View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:12 pm 
Penguin

RobertBloor wrote:
paddy wrote:
On a Friday or Saturday night I will bring in US$200 easily in tips alone, plus my restaurant fee.

Guess wearing that "Tipping ain't a city in China" button really helps, eh? :roll:

fallingblood wrote:
It does add up if you read the whole thing.
10-20 tables an hour.
Average of $5 in tips from each table.
I don't take small tips, so I do give up quite a few $5 tips.
With giving up all of those tips, I still average $100-200 a night.

Wait...you don't "take small tips?" And you consider a $5 spot a "small tip?" This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

WTH? I call BS.

Robert

I second the B.S. call... who the edited passes up money willingly? and you say you AVG $5 a table, so why the edited wouldn't you take a $5 tip if that's your average? Thats just pure insanity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:28 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Maybe he means he passes those on to the help staff. Maybe not. But I agree that refusing tips could be taken as an insult.

Perhaps. But the reason I'm calling BS is the implication that a $5 for 5 or 6 minutes of entertainment is "a small tip." That indicates to me that fallingblood is full of it.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:42 am 
born to perform.

The amount people said they make on this post is probably not true. They make 75% less than what they posted so don't feel bad if you're not making as much as them because neither are they

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:57 am 
Penguin

+1 benji11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:40 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
I second the B.S. call... who the edited passes up money willingly? and you say you AVG $5 a table, so why the edited wouldn't you take a $5 tip if that's your average? Thats just pure insanity

At first I thought you mis read his post but after re-reading it I agree with your comment above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:37 pm 
Penguin

Yes... this is interesting... but i don't want tips frome people... because i get hired from the resturang.. and there i got my money, i get money for the food peoples eating... so then i don't need tips... i don't want to go baggin for money!

Kalle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:30 am 
Penguin

Yeah mostly you make enough money to not have to worry about tips
I am yet to get into restaurant magic, but there is a guy who works locally here in Ohio, at
A place called applebees, they used to pay him I think 100.00 an hour,
Which is pretty good money. I think he also gave what tips he got to the servers of the tables he got them from because ultimately if we take a tip on top if the fee we are just taking money from the servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:21 am 

forreststone wrote:
Yeah mostly you make enough money to not have to worry about tips
I am yet to get into restaurant magic, but there is a guy who works locally here in Ohio, at
A place called applebees, they used to pay him I think 100.00 an hour,
Which is pretty good money. I think he also gave what tips he got to the servers of the tables he got them from because ultimately if we take a tip on top if the fee we are just taking money from the servers.

WRONG again, Forreststone. I get paid by the restaurants I work at plus I take tips. The servers at every restaurant I have worked (that's been for 10 years now) have all told the managers that their tips were HIGHER when I'm there.

The reason is that I entertain the customers, especially families with children, while they are waiting for the food. When I am at the table the time seems to go faster for the customer because they are not just sitting and waiting they are involved with the magic. A happy customer is more likely to leave a larger tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:47 pm 

mccormick83 wrote:
RobertBloor wrote:
paddy wrote:
On a Friday or Saturday night I will bring in US$200 easily in tips alone, plus my restaurant fee.

Guess wearing that "Tipping ain't a city in China" button really helps, eh? :roll:

fallingblood wrote:
It does add up if you read the whole thing.
10-20 tables an hour.
Average of $5 in tips from each table.
I don't take small tips, so I do give up quite a few $5 tips.
With giving up all of those tips, I still average $100-200 a night.

Wait...you don't "take small tips?" And you consider a $5 spot a "small tip?" This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

WTH? I call BS.

Robert

Actually, that's not unrealistic depending on the type of restaurant you are in. I have routinely accepted the $5 tips but then discreetly turned them over to the wait staff. Anything larger than the $5, I tend to keep, and I still go home with a significant amount of money each night (ten and twenty dollar tips are not unheard of in some restaurants).

The great benefit of this approach is that the staff will now really be on your side and they will really try to promote you at their tables. Not only do they get extra tips from the customers, but additional tips directly from the magician.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:58 pm 
born to perform.

Im one of those people that doesnt like to accept tips, its just a personal thing with how i view it, i accept if nessecary, but in general dont. I charge over the average with an agreement of no tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:13 pm 
Penguin

It's been about three months since I posted this topic. Since then, my tips have increased significantly. I have tried on occasion to pass some tips on to the wait staff, but they absolutely refuse to accept additional tips from me. So, I did eventually give up trying to pass the tips over to them, and I am keeping my tips, but I try to always put in a good word to the table about their server, in hopes the server will make a larger tip. My tips are usually a $5 or $3 tip per table, with some tables tipping $10 and several tables not tipping at all. (After working at the restaurant for six months, I've received a total of three $20 tips.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm 
Penguin

i usually make 50 bucks in a nights work through tips but this is after i give some to the waiters for helping me out say if the tell me of a table that is interested in seeing me perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DINOTECH wrote:
Quote:

At first I thought you mis read his post but after re-reading it I agree with your comment above.

Lol, yeah I am still waiting for an answer on that one. So I guess he averages offers of $5 per table, but turns it down and basically goes home with nothing.

I can't believe they were placed together as well in the same sentence.

"Average of $5 in tips from each table.
I don't take small tips, so I do give up quite a few $5 tips."

:lol: :?: :?:

If you would stop turning down those "small tips" you would be averaging $50 or more per table. That is not very smart business savvy.

Last edited by sirbrad on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

benji11 wrote:
The amount people said they make on this post is probably not true. They make 75% less than what they posted so don't feel bad if you're not making as much as them because neither are they

Yes, that is why on here I am making $4,000 for one birthday party, and $100 per table in restaurants, and $20 in tips. You do the math.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

Also it would be impossible to average $5 per table and not take "small $5 tips." You need to take $8 one table, $3 another, $7 another, $2 another etc. If you average $5 a table and do not take $5, you will average ZERO amount! If you do not take small $5 tips, then you must average about $10 and up per table, assuming everyone tips, which is not the case. Not sure what Fallingblood was thinking here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next