View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The World's Best Restaurant Advice!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:26 am 
Team Penguin

As the title states, this post contains the world's best restaraunt and bar advice for walk around magicians. I can say it in two words... Dan Fleshman. I recently went to a lecture of his and what he told me completely changed the way I think about resturaunt work. I am only 13, so legally I am not allowed to accept money for working restaraunts yet, but he made me want to more than ever. Next year I will work restaurants, but as I said, this is the world's best restaraunt advice, so that is BUY DAN'S DVD's and if you are fortunate enough to attend one of his lectures, buy his book, Working restaraunts for fun and profit. I have a signed copy of it, and in it he shares several, several ways of generating tips, negotiating higher fees, how to get hired in the first place, pocket managment, what types of tables there are, how to aproach all types of tables, things like that. I think on his website you can email him to order the book, but I am not sure. This is my view on the whole restaraunt seen and everything, so... hoped that helped! Please buy his stuff! Everything on his DVD's are gems, and you will use them, either for trade shows, kids shows, private parties, cruise ships, and most importantly, restaraunts and bars! Hope this helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:37 pm 

I went to his site and then to Elmwood Magic which sells the DVDs. I am very happy that you were impressed. After examining the DVDs I found that they were totally overpriced and overrated. $84 for the set of 3 or $34.95 each for simple tricks that you can learn from other DVDs of at your local ring meetings.

I do 2 versions of the "close up linking rings, one cost me $90 for a set of 4" rings. It is the standard set of 8 rings and I use either 3 or 4 of them depending on which routine I perform. I also have a set of three 10" rings that I use to do Chris Capehart's 3 ring routine where I crash link and unlink them within 6 inches of a person's face. Never been caught yet and for the kids who say "Iknow how to do that!" After I link and unlink the rings right in front of them they all say "How did he do that, I watched and couldn't see it. I thought there was a hole in one of the rings but there isn't."

Sorry I know that meeting one of us "REAL MAGICIANS" can impress a 13 year old, but we really are just plain people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 pm 
Team Penguin

I may only be 13, but to me, Dan Fleshman is an inspiration and all his DVD's and books have excellent effects that you can't learn in other places. The linking ring routine is also only a bonus, so I am still quite unsure as to why you would make a big deal out of how it is bad, which its not. He is a great magician and an excellent restaraunt performer. I have no idea how you can possibly come off as acting as I am some random 13 year old just doing magic as a hobby. Just because I am young doesn't mean I haven't studied magic! Do you even have the DVD's or did you just read the description and say that they are bad DVDs? I dare anyone on this forum to buy those and see if they come out with the same reaction you did. To your comment about how it could be found on other DVD's, have you ever seen his Ring and String Routine or The Fleshman Flash on another DVD? I sincerely doubt it. Oh, and that is pretty much the standard price of DVD's in the magic world! I actually attended his lecture in a Ring Meeting, and all of the other people there, magicians who had been doing magic for over 30 years were stunned by his presentation and magic! Even after he left, everyone was amazed and practicing the magic he taught. I still don't see where you come off saying that they are overpriced because it has a linking ring routine bonus that is in other places! Post back and actually give good reasons about why they are overpriced, that is if you have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
..... all his DVD's and books have excellent effects that you can't learn in other places...

I dont know for sure as I do not own his stuff, but this is probably not true. Just about any DVD that you will find does not have new effects. It could have a new VERSION of an old effect, but its most likely based on something. I went to a shoot ogawa lecture and boy was it amazing! We asked him where he came up with some of the tricks and he said one word. Tarbell.

If you read the 8 (i think its 8, might be more) volume book series. then you really will become an expert in magic.

I am not saying that Dan Fleshman is bad because i honestly have no idea as i have never seen him. But, just letting you konw that you can find stuff in other places.

Lectures are always fun!

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 pm 

Dan Fleshman is a great performer. That's why he was also chosen to be on the "Live at the Jailhouse" DVD with other restaurant workers of equal caliber.

He's not the only one out there, he's not the best, nor is all his material original. Not many of us can claim that. But, I'm glad you like him and keep working at. One of these days you may be there and someone will be talking about you the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:44 pm 

Popchris wrote:
I may only be 13, but to me, Dan Fleshman is an inspiration and all his DVD's and books have excellent effects that you can't learn in other places. The linking ring routine is also only a bonus, so I am still quite unsure as to why you would make a big deal out of how it is bad, which its not. He is a great magician and an excellent restaraunt performer. I have no idea how you can possibly come off as acting as I am some random 13 year old just doing magic as a hobby. Just because I am young doesn't mean I haven't studied magic! . ...

As I said earlier you are obviously immature and unknowledgeable about the art of magic. You got your brasserie in a bunch because I said his DVDs are not worth the price, and they aren't. I never said, not in any way did I imply that Dan is not a great performer, I said his DVDs don't teach anything new, just how he eprforms each trick. I do a ring and string effect, and a linking ring effect, That is all I said NOT that Dan's was bad.

$39.95 is NOT the standard price for DVDs in the magic world. I pay $29.95 for most of mine, some as high as $34.95 and I have sets of 2 DVDs that I paid $50 for.

To get back to your age, I have been eprforming magic longer than you have been alive. I have been a full time professional magician for 10 years. dan and I have performed at the Magic Castle at the same time. Not together but in different rooms. Learn to read English as it is written, not reading so you can be offended when someone points out a flaw in your reasoning. just because you're wrong on this doesn't make you, or Dan bad.

Last edited by paddy on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:01 am 
born to perform.

[Complaint about editing deleted]
1: PLI
2: Labour Laws
3: Wont be taken seriously
4: Not worth the money
5: You dont have the experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:07 pm 

benlewis2004 wrote:
1: PLI
2: Labour Laws
3: Wont be taken seriously
4: Not worth the money
5: You dont have the experience

What does any of this have to do with Dan Fleshman? We're talking about Dan, remember? Also, keep the insults to yourself and they won't get deleted like they were last time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:34 pm 
Team Penguin

Sorry Paddy. The way you came off seemed to me that you were telling me that I had no idea what I was talking about in the magic world. I just wanted to state my opinion about if someone wanted to learn about restaraunt magic, they should go to Dan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:10 pm 
born to perform.

It was his statement of starting restaurants next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:14 pm 
Penguin

benlewis2004 wrote:
[Complaint about editing deleted]

Hahahahaha.

I'm 13 too, but I definitally won't be starting restuarant's until around 18, maybe 17.

This year I'm gonna get out my "born to peform." shirt and do some card tricks at my local town "Suffield on the Green." Like a town fair, but less hillbilly. I'm only gonna walk around, not paid or anything, just to see how people react to my tricks and to learn a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:49 pm 
born to perform.

Few tips:

Dont wear your btp shirt, you will look stupid. Also try and get a actual gig with family or friends, do it for free, its better than hit and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 pm 
Penguin

Kay. *pulls Metallica shirt off rack*

What do you mean by a famliy gig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm 
Team Penguin

I have done walkaround so many times before, unpaid. I have done it for family, and friends, dozens of times. I am just waiting till I turn 14. The restaraunt I am hoping to work for used to have a magician that soon left the country, and that worked really well for them. Also, one of my friends sister is the assistant manager. I am hoping to have fun, and get paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

But you are not legally allowed.

Answer this:

Do you have PLI? If not dont go within 10 metres of an audience.