View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:58 am 
Penguin

My bar is an exception to that assumption. Probably because I am good friends with the owners, been drinking there since they opened, I bring in lots of patrons and work as sues-chef in the grill. :lol:

Not to say I havent bar hopped with magic. As there are 4 of them within walking distance of my bar.

But I do have a standing show at my bar once a month. And by standing show I dont mean stage or busking. I usually table hop, walk our patio and upper deck. I stay away from the bar area as its usually packed with people after drinks.
And this method works for me. Not saying it will work well for others, there are some draw backs.

My way doesnt make the most money either, tip wise. As not every one knows I have a tip jar. Which is fine for me. I do this mostly for fun and to get other jobs. Thus I get an hourly pay and free drinks from the patrons. Which is great for me, cause I tend to drink alot. Alot of shots. :lol:

Part of this missunderstanding PAddy is taking about is partially cause by places like AppleBees calling them self a Bar and Grill, when they are more of a restaurant in looks and actions. Now whether they are a true bar, I havent done the research. I dont care for the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
That might tell us a lot about who we're dealing with.

The reference to the "pharoah shuffle" pretty much told me all I need to know. :wink:

Getting back to the topic at hand, though... are there any guys here who do bar magic from behind the bar as per Doc Eason as opposed to bar walkaround? I'm curious about how much of that type of performance actually goes on these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 pm 
Penguin

TheCaffeinator wrote:
DaveV wrote:
That might tell us a lot about who we're dealing with.

The reference to "pharoah shuffle" pretty much told me all I need to know. :wink:

Getting back to the topic at hand,though... are there any guys here who do bar magic from behind the bar as per Doc Eason as opposed to bar walkaround?

I could see that causing a lot of problems in a busy bar. The Bartenders are running around so much, making drinks, getting orders, getting checks. I would feel in their way.

But then it depends on the bar. I personally wouldnt feel that it would work at my bar. But thats not to say it cant work else where, as it must.

I might just try it on a semi-busy night or try our out side bar.
As I could the great possiblities with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm 
Penguin

when you guys pass around a tip jar arent you afraid that some jack@$$ will take some out of your tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 pm 

claytonlc15 wrote:
when you guys pass around a tip jar arent you afraid that some jack@$$ will take some out of your tips
No. to pass the hat or tip jar is just that. You hold it and pass it in front of the spectators so they can drop money in. You never let anyone else touch your jar or hat and keep their fingers attached to their hands.

You have never seen a busker have you.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 pm 
Penguin

I have seen buskers before. It was always on the street though and they had a jar or other tip vessel on the ground infront of them and performed as people filtered in and out of the croud. When the term "passing the tip jar" was mentioned above, I didn't know if you meant passing it from person to person in the bar or holding it and walking around.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:40 pm 
born to perform.

Caff and DavieG very good posts. Working a bar would have some pitfalls and would take a very good entertainer to handle the mix of problems involved in that setting. So hats off to those that successfully do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:46 pm 
born to perform.

Performing behind a bar is one thing I've never done. I have seen a few guys do it, usually the bar tender himself. I did notice it recently on the new Paul Harris True Astonishment set. Several of the effects are presented by Bro Gilbert from behind the bar. I had a feeling that he had been working there/had known the owner/had some kind of strange influence. I didn't see if he was pouring drinks too. Does anyone know the story there?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 am 

The only problem working bars is the drunks. You can get hassled by guys after a few too many and it can screw up your performance. Same problem working the street after 10 PM, the bar crowd can be a bear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:39 pm 
born to perform.

Hey Paddy,

That's a crazy story! What in the world gave you the idea to print up fliers and pass them out? Sounds like it worked really well if you made some money for your trip.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 pm 

Bro. Paul west on his CD "X Marks The Spot" tells the story of how he got into busking by see a musician doing that. So he tried it with magic and it worked. And it does work very well. If things get a little tight on my wallet Ior if I am bored as heck 'll go do that. set a minimum goal of $100 to $200 and go work until I make that goal. If it comes real easy then I keep working until I feel like quitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 am 
Penguin

I work at a bar in Portland, Or. (the kind with the Cheers atmosphere) as a bartender who performs tricks. Typically I have a few decks of bicycle cards stashed around work and carry a TT. With bills and coins being readily available, and the knowledge of some sleights, I am good to go. I do try to stay away from gimmicks, however I always have a couple of bills stashed in my wallet at all times.

I have found numerous advantages to being in the position of being a performer and bartender. For me it gives me loads of practice time with a fairly captive audience. Also, I can try out new ideas, tricks on a nightly basis with out feeling any pressure on since I am not being "paid" by the establishment. This has also given me time to hone my skill sets, as well as boost my confidence in performing. It has also boosted my tips. It is also an ice breaker for a new customer, and gives all customers a reason to come back.

But just like anything there are the downsides. One of the main disadvantages to me is, I was hired as a bartender, and on numerous occasions, my "job" duties have messed with the ebb and flow of the trick/routine, and sometimes affects the reaction at the climax. I have also found that people expect a trick on command, regardless of how busy I might be. And frankly, no matter how much I enjoy performing, sometimes I just don't have it in me.

All in all the goods that come out of being a bartender and performer at the same time outweigh the disadvantages by ten fold. I feel like my magic has come leaps and bounds in the past year. Not to mention, I am basically getting paid to practice.