View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm 
born to perform.

creecy wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
To impress a manager:

No business card effects - that just makes you an infomercial.

Wrong! You have to give them a business card...you might as well make it something special. I do it everytime I hand one out. It's called "Hot Leads". You pull out your business card on FIRE and then hand it to them un-burned. However, you better be extremely comfortable and experienced with this one before attempting it in a public building.

Ok, maybe that's not a good one unless you already do it.

I still say that if you can present your business card in a magical way, then it gives purpose for you giving it to them.

Amateur mistake.

You don't give the manager a business card. If you have intention of being hired, you likely made an appointment to talk to him. If you did that, you likely sent a promotional package ahead already - that's just how the business works.

As for fire - terrible advice. If you want to turn a manager off really fast - produce open flames in his place of business. This is especially true in states where candles and smoking have been banned from use in restaurants due to inhilation issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:25 pm 

Creecy, let the kiddies do the "hot Leads" to a manager. then take bets on how long their butts will be in the air as they get kick out the door. Using fire is a sure fired way to lose the job before it begins. Yes, I know that Kozmo does it in "At The Jailhouse" but remember that when they made that DVD they were in a closed restaurant demonstrating effects with actors as "customers." In the real world if you set off flash paper you could cause someone to scream and startle other customers. Then the fun begins and your job ends.

This is THE REAL WORLD, not a screen set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Creecy, let the kiddies do the "hot Leads" to a manager. then take bets on how long their butts will be in the air as they get kick out the door. Using fire is a sure fired way to lose the job before it begins. Yes, I know that Kozmo does it in "At The Jailhouse" but remember that when they made that DVD they were in a closed restaurant demonstrating effects with actors as "customers." In the real world if you set off flash paper you could cause someone to scream and startle other customers. Then the fun begins and your job ends.

Great advice from paddy - as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:11 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
Amateur mistake.

You don't give the manager a business card. If you have intention of being hired, you likely made an appointment to talk to him. If you did that, you likely sent a promotional package ahead already - that's just how the business works.

As for fire - terrible advice. If you want to turn a manager off really fast - produce open flames in his place of business. This is especially true in states where candles and smoking have been banned from use in restaurants due to inhilation issues.

I'll have to agree with you about the "Amateur mistake" comment. If an amateur performs this, it could very well be a mistake. However, not being an amateur, I have done it as an opening after explaining to a manager/owner why I'm there or even if I just happened to be there for dinner or something. It is a great eye-opener.

As for appointments, if it is a chain restaurant, good luck on getting an appointment with someone at the restaurant who has the power to actually make a decision about hiring a magician. But you're correct, if at all possible, it would be best to have an appointment. But again, how is that appointment going to be made without meeting them in person first?

All-in-all I agree that fire is not a good idea in a public place. However, it works for me and I take all the necessary precautions as I am all too familiar with fire and its capabilities.

creecy wrote:
Ok, maybe that's not a good one unless you already do it.

I still say that if you can present your business card in a magical way, then it gives purpose for you giving it to them.

Keep in mind that I wasn't advising him to do "Hot Leads". I was saying that I use that and there are no mistakes when I do it. I was also saying that you wouldn't want to do that unless you are extremely aware an familiar with its capabilitys (in so many words). Even if it is not fire, I still say that performing an effect with your business card is a good idea. And there is nothing wrong with giving them another business card even if they already have one from before.

paddy wrote:

Paddy,

You're right about scaring customers/owners or making managers feel uncomfortable. However, I think there are some restaurant atmospheres that it works perfect for (at least in my experience), though some of them won't necessarily be your family with kids style restaurants. Anyway, good advice about the fire and I should have thought about it before I posted.

NO FIRE! IT'S NOT GOOD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:02 pm 
born to perform.

creecy wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
Amateur mistake.

I'll have to agree with you about the "Amateur mistake" comment. If an amateur performs this, it could very well be a mistake. However, not being an amateur, I have done it as an opening after explaining to a manager/owner why I'm there or even if I just happened to be there for dinner or something. It is a great eye-opener.

