View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slightly Nervous
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:34 pm 
Penguin

Ok well heres the deal.I used to perform magic gigs when i was 16. but havn't done since.
Im now 19 and iv agreed to perform walkaround magic for upto 200 people as a favour to a friend.
Now im confident in performing magic, once i get going im more relaxed than a sleeping policeman. Its more approaching people that I seem to lack confidence in. As i havnt really perfomed magic publically for several years. Any advise of which either getting peoples attention or just generally approaching people would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:10 pm 

Yes, turn down the job@! You haven't practiced in THREE YEARS and you think you can perform in front of 200 people. I give you less than 5 minutes before your first flash. To do this will destroy your reputation, both as a magician and also as an "honest person." No one will dare believe anything you say after you embarrass the person who hired you to entertain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:18 pm 
Penguin

please read what I wrote. I dont lack any performance altitude. what i stated was that i cant remember what the best way to approach someone is.
performing magic isn't a problem with me, ive never stopped practising magic and Ive yet to 'flash' or be found out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:48 pm 

I did read what you wrote.
Quote:
Ok well heres the deal.I used to perform magic gigs when i was 16. but havn't done since.
Im now 19 and iv agreed to perform walkaround magic for upto 200 people as a favour to a friend.

Seems to me, at least what I understand you saying is that you have not done any magic in THREE YEARS. I know that I read American English and you may be writing a different form of English, but the words "when i was 16. but havn't done since. Im now 19 " leads me to belive that my first post was and still is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:59 pm 
Penguin

ok.

Well to add to my typing error.

What i meant to say was I havnt performed a gig for 3 years

Ive still performed to people and practised every day that i can.
Would be nice if you could contribute to the main topic that I need help with. As I didnt ask for any thoughts on if I should perform at all or not.
I merely want advise on the approach.
If you have no advise for me

dont comment

I dont log on to argue with people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:16 pm 

I am not argueing with you, I am telling it as I see it. In truth I don't understand the question at all. If you have been performing for these intermitant years, isn't the approach part of your routine? It should have been included.

If you're there as the headliner you'll have a parlour show in addition to the walk around, in that case you'll be introduced as such and that will solve the problem. If you are doing just walk around then as you come up to the group simple state "Hi I'm (whatever your name is,) the house magician tonight and proceed into your bit. Just remember to be very careful with the patter. What may seem fine to you may have undertones to some people. As Red Skelton said "act as if your grandmother and six nuns are in every audience."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:24 pm 
Penguin

ok fair doos

thanks for the tip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:43 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Any advise of which either getting peoples attention or just generally approaching people would be great.

Yep. Don't listen to Paddy. He's old and cranky and doesn't think anybody is ready to perform. Right, Padster?

tricx,

Make sure you're rehearsed on your performance. As for approaching people, just walk up and introduce yourself. Really is that easy.

Here's another idea - for your first set, find the guy who hired you. Ask him if he'd mind introducing you to a few folks. Make sure you perform for the booker.

Use that to get comfortable. Talk to the folks. Enjoy your time. If you're confidant and energetic, people will be attracted to you.

Good luck. Have fun.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 am 
Penguin

Performing is like riding a bike, granted after 3 years anyone is bound to be a little rusty but with a lil spit and polish you'll be fine... my advice is to practice in a bar or even at work if you are in an office just to get the feel for it back... going up to people especially during a walk around is obviously important, but you don't NEED to... grab a pair of D'Lites and make them come to you... walk up to the EXIT sign and pull the light out, toss it around and throw it back in... by the time you turn around there will be at least 5 or 6 people who will be curious about what just happened and much more approachable.... then produce a few sponge balls from the air or behind and ear and you're ready to go

hope it all works out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 pm 
Penguin

Right. Grab D'Lites. Cause nothing says professional like the Kaybe Toys special.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 pm 
Penguin

cheers for the advise guys

I spoke to the booker today and He said he'll stick posters around the place advertising me aswell as doing shout outs on the radio

shud be good :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:43 pm 
Penguin

Let us know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:12 am 
Penguin

tricx said:
Quote:
I spoke to the booker today and He said he'll stick posters around the place advertising me aswell as doing shout outs on the radio

by radio i meant microphone aha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:01 pm 
Penguin

Practice..always practice till you have it down pat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Yep. Don't listen to Paddy. He's old and cranky and doesn't think anybody is ready to perform. Right, Padster?

Oh my god that is hilarious.