View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pay Day
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 pm 
born to perform.

When do you guys get paid for performing at a restaurant? I would imagine the same night, if it was a one time deal. But if you work out a long term deal, do you get paid every night?

Also, do you receive checks or cash? If you receive checks, do they take out taxes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

Depends if your 16 or not for takes - well in Canada anyway. I'm trying to get hired by a number of restaurants at the moment, but nothing is confirmed. So I really can't tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 pm 
born to perform.

I'm 29. The reason I ask, is because on Sat. I'll be insured. Then I can start calling arround, handing out cards, ect.. Once I earn a certain amount of money, I'll have to get tax ID numbers and pay taxes. But if most restaurants take out taxes, that would be a big help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:15 am 

I see that your in WI. So U.S. IRS rules apply. You can use your soc. sec number for taxes or apply for an EIN from IRS. Make no difference.

As an entertainer you work for YOURSELF with all the responsibilities for taxes on you. The restaurant may ask you for a 1099 form which identifies you as an independent contractor. You are not an employee of the restaurant, that is why you need the liability insurance to protect the restaurant.

What I do, and most of the pros I know, is set aside a percentage of the fees I receive in a savings account and then every quarter I send the IRS those funds with my quarterly taxes. I don't include any tip money I receive as this is never reported by the tippers, so I don't worry about it.

For better information check with the local IRS office or with you ACCOUNTANT, not a bookkeeper, but a CPA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:55 pm 

Paddy, although people may get away with not reporting tips, they are technically obliged to, are they not?

Mind you, I'm sure the IRS is more concerned about workers reporting tips in some industries (e.g., food services) than in others.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc402.html

"All tips you receive are considered income and are subject to federal income tax. You must include in gross income all tips you receive directly from customers, tips from charge customers that are paid to you by your employer, and your share of any tips you receive under a tip–splitting arrangement with fellow employees.

If you did not report tips to your employer, you must report them as income on your return, and you may owe social security and Medicare taxes on them. Complete Form 4137 (PDF), Social Security and Medicare Tax On Unreported Tip Income, and attach the form to your return. Include the amounts from Form 4137 on the appropriate lines of Form 1040."

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/n ... 111299.asp

"Tip reporting isn't limited to restaurant employees. Anyone who gets a salary or wages and collects tips -- cab drivers, hairdressers, club attendants, performers -- must report tips as income."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:19 pm 
born to perform.

HmMmM

Well i live in Australia and i work every Saturday nights in La Piazza (Restaurant) and i get cash in hand at the end of every night + tips

I dont pay tax on any of it because its cash in hand and even if i was to get taxed i wouldnt care i would get the money back anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:21 pm 

Notice, I said to check with IRS. Yes they say that all tips must be reported. I should have said I do report some but less than half of what I really get. Yes if caught the lesson in "creative accounting" can cost 3 to 5 years. Plus intrest plus 50% penalties.

IRS does have a temper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:36 pm 
born to perform.

^

ouch, that seems harsh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:29 pm 
Penguin

Hey I happen to like the IRS!!! But wait...... I also happen to think that Elvis was taken by aliens, Michael Jackson is great with kids, Santa Clause married the tooth fairy and that magic is for weird people with to much time on there hands!! LOL-Before anyone gets mad at me I was just kidding especially about the magic part. But I think that you should keep a record of tips and report say about fifty percent. As paddy said tips are given in appreciation and while they are earned they are not earned for work done. So show enough to look like your reporting but keep the rest. :roll: "I am sorry sir but I don't work tips. Yes sir I am positive. Look at my contract. Oh wait it has seemed to dissappear. :roll: HA HA :lol: