View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Annoying Busboy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:03 am 
Penguin

Well I've got a funny thing going on. Background: About 2 months into my gig some guy comes off the street tells the manager he wants to try out for the magician job. She tells him they have a magican and there are no tryouts. So he goes to the local drugstroe, buys a deck of cards, comes back and starts doing "grandpas" card tricks. Well they kicked him out. Now about two weeks ago after new management comes in, turns out the new manager hired this guy as a bus boy. So on to the current problem:
A couple came in to eat and were showing they're anniversary waltz souvinerre to the waitress asking about me when this guy comes up AND TELLS THEM HOW ITS DONE!!!! Apparently he got some info on the internet and he's going around exposing my act. Any thoughts guys, what would you all do besides kill him the next time you see him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:57 am 
born to perform.

Immediately go to the Owner and/or Manager of the restaurant and let him/her know what occurred, (both in the guy's previous attempts at obtaining a Magician position as well as the exposure of the illusion). If necessary, remind the Manager how such an action ruins the experience of the customer(s) and works to not only prevent you from effectively performing the job for which you were hired; but is not conducive to repeat or word-of-mouth business for the restaurant.

That guy's actions are equivalent of you walking over to him when he has a tub full of dishes and silverware and knocking it out of his hands. He has purposefully and maliciously sabotaged your work and has sought to negatively effect the customers and, ultimately, the profits of the establishment; apparently in hopes of positioning himself in a role he has previously been denied and/or determined to be unskilled in that he feels he is entitled to.

Nip it in the bud. Be professional and don't even give him the satisfaction of a confrontation. Show your employers how his actions were malicious, deliberate and that they negatively affected their customers and, ultimately, the potential profits of the establishment. Bet they instruct him in no uncertain terms that he is not to do any such thing ever again, lest he be terminated. If it was me, (as the Owner/Manager), I'd even tell the guy that he wasn't to bring cards or any other known magic items into the restaurant going forward and that doing so would cause his immediate termination from employment and banning from the property.

Let us know what you do and how it goes!

Last edited by RadioRob on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 pm 

Man, I was going to say catch him in the back one night, but Rob's answer's better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

Hey casmith. That is quite the issue you have.
I completely agree with Rob. Tell the manager, and ENSURE that he knows just how much of a problem it is for you, and especially HOW IT AFFECTS THE ESTABLISHMENT.
I am really sorry to hear that. It's sad that some people are so immature... :roll:

By the way, do you live anywhere near the Couer d'Alene area? Because if so, I would like to come by the restaurant and watch you perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am 
born to perform.

If in the rare case the manager/owner doesn't settle the matter to your satisfaction or if there is someone else out there with a similar problem, there is a legal way to help them to Cease and Desist their invasive actions.
This can be done without out an expensive and lengthy, attorney lawsuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm 
Penguin

So I have an email in to the owner of the restaurant and I'll be speaking with the manager on Friday. In the email to the owner (who I actually work for) I really emphasized the hurt to the business, and I'll do the same thing with the manager.

cameronb: I'm actually out of Lewiston around 100miles south of Coure D'Alene area.

EZrhythm: thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the bosses will take care of it.

Thanks Guys
Christopher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Thanks for telling us Christopher, I hope this jerk gets what he deserves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:40 pm 
Team Penguin

You should have talked to the Bust Boy before taking the issue to the Bossman.

you could have easily approached him and told him your feelings about what he's doing and ask him politely to stop.

If the problem persisted after this, THEN take it to the Owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:37 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
You should have talked to the Bust Boy before taking the issue to the Bossman.

you could have easily approached him and told him your feelings about what he's doing and ask him politely to stop.

If the problem persisted after this, THEN take it to the Owner.

You have a very valid point. And I did consider doing that but, I don't see him every time that I'm working and I don't have time to hunt him down, and the other thing is I feel like a little more authority may be needed here. This guy tried to muscle in on me a few months ago, and he's currently ruining things, and if he really was a magician instead of some kid looking for attention by revealing effects it would be different. I'm wondering if he thinks that by exposing the effects the manager will have him do magic and get rid of me. He simply needs be told to stop.

I appreciate your opinion.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm 
born to perform.

I believe that since he has previously been turned away that he has already been warned and that no further warning is necessary. The previous manager didn't want him there, so this one should support your view as well. I'm sure it will all work out soon. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:04 am 

Chris, this is the reason God invented the 38 revolver. :D OK to be serious you did the right thing. This SOB is trying to ruin your reputation and career and you are protecting both by going to the owner and informing him.

I know that Kyle is concerned about "fair play," but he is not being fair with you by trying to destroy your gig.

Post subject: The Conclusion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:53 pm 
Penguin

Well, here it is. And I gotta tell you guys this is the weirdest thing. I ended up talking to the general manager today and she said the guy no longer works for them. Apparently he had also been running his mouth about how he was going to become a server; he was also leaving whenever he wanted, not showing up, and finally never came back.

I may be tootin my horn here but I really think based on the previous times he came in to try to get the "magician job", the fact that he was so obviously exposing effects, that he thought he could get the gig, and when it became apparent that wasn't going to happen, he just left.

All in all he's probably just some person who doesn't really have any direction in his life and he's just bouncing from thing to thing. At any length: he came, he made things stink, he left. Thanks everyone who contributed. Free drink on me if youre ever down my way.

My deep never ending love
Christopher

Post subject: Re: The Conclusion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:27 pm 
born to perform.

casmith518 wrote:
Free drink on me if youre ever down my way.

Sweet! maybe in a couple of years... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:10 pm 
Penguin

That is a scary story. I am glad things worked out! I would have been very angry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:33 pm 
Penguin

I'm really impressed at how that was handled. I've had similar situations and while you want to be patient you really cant handle them somtimes. I've stopped a few people from trying to spoil my routines before, and as long as you keep good relations with your boss then it doesnt really matter what else happens