View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Epiphany
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:03 am 
Penguin

I was watching TV and a carnival cruise ship advertisement came on. When it was over I thought how great it would be to get a job doing walk around on a cruise ship. 1 you travel around the world 2 your getting paid 3 your getting paid for performing magic. I have been doing table magic for only 2 years at a few state colleges and I love. But how great would it be to do it on a cruise ship plus you probably would get time off in kinds of different places across the world. I will soon be talking with a few cruise ship companies to see if they are interested. Has anyone here ever worked on a cruise ship?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:34 pm 
Penguin

i haven't but that would be really cool and fun to get to go on a cruise for free (even if you're working-but it would be fun work)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 am 
born to perform.

I have looked into it, and I know a guy who did Hawaiian cruise work (entertainment) for a long time.
The schedule is seven days a week, working for the majority of each and every day. It's a very committed venture to undertake.

Post subject: Re: My Epiphany
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:52 pm 
Team Penguin

myheadismt wrote:
I was watching TV and a carnival cruise ship advertisement came on. When it was over I thought how great it would be to get a job doing walk around on a cruise ship. 1 you travel around the world 2 your getting paid 3 your getting paid for performing magic. I have been doing table magic for only 2 years at a few state colleges and I love. But how great would it be to do it on a cruise ship plus you probably would get time off in kinds of different places across the world. I will soon be talking with a few cruise ship companies to see if they are interested. Has anyone here ever worked on a cruise ship?

Cruise ships do book magicians...

I have many friends who work, and have worked cruise ships. They say that it seems like it is going to be a lot of fun at first...but then it gets REALLY old, REALLY fast.

They said that the first week you do it, it's great...because it's like a vacation...then suddenly the next week you realize that there is nothing to do after you perform...therefore you are stranded on a boat, with thousands of people you don't know. Crews are different on different trips, and passengers are always different on each trip, so it's not like you can make a friend on the ship that you can hang out with when you aren't performing.

It seems glamourous...but everyone I've talked to about said it was good experience, but they didn't enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm 
Team Penguin

Paul Romhany just published a book devoted entirely to performing on cruise ships. Might be in your best interest to pick it up. You better make sure you are OK on a boat though lol. Projectile vomiting for me haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I was able to do a small stint on a cruise ship and like Kyle said, it's not what it seems. It's a blast, the first couple of days; and then it slowly goes down hill from there. The last week, I spent the majority of my free time in my room, away from everyone because I had gotten sick of people continually asking me to "show them a trick" or asking how something was done.

Also, before you even think about applying, make sure you have a great act. It's not like a one night thing where you can leave. You're there stuck with your audience. Which means if you suck, you will be torn apart. So it's a must that your show is great. Plus, if your show isn't, you won't stand a chance of getting hired.

I would highly recommend that you do some research on the subject before trying to get a booking. And make sure you have nothing holding you back, because these stints on a cruise ship are a huge commitment. For the most part, you will be booked for an extended time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:32 pm 
born to perform.

Here's Paul Romhany's book as Mark stated:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... p?ID=11136