, as far as the topic goes I'm 16 and work for a resturaunt called Papa Rollo's, it's a small joint and I work four days a week walking around to the different customers performing tricks. I do simple card tricks with the Stripper deck, spongeballs, two card monte, color monte, and other things such as that.

I recommend getting a book on card tricks, I have a book that teaches 101 Stripper deck tricks which is plenty of card tricks, except learn other things that way you don't bore them doing ONLY card tricks.

Thanks thats a big help, I'm only 15 and I guess the younger you are, the more skilled you have to be to be taken seriously. I guess ill cool it maybe just perfect routines and try them on the street for awhile. Thanks your help though

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 am 
Emperor Penguin

c0deh4x wrote:
Do you know why I posted here, because I'm contributing. I don't claim to know everything. However, I'm sick of little teenagers, who think just because they have a couple of gimmicked tricks, they deserve to be paid for their magic. He doesn't have the experience, and he hasn't done the research. He simply should not be working in a restaurant (which is the topic of this forum).

Now, you haven't been here long, so you don't see this exact same type of thread over and over again. All he would have had to have done is simply look and he would have seen all of this information already. If he did any type of search, he would have found out what he needs to do. But he didn't. So there is no reason why I should try to help him in getting a job in magic. He doesn't deserve it, because he's not putting the work in. And he's simply not ready.

Also, I answered his question. He asked for the most reliable/practical way to make money. Magic is not reliable. And for him, I doubt it's practical, because he has no experience. He's just some kid who has a couple of gimmicks, and does not deserved to be paid to do them. If he wants money, he can actually get a job. That's practical, and reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 am 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
c0deh4x wrote:
Do you know why I posted here, because I'm contributing. I don't claim to know everything. However, I'm sick of little teenagers, who think just because they have a couple of gimmicked tricks, they deserve to be paid for their magic. He doesn't have the experience, and he hasn't done the research. He simply should not be working in a restaurant (which is the topic of this forum).

Now, you haven't been here long, so you don't see this exact same type of thread over and over again. All he would have had to have done is simply look and he would have seen all of this information already. If he did any type of search, he would have found out what he needs to do. But he didn't. So there is no reason why I should try to help him in getting a job in magic. He doesn't deserve it, because he's not putting the work in. And he's simply not ready.

Also, I answered his question. He asked for the most reliable/practical way to make money. Magic is not reliable. And for him, I doubt it's practical, because he has no experience. He's just some kid who has a couple of gimmicks, and does not deserved to be paid to do them. If he wants money, he can actually get a job. That's practical, and reliable.

AMEN

you said it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:27 am 
Penguin

You're right, and I'm sorry for busting out like that. I come from a forum way different than this and I can understand what you mean by the countless topics asking the same thing. If you want something you work for it, once again I am sorry. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:48 am 
Emperor Penguin

Guardian452 wrote:
fallingblood wrote:
c0deh4x wrote:

AMEN

you said it

Guardian, shut up! :?