Yes, that's regularly referred to as the "Ambush Method". Efective, but rather low class. You're essentially asking the manager to make a descision right now in a public setting - putting him on the spot is a bad idea and will typically shorten your stay at the establishment.

creecy wrote:
As for appointments, if it is a chain restaurant, good luck on getting an appointment with someone at the restaurant who has the power to actually make a decision about hiring a magician. But you're correct, if at all possible, it would be best to have an appointment. But again, how is that appointment going to be made without meeting them in person first?

1: Send promotional kit.
2: Call ahead and ask to meet with them today to discuss it.
3: Show up.

Getting work at chain restaurants isn't hard - if you know what you're doing. Many entertainers shy away from chains because of the beurocratic nature of the business; but the fact is the manager has the final say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:02 pm 
Penguin

Sankey says.....Just one of his ideas...not mine.

Mail the Mgr. an Invisible Deck...seal it with instructions NOT to open it.

Call the Mgr. and inform him that you are sending him "something" and to please not open it until you get there for your audition.

You should be able to figure out the rest :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 am 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
creecy wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
Amateur mistake.

Yes, that's regularly referred to as the "Ambush Method". Efective, but rather low class. You're essentially asking the manager to make a descision right now in a public setting - putting him on the spot is a bad idea and will typically shorten your stay at the establishment.

creecy wrote:

1: Send promotional kit.
2: Call ahead and ask to meet with them today to discuss it.
3: Show up.

Getting work at chain restaurants isn't hard - if you know what you're doing. Many entertainers shy away from chains because of the beurocratic nature of the business; but the fact is the manager has the final say.

What do you mean a promotional kit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 pm 
Penguin

I personally think the 1st trick you show to the manager is one that has a big impact and is intimate. Something he/she will never forget. It doesn't have to be your best trick but something that a lot of people like and will get someone's attention. Hope it helps!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:32 pm 
born to perform.

kconnors wrote:
Sankey says.....Just one of his ideas...not mine.

Mail the Mgr. an Invisible Deck...seal it with instructions NOT to open it.

Call the Mgr. and inform him that you are sending him "something" and to please not open it until you get there for your audition.

You should be able to figure out the rest :)

That's actually a really good idea - provided they don't open it.

orcishorde:
Check the Essays area for info on that.

Post subject: How to approach a Resturant Manager for a Resturant Gig....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:10 am 
Penguin

Ok Guys all these are great... especially the NO FIRE SUGGESTION!!!!!
I worked in Resturant Business for 15 years, 3 of those were as a Resturant manager. Now days I'm a full time mobile entertainer. Four days a week I'm Twisting balloons & doing Magic in 4 resturants. Your whole job as a "Resturant Entertainer" is to be or do something different to draw people into that resturant besides just to get something to eat & drink! The way I approach a resturant manager is first off as a customer. I'll go into the resturant a few time to eat. Then I'll try to get to know the manager. And after a while he'll ask you, " WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING"? "BANG THERE's YOUR OPEN DOOR" Any good manager wants to know what his "Regular" customers do for a living. By letting him make the first move.... You can then be totally open to hit him with your BEST TRICK! You can then say ... "Well Let me show you!" I did this at just one of my weekly resturants, now I'm working @ 4 of them. They are a small independly owned chain of Mexican Resturants. After doing your best trick, (Not Using Fire) then you ask him. "Have you ever thought about having someone do some entertainment in your resturant"? Then if he seems instrested, tell him this. Look Give me a try one night..... and all you have to do is feed me when I'm finished! If nothing else you get a free meal out of the "TRAIL GIG". What happens if he says yes... YOU GOT A GIG FOR THE NIGHT AND A FREE MEAL! Then at the end of the night as you are eating your meal... You and the manager can sit down and talk about the night! Just remember, Have a price already in your head how much you want to be paid. But also have your lowest price you'll go in mind too. And also make sure what ever price you settle on ... you still ask for the free meal when you work. Most resturants will do that. Sometimes they will say yes but only from sertain items on the menu or say they can give you a meal for half price. Eather way you are getting food and payment for doing something you love!

(DJ) Mighty Mike