View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Torn and Restored
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:13 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, I'm back with another question about my routine! :D

In the "Advice" portion of the Penguin Magic Forums, I inquired about what Torn and Restored effect I should get if I want to do walkaround/restaurant work. The responses were great, and I received links to a myriad of different effects. My question to you is: What effect would/did you select as your Torn and Restored card effect for your restaurant gig? I have limited experience with Torn and Restored card effects, but I feel like it has a place in one of the routines I am cooking up. The following list is the overall responses I received about the different effects:

Suggested:

Tearibble Sessions (Ben Williams)
T&R Project (Huron Low)
Torn & Restored (J.C. Wagner)
Ultimate Rip-Off (Paul Harris)
Torn and Restored Transpo (David Williamson)

Not So Suggested:

Torn (Daniel Garcia)
Torn Too (Daniel Garcia)
TnR (Mathieu Bich)
Torn But Not Forgotten (Anthony Miller)

From what I've been told, I should avoid the Daniel Garcia effects. Also, I've been told that TnR by Mathieu Bich is way to gimmicked to be practical in the restaurant. I received absolutely no feedback on Torn But Not Forgotten, so I am going to assume that it's out of the question.

All of the one's in the suggested column that I looked up (which wasn't too many, because I am currently getting the internet in a hotel lobby, which blocks youtube and other such websites) seemed like stellar effects. I'm just wondering what you guys use for your routines, and if you suggest any of those in the list.

Thanks again!

-Austin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:21 pm 
Team Penguin

Torn But Not Forgotten would be horrid for restaurant work. I would go with Heat Therapy or Spidercard by Jay Sankey or maybe John Lovicks. I have heard many good things about John Lovicks whos name escapes me. Also, I have heard good things about Holy Grail. Hope That Helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07 pm 
born to perform.

I use 2 of the effects from TEARable Sessions, and I'm going to start using the third next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:35 am 
Penguin

Paul Harris's "The Uncut Version" (Art of Astonishment, Vol. 2) seems like it would be well-suited for restaurants. You heal two cards that have been torn across the middle. What makes this restaurant-friendly is that it's reasonably impromptu (there's a one time setup), the deck ends clean, you're instantly reset, and the angles (so far as I could gather from skimming the book) are good.

The John Lovick effect is called "Reparation." It's a good effect, but the prep work, mechanics, angles and time length make it a bit prohibitive for restaurant work I would think---although Lovick says on the DVD that he has used it in such a setting.

Williamson's T&R Transpo is good. Lots of magic and spectator involvement going on. Only downside is you destroy two duplicate cards with each performance :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 pm 
Penguin

i know how torntoo works. I wont lie, it may be hard to do, which is why i cut the routine by alot. IF you practice it, it will be your best trick. Its also very fun to do, still having problems preforming it, mainly because i bought the book, i wish i got the video (i heard its over a hour long, he REALLY goes over things). Daniel garcia effects (all of them as a whole) ARE GREAT! They may be tough to pull off, but when you can do them you'll have a great peice of art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm 
born to perform.

nickyd8 wrote:
i know how torntoo works. I wont lie, it may be hard to do, which is why i cut the routine by alot. IF you practice it, it will be your best trick. Its also very fun to do, still having problems preforming it, mainly because i bought the book, i wish i got the video (i heard its over a hour long, he REALLY goes over things). Daniel garcia effects (all of them as a whole) ARE GREAT! They may be tough to pull off, but when you can do them you'll have a great peice of art.

Really?
I thought the effect was incredibly easy.

I don't buy Garcia's videos, everything he does can usually be learned elsewhere if you try to look - and most of his effects are either not practical or they're way too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

Holy Grail looks REALLY good. He shows both sides of the card repeatedly.

Cornered By Mark Mason is pretty eye-popping and visual. I hear it's not the best though.

Unripped looks great, but i hear there is a hella lotta setup and Gared is even more boring than gerry Griffin.

TnR and torn have similar gimmicks, i'd vote Torn because its simpler to construct and it can be done quicker.

Torn Too looks not so bad, it says there's no cover, but he covers the corner with his thumb anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 pm 
born to perform.

Ummm I have Color Fusion by Eric James

Although its not a Full restoration ( but can be one ), it is nice and you have the signature on the card it is ripped up and then the card piece by piece changes colour, and in the end they have a souvinier of a card with 3 parts red and 1 part blue and the rip matches, signature matches everything matches, and you can give them the card with NO FEAR of them find out how it works :D

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 pm 
Penguin

orcishorde wrote:
Ummm I have Color Fusion by Eric James

Although its not a Full restoration ( but can be one ), it is nice and you have the signature on the card it is ripped up and then the card piece by piece changes colour, and in the end they have a souvinier of a card with 3 parts red and 1 part blue and the rip matches, signature matches everything matches, and you can give them the card with NO FEAR of them find out how it works :D

Anthony

Color Fusion wouldn't really be a T&R effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 am 
born to perform.

I recommend Torn Too for walk-around magic. Why? you might ask. Well, it has instant reset, which is vital for table hopping. It's also visual, and not too difficult. I have A LOT of T&R Cards, and I found piece by piece restorations aren't as good, or as practical, as the T&R Corner. Torn Too is a great buy for that kind of magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 am 
Penguin

As you may know, resetability and angles are KEY here.

Williamson's T&R Transpo doesn't make the cut, since you destroy TWO duplicates in each performance. That's twice as much as Torn Too, plus the card can't be signed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:52 am 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
nickyd8 wrote:

Really?
I thought the effect was incredibly easy.

I don't buy Garcia's videos, everything he does can usually be learned elsewhere if you try to look - and most of his effects are either not practical or they're way too long.

Same here, i don't really like him. Some of his effects are interesting, but i'm just don't feel that i'm going to perfrom any of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

Phantomico2 wrote:
As you may know, resetability and angles are KEY here.

Williamson's T&R Transpo doesn't make the cut, since you destroy TWO duplicates in each performance. That's twice as much as Torn Too, plus the card can't be signed.

If you are doing Torn Too properly (not necessarally Garcia's way) you shouldn't need to destroy ANY duplicates in performance.

Don't get me wrong, Torn Too is a great effect - I just don't like the fact that Garcia is selling yet another thing he didn't invent.