View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
Also it would be impossible to average $5 per table and not take "small $5 tips." You need to take $8 one table, $3 another, $7 another, $2 another etc. If you average $5 a table and do not take $5, you will average ZERO amount! If you do not take small $5 tips, then you must average about $10 and up per table, assuming everyone tips, which is not the case. Not sure what Fallingblood was thinking here.

Table 1 :5 dollars(refused)
Table 2 :5 dollars(refused)
Table 3 :5 dollars(refused)
Table 4 :10 dollars(accepted)
Table 5 :15 dollars(accepted)

Total refused:10 dollars
Total money made: 25 dollars

Average money per table: 5 Dollars

So it's Possible right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:40 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Umm yeah, but highly unlikely because it still makes no sense. Why would you accept $10 at one table, and refuse $5 at 3 other tables, thus equaling $15? That would be blatant stupidity, and you obviously are NOT doing magic for a living. Even a kid living at home would take $5 tips. They add up big later, and will earn you far more money in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Yeah I'm totall with you on this. Why refuse money? That is only 5 tables, and you've already made an extra $15. Not think if you could do 20 tables in an hour, then that's $60 extra then what you would have gotten, and besides if you refused the tip wouldn't that kind of be rude? I never have refused a tip at all of my table hopping jobs...it just seems rude...

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:19 pm 
born to perform.

pookie wrote:
sirbrad wrote:
Also it would be impossible to average $5 per table and not take "small $5 tips." You need to take $8 one table, $3 another, $7 another, $2 another etc. If you average $5 a table and do not take $5, you will average ZERO amount! If you do not take small $5 tips, then you must average about $10 and up per table, assuming everyone tips, which is not the case. Not sure what Fallingblood was thinking here.

So it's Possible right?

WOAH WOAH WOAH! Who let the mathematician in here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

pookie wrote:
sirbrad wrote:

So it's Possible right?

lol, since when does that equal 10 dollars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

LOL, yeah exactly. I guess that table really wanted to make up for his other refusals. :lol: What nice customers! Well since this magician is an idiot, we will make up for his losses! Yes you are darn right it would be rude. If you are relying on magic to put bread on the table, you ain't going to be pushing money back.

This just makes you look like a pompous jerk, and implying that your customers/audience's money is not good enough for you, and they are "cheap." You are far better off performing for free in this case, and taking NO tips period. This type of attitude could even cost you your job, and LOWER your tips overall. Many would rather not tip you at all if they know you are going to refuse what they can afford.

So what if 8 people all offered you $5 at a large table? You going to turn them all down one by one?

Turning down 8 people at one table -$40.00
Turning down 60 people who offered $5 tips the whole night -$300.00
Complete and udder stupidity -Priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 pm 

pookie wrote:

So it's Possible right?

Hold it one minute Total refused is not $10 it is $15 (Tables 1, 2, &3 = 3 tables @$5) Then you get $25 from 3 tables. OK this averages $5 a table, however, this scenario doesn't happen that often. Plus you have just urinated off three tables worth of people. Now if you're lucky these people just won't come back. But they very well may go to the manager or to corporate and gripe about the ungrateful little SOB that wouldn't accept a $5 because it was too small. Then you're looking for another restaurant plus your reputation for upsetting customers will be at every restaurant you go to.

Way to burn good gigs for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:58 am 
Penguin

What do you do with $1 tips? Does anyone turn them down? What if someone dug some loose change out of their pockets and tried to give it to you as a tip? Would you turn it down? What if it really was all the person could afford? I'd never turn down a $5 tip though, I don't live in Malibu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:39 am 
Emperor Penguin

I should probably explain what I do better. The reason I average $5 a table is because even though I turn down a lot of small tips ($1's-5's), I still do except some of those, simply because the people insist. I don't just flat out refuse tips. I explain that I'm being paid by the restaurant, and they don't need to tip me. However, there are still quite a few people who do insist on tipping. At every table I go to, I explain that I'm hired by the restaurant, and the service I'm bringing is free of charge. I do this because I've found that in the area that I work at, it is the easiest and most effective way to approach tables. Which allows me to decline tips without offending anyone. It also gives me the perfect timing to introduce my business card.

My purpose at a restaurant is to bring home new gigs, and contacts. I still make a nice amount from the restaurant, but I'm not worried about making the money there. Which is why I will decline tips. I've also found that if I decline tips, the wait-staff ends up being tipped more. That's just the case I've found out in my area. I know it's different in other areas, but if I decline tips, the customers usually leave them for the waiters. Which makes them happier, and they cooperate with me a lot better.

So, I should have explained my position much better. But I've never had a bad experience with the way I go about collecting tips. I've never had a complaint, and I get many of the same customers back to see me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:39 pm 

Falling, I do accept tips and the wait staff still has higher tips when I'm there. Last Fri I was at Joe's Crab Shack for my usual gig. as I left one of the waitresses came up a kissed me. Right on the lips. Then gave me a hug and said "Thanks." That one threw me, never had it happen before. Turned out one of the tables I entertained at gave her a $25 tip and told her they really enjoyed my show.

Sometime the fringe benefits are BODACIOUS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:00 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Falling, I do accept tips and the wait staff still has higher tips when I'm there. Last Fri I was at Joe's Crab Shack for my usual gig. as I left one of the waitresses came up a kissed me. Right on the lips. Then gave me a hug and said "Thanks." That one threw me, never had it happen before. Turned out one of the tables I entertained at gave her a $25 tip and told her they really enjoyed my show.

Sometime the fringe benefits are BODACIOUS!!!

Hahaha thats fantastic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:05 pm 
born to perform.

I dont take the tips, I say instead, would you let your waiter know that they had a great time with the magic, and to let the manager know that aswell. That way you can get a raise, or even keep your job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:
I dont take the tips, I say instead, would you let your waiter know that they had a great time with the magic, and to let the manager know that aswell. That way you can get a raise, or even keep your job.
Do you even do restaurant work? I have a contract with every restaurant that I do. I'm hired with them usually for 6 months. And after four months, my contract can be reviewed, and usually it ends with my time at the restaurant being extended. So it doesn't seem like you know quite what you're talking about.

Paddy- That's fantastic. I can't say that's ever happened to me. I do see what you're saying though. And I know in other parts of the country, it's true. I've done a little work in South Dakota, and I accepted all tips there. And it worked great. But from my experience here, the people are just a little too stingy. When I first started here, I took all tips. And it didn't seem to work out as well because customers didn't want to tip the waiters as much. Which is why I started declining smaller tips, as those were the people I figured didn't want to part with as much money. But the tables who do insist on tipping, on tip higher; do tip the waiters higher as well, just like you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

fallen, yes i do work. And with what you said, I may be wrong but getting a contract is very risky because if that restaurant burns down (or somthing happens to it) they are resposible for you getting paid (if the contract isn't expired yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:00 pm 
born to perform.

What are you on about. For one the chances of that are close to zero, Two, you get paid per night anyway, the contract only ensures you are there every week.

Not having a contract is the most stupid thing iv seen, what if they decide not to pay you? No guarantee they will use you again.

For someone that does restaurants, you are very immature and seem to lack sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next